Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-21, 12:34 PM  
bfit

Do you keep an exercise log? Should I keep doing mine?

Do you keep an exercise log no matter what kind of exercise you are (or are not) doing? I've kept a log for years, but now I can't run any more or do high impact activities ever again because of the permanent effects of an injury. It doesn't seem like there's much of importance to write in the log any more, and I haven't written anything down since the New Year started, and I'm thinking of just giving it up. What do you do? And what do you think?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 12:39 PM  
DD546

I try, but I usually fall off the wagon and am inconsistent. I think it's a good idea, and I've started again this year with the intention of following through. It's nice to be able to look back and see how the year looked. Even if you skip a day, I think the accountability of a log or journal really helps. So here's to keeping a workout log in 2021!
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 12:52 PM  
Vantreesta

Personally I think it's a good idea, regardless of what format you use or what types of workouts you do. I keep falling behind on mine but then catch it back up (need to do this again tonight and then try to keep it up). It can help you see where you're lacking or overdoing and it can be a reality check as well as a boost for the sense of accomplishment. Of course, this is coming from a person who tracks practically everything so of course I'm biased.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 12:57 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I’ve kept one consistently since I joined a vf check in back in 2006. This year I’m keep a diary that will include thoughts & activities as well as my workouts, more like a journal.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 01:01 PM  
Gams

I keep one, but I need to be a little more detailed - when I look back I often have no idea what I was talking about.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 02:04 PM  
star117

I use excel and plan rotation in advance for the month. I mostly do this because if I have to think about what to do, I won't do anything. This way, I've got it printed out and just go do the darn thing lol
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 02:07 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

All I do is write the name of the workout I did on a calendar square for the day and increment my count for the year. As I mentioned in the most used instructors thread, I don't tend to ever go back and review the year, but what I do sometimes is look back over the last few weeks to see how balanced by workouts have been or when was the last time I had a rest or easier day, etc. And sometimes I can't remember which step workout I did so I need to check that, too.

I say do what works for you.... if you think any of the reasons people here are suggesting might be of any remote use for you, do it so you won't regret not. But if nothing resonates and it seems useless, don't bother.
Old 01-04-21, 02:15 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I also have a small planner that is used only to write down my workouts. I write down whatever I did that day, whether it was AM or PM, and rate the workout. I also write down if I get to 10K steps. I've been using this method for years and really like it. I think seeing the square filled in gives me a sense of accomplishment. I can also go back and check workouts and when was the last time I took a rest day.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 02:41 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

I do what Bee does. I write what workout/workouts I did, how long they were and I’ll star ones I really liked so I can remind myself in case I forget (that’s really helpful for workouts that have similar titles). I also write down my goal for the year at the start of the year which for me is a total number of workouts. Then every few days on the side of my notebook I make what looks like a fraction with the top number being the amount of workouts I’ve done so far for the month and the bottom number is the total I’ve done for the year. In January those two numbers are the same but as the year goes on I can watch my progress toward my yearly goal.

I don’t know if it is super beneficial or not but I enjoy doing it. Sometimes when I’m not seeing the results I want to I can remind myself that I am putting in the work exercise wise anyway. I don’t chart how many of different types of workouts and instructors I use etc.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 03:04 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I keep an exercise log in a small yearly planner (5.5" x 8.5") similar to this:
https://www.mead.com/p/planners-cale...thly-planners/
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
logging, workout log, workout logs