Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-10, 04:45 PM  
pumptmuscle

Geez, the prices just keep getting lower and lower.

It looks really cool and the price is insane. You get a free dvd with it, too. My only concern is how to anchor it to a door. I didn't see anything about it on Facebook either.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 05:09 PM  
pfhanna

I would probably purchase this but I am also wondering if you can anchor it to a door?? Does anyone know if you can??
Old 11-29-10, 06:17 PM  
baba

this is what they wrote back to me when i asked on facebook:

Yes you can attach to the door or to the bar. There are 4 handles and each one is padded.
Since there are 4 handles, each strap can be used as an individual device. Enabling two people to do exercise with single anchor point.
baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 01:48 PM  
pfhanna

Can you use this to do cardio?? I am sorry for asking all these question but I know nothing about them?? Thank you to all, Pam.
Old 11-30-10, 11:40 PM  
pumptmuscle

Good news, I'll be getting in the USA Protege shortly. It was only $47.98 shipped. When I wrote BWC to ask if I could come and pick one up to save on shipping costs (they're about 40 miles from me), they said I wouldn't be able to as they didn't have a retail facility. They took off $5 from the shipping for me so my final cost was less than $48.

A big thank you goes to LindaL for her earlier post. I'd heard of the regular USA apparatus and a year or so ago, a single unit was on clearance for $30. The original lacked the ability to be hung from a door and that sale price was for just one unit. They still offer them as factory seconds on the website for that price (plus $12.99 shipping). You can see it here:

http://www.bwculture.net/Universal_S...%20seconds.htm

As I mentioned above, I don't have any interest in using the ladders, just the straps/suspension aspect, so I had to jump on the Protege for the price. You get 2 straps, with inclusive door anchors as baba mentions, and the dvd. I'll gladly be posting a review of it when I get it.

No offense whatsoever to the TRX lovers, of which I am (used to be?) one, but the reality is that those interested in suspension training have more options than a year ago when I got my TRX. Back then, there were basically 2 options: The TRX and the Lifeline Jungle Gym 1 or 2. My TRX was a Christmas present (as is the Protege) so I felt the TRX was better than the Jungle Gym based on the price (although there were VFers who said their Jungle Gyms worked very well). The TRX may be better but imo, the TRX is clearly overpriced and economic law mandates that with competition comes more options and usually lower prices. A great example of that is a guy on Youtube who posted a video on how to make your own suspension trainer...for around $20 to maybe $30 total. The bottom line is that the TRX, or any conventional-type suspension trainer, is little more than straps, stitching and handles. It just doesn't cost anywhere near almost $200 to make.

I'll try out the Protege when I get it and write back. Maybe the low price will help others experience how effective and fun suspension training can be.

** 50 time marathoner
Old 11-30-10, 11:42 PM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfhanna View Post
Can you use this to do cardio?? I am sorry for asking all these question but I know nothing about them?? Thank you to all, Pam.
You can do cardio intervals but not really a full cardio routine. They're really best for strength, stretching and plyo type of moves. I guess you could theoretically do only cardio with them, like maybe hiit but not really long sustained cardio.

** 50 time marathoner
Old 12-01-10, 12:47 PM  
enduranceron

I picked up the Jungle Gym XT as a gift for myself. Just arrived yesterday so haven't had time for anything other than opening the box and making sure everything was there. Plan to preview the DVD sometime today and use it this weekend. Maybe try the TRX Ropes & Straps DVD I got as well.

BTW, Bob - signed up for my first 100 miler (VT - July) and I see a new 50k up here in the Hartford area if you want to come up sometime. I plano n running the 50k at Bear Mtn in May too (see you there?).

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." - Thomas Carlyle

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Ghandi
enduranceron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 02:41 PM  
baba

I think I might get both the Protege and the USA. The Protege because it is such a great price and I am hoping my hubby might like it. The USA because I can see myself using it in between taking care of my kids - an exercise here and there and no worrying about adjustments. Plus I think as the kids get older they would like it too
baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 05:23 AM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dironstarr View Post
I picked up the Jungle Gym XT as a gift for myself. Just arrived yesterday so haven't had time for anything other than opening the box and making sure everything was there. Plan to preview the DVD sometime today and use it this weekend. Maybe try the TRX Ropes & Straps DVD I got as well.

BTW, Bob - signed up for my first 100 miler (VT - July) and I see a new 50k up here in the Hartford area if you want to come up sometime. I plano n running the 50k at Bear Mtn in May too (see you there?).
Hi Ron, feel free to post a review of the XT when you've tried it out. Good luck with the races, too. 100 miles is incredible!

** 50 time marathoner
Old 12-08-10, 11:18 AM  
momofcha

I am sooo interested in this, but living in an apt I just don't see how it can work??? Does it have to go over a bar? or could I put it in the outside door to my apt and anchor it that way????

I just ordered Lauren's DVD and would love to be able to use this as well....

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jungle gym xt, lifeline, suspension trainer, trx, trx suspension trainer