Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-03-14, 03:42 PM  
Jewels5

If you can't do lunges do you just skip them altogether or substitute?

I can no longer do lunges due to bone spurs in my big toe, and in my new search for lower body workouts I am realizing this includes a lot of workouts! If you can't do them do you just skip them altogether, or is there something you substitute them with? I realize there are certain strength workouts I could lift my back leg onto a platform like a step, etc. but some workouts move too fast for this. I'm wondering if by skipping them altogether I will work my legs unbalanced? Thanks for any ideas or tips!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 03:49 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Right now I'm just skipping them in the hopes that I will be able to do them eventually. Since I can do most other lower body moves I figure I'm still getting a beneficial workout.

Other times I just squat to the side or lunge to the side (if that doesn't bother your injury)

I think lunges bother a lot of people in different places because they are not an easy exercise.

I generally do lower body workouts at my own pace if I think the dvd is moving too fast for me.
Old 07-03-14, 03:51 PM  
cristinalatina

Are static lunges a problem for you as well, Julie?
Old 07-03-14, 03:56 PM  
sciencelady

I assume your pain during lunges is in the back foot with the toe fully extended supporting your weight? An alternate exercise would be a one leg squat while holding on to a TRX (any suspension trainer) or towel looped around something sturdy or knotted on one end and put over the top of a door. Float the back leg either in back (suspended lunge) or front (pistol squat) as you bend your weight supporting leg - use your arms on the support as much as you need to get up. Worked for me when I had a injured big toe.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 03:58 PM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Right now I'm just skipping them in the hopes that I will be able to do them eventually. Since I can do most other lower body moves I figure I'm still getting a beneficial workout.

Other times I just squat to the side or lunge to the side (if that doesn't bother your injury)

I think lunges bother a lot of people in different places because they are not an easy exercise.

I generally do lower body workouts at my own pace if I think the dvd is moving too fast for me.
Jane, thanks for your reply! So if I understand correctly, when you say "lunge to the side" do you mean as in V? I never thought of doing them that way, and I suppose this would work without flexing my back toe? (That is my issue with lunges.) That sounds like a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristinalatina View Post
Are static lunges a problem for you as well, Julie?
Cristina, I could do static lunges as long as I could prop my foot up on something behind me, like a chair or a step/riser. The issue is such that I can't flex my big toe. ETA: Not sure if that made sense, but I could keep the top of my foot flat on the step, without flexing the toes.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Old 07-03-14, 04:07 PM  
sciencelady

Flex or extend on that toe? Flexion in the toe is curling it down to the botttom of your foot (your sole), extension is pulling it up towards the top of your foot.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 04:08 PM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady View Post
I assume your pain during lunges is in the back foot with the toe fully extended supporting your weight? An alternate exercise would be a one leg squat while holding on to a TRX (any suspension trainer) or towel looped around something sturdy or knotted on one end and put over the top of a door. Float the back leg either in back (suspended lunge) or front (pistol squat) as you bend your weight supporting leg - use your arms on the support as much as you need to get up. Worked for me when I had a injured big toe.
Yes, this is correct! I have degenerative tissue in my toe joint, where the big toe meets the foot, so it's something I need to avoid rather than work through the pain. It's not even painful when I flex it, but rather the pain ends up coming later. Thanks so much for this tip. My elliptical is in my workout space so maybe I could loop the towel around the top part somehow to use for support. This is a great idea also and something I'm going to try~ Thank you!!

Old 07-03-14, 04:13 PM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady View Post
Flex or extend on that toe? Flexion in the toe is curling it down to the botttom of your foot (your sole), extension is pulling it up towards the top of your foot.
Oops--It is extension of the toe I am referring to. So this also includes barre workouts on the balls of the feet, and some yoga moves, if that makes more sense, or gives a better visual. I had to look up an image, thank goodness for Google!

Old 07-03-14, 04:17 PM  
marya

Foot and knee issues make lunges problematic for me, too. If a workout has too many lunges, I usually joni-o it. (Especially if it also has too many squats, which I .) But occasionally I'll modify/substitute. My most effective lunge substitutes are leg extensions (standing or seated) or front kicks.

To modify, I use a ramp (a/k/a Walkblaster). It's an inclined version of a step. You could place your injured foot on the incline and avoid any flexion or extension of the toe. The angle also eases stress on the knee.

I don't think Ramp/Walkblasters are manufactured anymore, but they do turn up in thrift stores and on ebay. Some Google vendors still advertise them.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 04:17 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

My problem is in the arch of the bent foot. It gets really painful for me, so no lunges at the moment.

For side lunges just step out to the side and bend the moving leg, and push your rear end back. Keep the stationery leg straight. You can do it one of two ways. You can keep the toe forward or you can point it to the side, sort of a one legged plié. When you do it this way it helps to lunge sideways onto a step because an elevated surface makes it easier.

Another option is to imitate yoga warrior lunges where the back leg and foot remain straight (and pointed to the side) while the front leg lunges forward.
This is another situation where lunging onto an elevated, but stable, surface makes things easier.

There are several good side lunge demos on youtube

Tags
lunges, modification for lunges, modifications, substitutes