Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-11, 03:35 PM  
Lorelai

Tracey Malletts' Pilates vs. Andrea Rogers' Pilates

I'm interested in Tracey Mallett's Pilates Super Sculpt and Andrea Leigh Rogers' 10 Minute Solution Quick Sculpt Pilates, but I can't afford to buy both right now (and I really mean that, so no enabling! ). Taking into account both the workout, especially creativity and the "interest factor," and the instructor, which would you choose and why? I'd love to hear your opinions! I've had experience with pilates and am trying to get back into shape, so I'm looking for a routine I can grow into/with. Also, I'd like it to not put me to sleep... can't really engage the core when I'm yawning through the routine! And let's face it, some pilates videos are just like that...

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 03:45 PM  
moonbeam31

good question! I do have the 10 Min. Solution Quick Sculpt Pilates w/Andrea and love it! I think it is quite challenging! It is not boring at all, very fast paced really, and you can customize your workout like all 10 min Solution workouts. I was eyeing the Tracey Mallet Pilates that uses the same ball and I know I do not need both myself.
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 03:51 PM  
daisysunshine

do you have the ball?
if you don't have the ball - I'd get the 10 min sol (which is good). and then save up and get the Tracey - then you already HAVE the ball

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 03:56 PM  
topfitmama

I think Pilates Super Sculpt is great. Tracey does a lot of slower moves that help you control your body, and then she ups the tempo and adds little pulses for some added burn. The final stretch is amazing!
I've only been doing Pilates for 18 months and not that regularly, and I can keep up with the workout.

10MS workouts often feel a bit "choppy" because there is the short stretch, a break, and the music introducing the new segment. PSS flows with no breaks. I've viewed clips of the 10MS one and it seems to go too fast for me, but I haven't tried the workout, so don't take my word for that!

PSS is a bit more expensive, and if you don't have the ball I would recommend buying one (not expensive, but it does add up!) or finding a squishy ball that has a little bit of grip so it won't be sliding out from under your tailbone like my playground ball does (annoying!)
PSS is also highly tradeable if you find you don't like it...
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 04:14 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysunshine View Post
do you have the ball?
if you don't have the ball - I'd get the 10 min sol (which is good). and then save up and get the Tracey - then you already HAVE the ball
Ah, great point! Part of the reason I'm looking at these two workouts is because of the ball (I like the idea of it supporting the lower back, and eventually increasing the difficulty). I guess I just assumed since they were comparable in price that both came with a ball... my bad!

Any comments on instructors? I haven't had much exposure to either, though eventually I'll have my eye on both Booty Barre and Xtend Barre...

I know that 10 Minute Solutions can be choppy, which is part of the reason why I don't own any yet, but I don't think I'd mind for pilates all that much.

Old 02-09-11, 04:17 PM  
Suzan66

Tracy's new pilates.. hands down.
Suzan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 04:18 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
PSS is also highly tradeable if you find you don't like it...
This is true...

Or, since it doesn't come with equipment, I'll see if my library will buy it and see how I like it before I buy it! (And this is how I end up with no tradeable dvds... I'm on such a budget that I have to be pretty certain I'll like it before buy it, and if I'm wavering, then I just ask the library to buy or interlibrary loan for me).

Old 02-09-11, 05:02 PM  
topfitmama

Lorelei
there is a version of Pilates Super Sculpt on Pilates Anytime. You get a 2 week trial period if you sign up.

Also, if you want to try a workout with the small ball for free there is one on www.ultimatepilatesworkouts.com
All you need to do is sign up for the Basic Membership (free) and you can see all the mat and small equipment workouts. The small ball workout is just under 30 minutes. There are some really good ones using bands and a stability ball.
Downloads are not expensive either.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 05:56 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I like both, but if I had to choose one, it'd be Tracey's because it moves a bit more slowly and fluidly and I think it'd be more effective.
But, again, both are good!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 06:06 PM  
juberann

I agree (once again) with LuckyStar I have both, think both instructors are wonderful but I would also pick Tracey's Pilates Super Sculpt, it just flows better. However, both are excellent!! Have you tried trading for one or both of them?
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
andrea leigh rogers, mini ball, pilates, pilates mini ball, pilates super sculpt, quick sculpt pilates, tracey mallett