Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-12, 03:39 PM  
Fidget Queen

TRX Ceiling Mount?

Hey Everyone

So I have a TRX, and have been using the Door Attachment without problems. However, I have been struck with the need (per Katy Bowman's instructions) to hang throughout the day, so I'm wondering what your opinion is of the ceiling mount.

How invasive is it? How sturdy is it? How easy is it to install? Also, how do I shorten the TRX enough to hang?

In my previous house, I worked out in a basement that had a steel beam across the ceiling. It was as ideal as it gets for hanging the TRX at a great height. I miss that ability.

I also have an old doorway pull-up bar and was considering installing that, too. I know when it was installed in my parents' house, it actually seemed like it wore onto the door frame a lot. Taking it out left huge scars. Would the TRX mount be more or less invasive than an average doorway pull up bar? (I'm renting, so I want to minimize damage.) I also want to minimize clutter and cost, otherwise I'd consider Cathe's tower or something along those lines.

Thanks!
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 05:17 PM  
Aunt Famous

The X-Mount is about 6" in diameter and a flat disc with a raised "X" on it. It requires drilling holes for two bolts. Finding the stud is key; there are now several holes on my ceiling that exist from the whole stud-finding mission. (Note to self: buy spackle.) The holes are about the size of a dime. It is very, very sturdy. I have the TRX clipped up not at the highest point, but in one of the slot closer to where it Vs out. (I hope that makes sense.)
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 08:10 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Famous View Post
The X-Mount is about 6" in diameter and a flat disc with a raised "X" on it. It requires drilling holes for two bolts. Finding the stud is key; there are now several holes on my ceiling that exist from the whole stud-finding mission. (Note to self: buy spackle.) The holes are about the size of a dime. It is very, very sturdy. I have the TRX clipped up not at the highest point, but in one of the slot closer to where it Vs out. (I hope that makes sense.)
I agree with all of this . . . except I paid a handyman to hang mine, so no extra holes. : ) I really like it better in the ceiling than the door mount.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 08:15 PM  
Aunt Famous

Husband. Nuf said.
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-12, 10:21 PM  
Fidget Queen

Hahahaha! I've been warned: SO is NOT allowed to install ceiling mount. Got it.

My dad is coming for the Holidays, though, and he's a handyman . That might just be a perfect project.

Thanks for the info! I just wanted to make sure the ceiling wouldn't come crashing down on me or I'd go flying to the ground or something.

SO is actually annoyed that I even suggested such a thing. He doesn't like altering the house any. In all of the places we've lived together now (3) we haven't hung a single picture or put in a single nail anywhere No landlord has ever thanked us, so what should I care? It is our home until we move out, right? We always leave places in better condition than we found them, so I've earned a few (hopefully two) ceiling holes! Can any landlords chime in? Is this something that would drive you nuts?
Old 12-07-12, 11:56 PM  
Buzzer

Hey my friend!! I got your email & I'll respond to it but I wanted to chime in on this... Ironically, I have asked dh for a ceiling mount for Christmas this year!!
We are also landlords, and honestly, as long as you spackle the hole when you leave, no biggie. I have rented a million places (ok, slight exaggeration but you know...) and didn't want to put holes in the first few places, so I'd use existing holes, or not hang things. Then, I discovered spackle and my whole life changed. I spackled holes that I didn't even put in the walls (they were there from before) because I was so impressed!! It was very empowering in a weird, I can now live freely in my space, kind of way.

I would have no problem with you having a ceiling mount, just fill it in when you leave!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-12, 09:19 PM  
Fidget Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Hey my friend!! I got your email & I'll respond to it but I wanted to chime in on this... Ironically, I have asked dh for a ceiling mount for Christmas this year!!
We are also landlords, and honestly, as long as you spackle the hole when you leave, no biggie. I have rented a million places (ok, slight exaggeration but you know...) and didn't want to put holes in the first few places, so I'd use existing holes, or not hang things. Then, I discovered spackle and my whole life changed. I spackled holes that I didn't even put in the walls (they were there from before) because I was so impressed!! It was very empowering in a weird, I can now live freely in my space, kind of way.

I would have no problem with you having a ceiling mount, just fill it in when you leave!!
Big Hugs!!

And thank you for the input. I'll definitely be getting it now, regardless of his hesitation. I just want to respectfully live in my space, too .

Although... this house is like living in an ice rink. Everything is glossed! The floor, the stairs and even the ladder to the loft. This morning I slipped down the ladder (cuz I dared to wear socks, you know) and hurt my knee pretty badly. Seriously? I respect this house less with every injury I get. I might make an extra hole or two on purpose . I might be sandblasting the place, so a hole in the ceiling might be the least noticeable mark of my existence here!
Old 12-09-12, 06:56 AM  
buffmama

Fidget -
Any links to Katy talking about suspending? I'm amazed by how knowledgeable she is and seem to have missed it. (But I didn't miss talk of the squatty potty...) TIA.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 11:17 PM  
Fidget Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Fidget -
Any links to Katy talking about suspending? I'm amazed by how knowledgeable she is and seem to have missed it. (But I didn't miss talk of the squatty potty...) TIA.
I found her opinion sprinkled into her other articles here and there, but this is the best I've found:

http://www.alignedandwell.com/katysa...he-upper-body/

I know I found others that had more to say, but they aren't in posts specifically about it. If I ever find them I'll add them for you. Sorry about that .

I also just started seeing a super-duper awesome chiropractor a couple of weeks ago (my third one in the last 6 months) and he independently mentioned that holding ourselves up, pulling ourselves up and moving ourselves with our upper body sometimes is something we humans had to do and have completely (most of us) lost the ability to do. He mentioned this in reference to the fact that my entire upper body is locked up into one big mass and [carefully] suspending and learning how to use my upper body would eventually work through some of that. I'm glad they agree!
Old 12-14-12, 08:40 PM  
buffmama

Thanks for the link Fidget. Makes me want to go swing on my pull up bar!
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trx