Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-07, 01:55 PM  
DawnaRose

New TRX Suspension Training (also Inka Fitness)

Hi all! This product has been around for a while and it really intrigues me. I keep looking for someone to comment on this thing, but I've seen nothing. It's relatively inexpensive, portable, for home use, for both cardio, strength, and core, and appears to be researched and produced by educated, qualified individuals. Also very well made.

Here's the site:

www.fitnessanywhere.com The site has great video clips of exercise demos.

What does anyone think about this?

Dawna-Rose
DawnaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-07, 02:42 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

The core exercises look VERY hard!

Wow, the core routine in their preview of the Core exercise DVD looks very hard - and very effective. I don't have any doors around my exercise area that could support it and I couldn't justify spending $150-$200 for a pulley system but it looks very cool!
Old 02-08-07, 10:31 PM  
DawnaRose

Thanks Dawn. Perhaps the $150.00-180.00 price tag is a bit too much or out of reach for some vidiots (just for some straps, albiet very well made ones). I haven't bought it myself due to the cost. The TRX does come with a door gym, but it appears that there is more versatility in exercise selection if it is attached higher directly from the ceiling or from a horizontal branch outdoors, rather than from a door. Apparently classes are forming around the country. There are a few demos of group classes using the TRX. I think it looks absolutely fantastic! I'd like to totally replace my weights with this thing. Not sure that it could replace all solid weight training, but it appears to be an excellent alternative way to build strength (and cardio simultaneously depending upon the speed of the exercises).

Hasn't any one used TRX or some other type of suspension training? It's hard to justify the purchase without knowing more. The Inka system is similiar except that two straps are used instead of one and may be more suitable for less experienced exercisers. The Inka Fitness Strap system is coming out in April or May, I think. The Lifeline Jungle Gym Strap is also another product used for suspension training and can be used by women to begin pull up and chin ups training. The price is considerably cheaper, but is less versatile than the other two suspension training products. Suspension training also reminds me somewhat of aerial yoga training. But, so far I've not read any comments from any one whose actually used the TRX.

Also, I don't think the TRX is a pulley system. To change the strap length you reposition your hands up or down to the next set of hand grips. I could be wrong though.

thanks----

dawna-rose
Old 02-08-07, 11:42 PM  
DawnaRose

Another post to add a link that describes the TRX system:

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?stor...gory=gearguide

I also located a site which has DIY plans for making a suspension training rope very inexpensively. Post to PM if interested.

Dawna-Rose
Old 02-08-07, 11:54 PM  
swankyswimmer

You know what most appealed to me about that video on the first page of the
www.fitnessanywhere.com site?

I absolutely loved how it showed women with healthy, fit bodies. I get irritated when fitness shows or infomercials or advertisements show women who do not fit those descriptions. Yes, I realize that there are many different body types out there and that one is not necessarily better than the next, but it is just my personal preference.
swankyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 11:27 PM  
weighttrain
VF Supporter

I attended a TRX Suspension Training System Instructor Training yesterday. It was a last-minute workshop for a class of personal training students. I got lucky with a last-minute phone call from a frined, informing me that I could take the last spot open for the certification for half price.

We worked in all 3 planes of movement. I think my fanaticism for attending fitness seminars and workshops combined with my vidiocity helped with my ability to perform many of the exercises without difficulty. Exercising in different planes withour being grounded any props added a huge challenge. For instance, semi-supine chest presses on a slanted club step does not compare to performing the same movement while using the TRX.

I am not sure if I was sweating during the workout with the TRX due to the core stability challenge or if the controlled movement during suspension was a larger part of the feeling of an increased heart rate.

Our trainer, Mary Lou, is not listed on the website. She was a phenomenal presenter. Her background is very fitness-oriented; she was a competetive cyclist at a young age, she is a physical therapist and she is Stott pilates certified. She tied many other aspects of exercising safely and modifications as needed.

Most of the higher end gyms such as Equinox have Group TRX classes or the suspension training system set up as part of their personal training department.

I treated myself to 2 TRX training system apparatus yesterday. I needed a souvenir. or two.

Beth
Old 04-08-08, 05:24 AM  
roz

It looks like a really good piece of fitness equipment, but I would be way too self conscious to use it outside, and I am not sure how it hooks up inside.
Not that I am going to spend that much money for a piece of equipment.
But, I guess if I were this would definitely be something that would interest me.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 07:04 AM  
weighttrain
VF Supporter

You can attach it outside to a secure post, fence, playground equipment. The inside options are to attach it to an overhead or wall supporting structure or hang it from the top of the door in a similiar fashion to other fitness systems. The website explains options for anchoring the TRX.

Beth
Old 04-08-08, 07:15 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

It was here a while ago:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=109180

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 07:40 AM  
sciencelady

I've made my own "TRX system" by tying two 6' yoga straps to a pullup bar or sturdy wall hook and tying a loop on the bottom to hold onto - you can do most of the exercises shown (and they are very tough) without the investment.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jungle gym, jungle gym xt, trx