Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-14, 09:18 PM  
bfit

constantly getting DOMS on and between shoulder blades

I'm always getting DOMS along and between my shoulder blades in the upper back. It's not an injury, but it's really sore. It's on both sides but worse on the left. I get it from any type of rowing exercise (including upright rows), from planks, burpees, pushups, and anything that puts me close to a pushup position, and some yoga moves like cobra and downward facing dog. I can do an entire tough upper body workout, and the only thing that gets sore is the shoulder blades. You'd think by now that part of my body would be conditioned like the rest, but this is just a constant problem. What muscles are these anyway? Are there any good stretches for that area? Does anyone have any ideas?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 11:59 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

the arms part of eagle pose always works for me after a long row
Old 07-24-14, 12:45 AM  
starbelly

Have you tried ball rolling? Perhaps you store too much tension in your upper back and tight muscles cannot fire properly. Practicing tension release through trigger point therapy or ball rolling (Yamuna or Jill Miller) may help to balance you out.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 02:07 AM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post
Have you tried ball rolling? Perhaps you store too much tension in your upper back and tight muscles cannot fire properly. Practicing tension release through trigger point therapy or ball rolling (Yamuna or Jill Miller) may help to balance you out.
I second this suggestion.The muscles in question are most likely the rhomboids---they help stabilize the scapula in the moves you describe. They are very susceptible to trigger point formation due to "modern posture" problems such as extended time at the computer/desk etc. There are also muscle imbalances that can contribute to discomfort in that region. For example, too much chest work/lack of posterior delt work can cause forward shoulder rounding that makes the rhomboids work harder to stabilize the scapulae. Consider a trial of rolling/stretching the region as suggested to see if that helps. Stretching the chest muscles might also be beneficial. HTH.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 07:06 AM  
bubbles76

I have the same problem, I think. It feels like it's almost underneath the shoulder blades. The left is worse for me too. It doesn't always happen, but when it does it is quite sore. The only thing that helped me was going to a chiropractor and massage therapist. After twenty five sessionis with both, all the soreness was gone! However, it did come back because I had to stop going.

I have tried ball therapy and heat, but usually only when the soreness starts. How long and how often does one have to do ball therapy to see long term relief? And how does one know if they are working the chest more than the back? I hear people mention that Cathe's older strength workouts work the chest more than back, but how does one tell? Counting reps? Sets? Number of exercises?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 07:20 AM  
Fit Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
I second this suggestion.The muscles in question are most likely the rhomboids---they help stabilize the scapula in the moves you describe. They are very susceptible to trigger point formation due to "modern posture" problems such as extended time at the computer/desk etc. There are also muscle imbalances that can contribute to discomfort in that region. For example, too much chest work/lack of posterior delt work can cause forward shoulder rounding that makes the rhomboids work harder to stabilize the scapulae. Consider a trial of rolling/stretching the region as suggested to see if that helps. Stretching the chest muscles might also be beneficial. HTH.
i second this
Fit Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 08:14 PM  
noodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
For example, too much chest work/lack of posterior delt work can cause forward shoulder rounding that makes the rhomboids work harder to stabilize the scapulae.
Yes this is what caused my scapula pain. It would wake me at night and made any sleeping position difficult, at times there was a numb feeling as well. I always thought I needed to stretch my back more but my therapist gave me chest stretches that resolved the problem.
Hope it improves for you soon.
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 08:28 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
You'd think by now that part of my body would be conditioned like the rest, but this is just a constant problem. What muscles are these anyway? Are there any good stretches for that area? Does anyone have any ideas?
Lower/Mid traps, sounds like . Not sure why you are getting it over and over. Are you constantly introducing new exercises? If not, I wonder if this is really simple DOMS or if you're not irritating something in that area.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 12:49 AM  
GMonkey

I used to get this constantly. I went to the chiropractor
3X/week for 2 weeks, then gradually whittled it down to once ever 3-4 weeks. I also do the tennis ball rolling thing, hot rice sock, etc. Drinking enough water and taking a magnesium and calcium citrate supplement has also helped a great deal. I also increase the weights in workouts at a snail's pace, now.
GMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 08:17 AM  
BigBadBetty

I am not sure if the pain is in the same area. I had pain just below the shoulder blade towards the spine. I needed to strengthen my rotator cuff. My shoulder muscles were off balance. I did exercises similar to the ones here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...ons/000357.htm

I did not do the stretches. My shoulders were too mobile. It was too easy for me to get out of alignment. I could move my shoulders into positions that were really bad for me. It probably caused my problem.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shoulder, yamuna