Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-14, 11:29 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

sports bra complaint

it's hard enough finding a plus size sports bra

but now?!
glitter!! rhinestones!! sparkly...stuff!!!

I do work out at home so no one else sees me looking like a very confused tinkerbell

BUT
1) they itch!!!!
2) I hate them

any idea how to remove the little glued on *insert rude word here*?
Old 07-08-14, 01:32 AM  
knitter_mom

Oh yuck! Why would someone put those on a bra?

I know you didn't ask for bra recommendations, but I absolutely love Glamorize bras (I wear a 38 D, but was 40DD during the pregnancy years), and the sizes go up to 50 I. The support is incredible (the girls are where they belong!), with good comfort, durability and I don't need to have a separate bra for workouts. The shoulder straps are what really helps with the comfort, they aren't wimpy little strips of material like most bras. I usually get this one:

http://glamorise.com/magicliftr-active-support-bra.html

It has been about a year or so since I've brought one, I've been really impressed with how they hold up (years). And yes, I know, they aren't cheap, but I see them on sale at Penneys and Bare Necessities, and just having the girls up where they belong makes it very worth it to me

Kris
knitter_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 01:39 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitter_mom View Post
Oh yuck! Why would someone put those on a bra?

I know you didn't ask for bra recommendations, but I absolutely love Glamorize bras (I wear a 38 D, but was 40DD during the pregnancy years), and the sizes go up to 50 I. The support is incredible (the girls are where they belong!), with good comfort, durability and I don't need to have a separate bra for workouts. The shoulder straps are what really helps with the comfort, they aren't wimpy little strips of material like most bras. I usually get this one:

http://glamorise.com/magicliftr-active-support-bra.html

It has been about a year or so since I've brought one, I've been really impressed with how they hold up (years). And yes, I know, they aren't cheap, but I see them on sale at Penneys and Bare Necessities, and just having the girls up where they belong makes it very worth it to me

Kris
oooOOOooo I'll keep those in mind
ty
Old 07-08-14, 01:47 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

knitter mom--the main reason I don't wear bras that put things where they should be is that a) I CANNOT tolerate underwires, any underwires and b)I'm very sensitive to elastic and other things next to my skin, especially bra bands and waist bands. Bumpy or scratchy stitching is not acceptable.

Most structured bras irritate me to madness. I actually carry a soft cotton sports bra in my work bag in case the one I've worn to work makes me crazy. Then I don't care a bit about looks.

I'm interested in what the skin interface of these bras is like. The reviews mention that it's soft and non irritating, but I realize I'm the Princess and the Pea where this is concerned.

I'm ready to order one from Amazon but want to hear from you first.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 06:54 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraKate View Post
it's hard enough finding a plus size sports bra

but now?!
glitter!! rhinestones!! sparkly...stuff!!! ....
www.herroom.com has a great selection of bras, including sports bras, plus great customer service.

Just sayin'

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 08:00 AM  
suzannaerin

I think TitleNine is having a big sale, and they carry a wide selection of bras for all sizes. No glitter or rhinestones involved.

Happy shopping.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 10:21 AM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

Where are you finding glittery sparkly sports bras? I think I might actually like to have one of those.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 01:10 PM  
knitter_mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post

I'm interested in what the skin interface of these bras is like. The reviews mention that it's soft and non irritating, but I realize I'm the Princess and the Pea where this is concerned.

I'm ready to order one from Amazon but want to hear from you first.
I will do my best, I have boys who can't tolerate tags in their shirts and socks, so I have an idea of what you are looking for.

Okay, I grabbed a bra from my drawer, and I'll try and describe the straps and bands:
- - on the inside of the bra, the lower band (which is roughly an inch in height, not narrow) and the part with the actual hooks is a softer, very slightly "plushy" elastic and the part over the hooks is even softer (no elastic) than the lower band. You can feel the hooks through it, but only if you really press hard. The stitching is even, and there is a transition from the band to the lighter stretch fabric that forms the rest of the bra, it isn't perfectly smooth, it is a ridge, if that makes sense.
- - Mine do not have underwires (yuck), but they do have a wide, padded strip of fabric that goes around the cup like an underwire would, but is all fabric, seamed properly. There is even a crossing of this padded strip in the middle, for more support, I would assume.
- - The shoulder strap is a continuation of this padded strip and the strap in front is substantial, padded and stitched evenly. It changes over to a typical bra strap in the lower back, only because you need to make that part adjustable, and the thicker strap would not fit in the metal clasps, so there is a transition, which is a little rough (there is a small amount of fabric sticking out on edges) but considering they need to join two different thicknesses, it is as even as you could make it.
- - There is more elastic sewn into the binding on the part between the shoulder strap and under the arm, and this is a narrower piece of that softer, padded elastic described above (the lower band).

Overall, it isn't a seamless bra, with no transitions between the various parts, if that is what you are looking for (they do have a t-shirt bra that I haven't tried), but there are no "sticking out bits" and everything is sewn properly and as smoothly as possible. I just searched for an image of the inside of the bra - nowhere to be found - but feel free to ask for more details, I know finding a comfortable bra is key!

Edited to add that I am describing this bra (which is close to the Hallejuah bra from Title Nine, but just a little more padded in spots):

http://glamorise.com/the-ultimate-fu...sport-bra.html

Kris
Old 07-08-14, 01:22 PM  
knitter_mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
I think TitleNine is having a big sale, and they carry a wide selection of bras for all sizes. No glitter or rhinestones involved.

Happy shopping.
Title Nine is where I found the Glamorize bras years ago, it was one of their 4-5 dumbbell bras that I think was packaged for Title Nine (so the Glamorize name was tiny). Yep, they still carry it, the Hallejuah bra:

http://www.titlenine.com/product/317...rPicks&from=fn

Actually, I don't get the Magic Lift bras, I get this one:
http://glamorise.com/the-ultimate-fu...sport-bra.html

Sorry - I didn't scroll down far enough on the Glamorize page! I looked at the actual model number on my bra this time

Kris
Old 07-08-14, 07:11 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Thanks for the updates, knitter mom. I see Amazon has them on Prime for about $20. Nothing to lose so I'll get one.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote