Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-21, 01:53 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Kate, I loved Joyland! I just got a notification that King has a new book coming out, and it looks like it could be similar to Joyland.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 02:09 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I just started The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah and I'm continuing Under Occupation by Alan Furst. Alan Furst's books are always about an everyday man who gets caught up in the events of WWII and seem more realistic than many other authors.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 04:31 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I used to be a big King fan. I often think of his short story Mrs Todd’s Shortcut during a certain part of my drive home. I lost interest in following him so closely with 11/22/63, which I didn’t much care for, and the one about a Buick 8.

Changing the subject a bit: I got a new Kindle e-reader during the fall. My old Kindle let me add books to collections (I used unread, keep, delete, etc.), then the individual titles would disappear from the main list so I only had a couple main pages consisting of collections to sort through. Now when I add a book to a collection it shows in the collection and stays in the whole list. It’s very quickly getting unwieldy. Any tips for keeping things organized?
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 06:35 PM  
BunnyHop

Hi everyone!

Lately I'm just listening to The Warden by Anthony Trollope on cd. Not feeling very bookish lately, and I like dozing off as someone reads to me, so this is a good solution for now.
Old 03-02-21, 06:37 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Kate, I loved Joyland! I just got a notification that King has a new book coming out, and it looks like it could be similar to Joyland.
Thanks for the heads up! Will definitely keep an eye out.

Quote:
Changing the subject a bit: I got a new Kindle e-reader during the fall. My old Kindle let me add books to collections (I used unread, keep, delete, etc.), then the individual titles would disappear from the main list so I only had a couple main pages consisting of collections to sort through. Now when I add a book to a collection it shows in the collection and stays in the whole list. It’s very quickly getting unwieldy. Any tips for keeping things organized?
I'm using the app on an Android tablet and just recently organized stuff into Collections. The Home page still shows the most recent books, but if I click on Library it shows my Collections. Not sure if it works like that on the Kindle itself since my old Fire died.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 08:38 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Deb, I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one who wasn't a huge fan of 11/22/63 since it's a favorite of so many. Overall, I probably enjoy his older stuff more, but there have been some recent books by him that I have liked. I do think I tend to find more annoyances in his more recent writing - or maybe I find more annoyances with everything I read as I get older.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 03-02-21, 09:27 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Deb, I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one who wasn't a huge fan of 11/22/63 since it's a favorite of so many. Overall, I probably enjoy his older stuff more, but there have been some recent books by him that I have liked. I do think I tend to find more annoyances in his more recent writing - or maybe I find more annoyances with everything I read as I get older.
Years ago I figured out that if I was reading Stephen King novels, I was depressed.

Since then I've read some, enjoyed some and tolerated the others. Not a fan of the horrifying stuff, I like the more subtle aspects of his best work.

Not a huge fan of 11/22/63.

If you haven't read it yet, try Ken Grimwood's Replay. He relives his life to entertaining and thought provoking effect.
Old 03-03-21, 07:15 AM  
Cher

I just finished Four Winds by Kristin Hannah and The Dollhouse by Fiona Davis. I needed something a little lighter (especially after Four Winds) so currently reading Get Lucky by Katherine Center which I’m enjoying.

No Stephen King for me. (I’m a big chicken ). I had thought about reading 11/22/63 but the length of it just keeps me from reading it.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 08:18 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anna, I haven't tried Ken Grimwood; will look into him.

Cher, many of King's books are more dramatic than scary.

ETA: Since we have been talking along those lines, one book about time travel that I read years ago (probably high school) and loved at the time was Robert Heinlein's The Door Into Summer. I've thought about re-reading but have never gotten around to it.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 03-03-21, 09:00 AM  
sciencelady

I'm rereading the All Creatures Great and Small books after watching the Masterpiece TV series. The first time I read them was about 40 years ago!
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading