Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-09, 10:48 AM  
daisysunshine

Let's Talk Playground Balls....

Okay - so I have to ask because a LOT of workouts require you to have some sort of playground ball - what exactly are they asking for.

I do have my YBB Squishy Ball [but I know that's not really what you can use for a LOT of workouts - and it's getting very unsquishy too].

My Walmart [In Toronto] has a BIG bucket o'balls, but they are usually plastic [and BIG]. are those okay, or i'm supposed to look for something else? Where would I look somewhere else? Would my medicine ball work in some aspects?

I need PGBall help thanks much!

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 11:17 AM  
prettyinpink

I use a Gaiam Pilates ball that I got from Target. I think it's 6-7 inches across. It is about the same size as the small playground balls that come in packs of 2 or 3 at Target, but it seems a little bit firmer, and we have had quite a few of those balls and they tend to lose their air after a while.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 09:39 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

A playground ball is about 6-8 inches across, and filled with air. It's not a weighted med ball. (I used to have a couple of them when I was a kid, because we lived right next to a grade school, and if a ball got thrown or kicked into our yard, it was mine!)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 10:05 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I usually pick up playground balls at my local supermarket for 99 cents. They are the perfect size and some are even have a textured grip. After a few weeks they even have the right squishiness. Physique 57 and other sites sell them for $10-12, plus shipping!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 06:03 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Dollar Tree has small playground balls for 99 cents that are about 7 inches in diameter. The one I have has a little lamb on it and is a neon lime green color.

I have also bought a child's volleyball (Target) that is maybe 8 inches in diameter, that is plastic with some texture to it for a bit more money ($6, I think.) Mine is lime green again, and works best to put behind back for ab work.

You can also use mini balls that are used for pilates exercises that Wal-Mart sells that are smaller in size but squishy. Can't remember the brand off the top of my head but it's pink and is boxed on the shelf in the sporting goods/fitness section.

Wal-Mart also sells a childs ball that is textured, rubbery with cartoon characters on them that is more like a dodge ball (but much smaller) with some texture on the surface for easier gripping. It's in with the swimming summer clearance items (or could be in the toy section of the store?) I think those are $3.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 06:41 PM  
Orlita

I use a children's shiny red soccer ball. Got it at Target, I think. I've only used it for Squeeze. It was OK. A more grippy texture would be better.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 07:39 PM  
steakhousegirl

I have found that I can't get a good grip with the balls so I have subbed a yoga block. Much better!

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 09:27 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

For Physique 57 DVDs, I have been using a squishy ball that I bought in a toy store for less than a dollar. It has a sticky surface that works great for the squeezing standing exercises.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ball, mini ball, physique 57, playground ball