Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-21, 04:34 PM  
Vantreesta

This week I have done the first three workouts of Lauren Brooks' Shut Up and Train. I like that they're quick in and out, no nonsense. I haven't been able to go all out bc I'm still nursing high hamstring tendinopathy so I've kept the bells lighter, but once I can do them without modifications I know they will be more fun. I'm training for a virtual triathlon but my friend started BeSLAM Remastered and asked me to do kettlebells along with her for accountability. I'm not doing the program but I have lots of kb workouts I haven't tried yet. I'm sticking with SUAT for the first month since they're short.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 05:51 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
This week I have done the first three workouts of Lauren Brooks' Shut Up and Train. I like that they're quick in and out, no nonsense. I haven't been able to go all out bc I'm still nursing high hamstring tendinopathy so I've kept the bells lighter, but once I can do them without modifications I know they will be more fun. I'm training for a virtual triathlon but my friend started BeSLAM Remastered and asked me to do kettlebells along with her for accountability. I'm not doing the program but I have lots of kb workouts I haven't tried yet. I'm sticking with SUAT for the first month since they're short.
Thanks for confirming I need this DVD

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 06:08 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Thanks for confirming I need this DVD
Happy to enable!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 03-04-21, 06:52 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
This sounds great! Thanks for the description. After I posted the question I checked my collection bc, as you pointed out, Gaiam loves to repackage! I think I may have it but will need to actually put it in the player to be sure. Thanks again!
You're welcome, Vannie. I also found it on Youtube.
Garden AKA Chair Stretches to Get Your Body Ready for Meditation | Yoga | Gaiam

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 07:56 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
Awesome, thanks!

Old 03-28-21, 10:17 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I have done a few of the Bone Smart Pilates workouts. I did the original one last week perhaps for the second time but I have been having back issues so did it again because Pilates usually helps. Then I remembered how I didn't like it so I listed it on STW and it will be on its way to sunny Hawaii as soon as I get the SASE.
ETA: I checked this thread and I did this workout in January 2020, I thought it was too easy then.

Today I did a bunch of "newish" workouts:

1) Bone Smart Pilates Aging Strong Volume 2 Expresso workout. It was better than the original workout I mentioned above although not thrilling. I decided to keep it for now.

2) I also did Lee Holden's QiGong for lower back pain (parts of it) which is one I may have done once ages ago. There are a few moves that felt really good so I wrote them down in a log book and it is on my the trade pile.

3) 10 minute Solution Pilates on the Ball. I had done one of the workouts on this disc as part of this check-in more than a year ago then set it aside. I did or tried to do the other sections today and decided it is not worthy of keeping. The use of the ball is not necessary or appropriate for where I am in my Pilates practice right now so I listed it on STW.
ETA: I checked upthread and I did the Total Body Section of this in October 2019

I posted a trade list with some of the many DVDs I never use. I should list more but I am not quite ready to admit that I will probably never use them.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 06:04 AM  
fanofladyvols

So I have been progressing slowly through two sets: Weider X-Factor ST and Beach Pilates.

X-Factor ST: I can't imagine that I could have done this set as designed. I did progress through these workouts sequentially. The workouts never reached one but are good workouts. The last few definitely got my HR up to the equivalent of running on my elliptical. I used the water breaks to do shoulder and hip mobility. For now, I will keep.
My husband has taken to appearing whenever I workout now and lifting weights.

As I was doing #8, here are my husband's random comments as he glanced over while taking a break lifting behind me:
" look at that guy going through the motions back there...y'all are working hard, huh?"
" Did you eat enough for this?"
"Are you gonna make it?"
"I think that girl back there is gonna make it after all?" (I do wonder if he meant ME though )
"That's a hard workout."

Beach pilates: For me, this set is gold. Might have to do with the intersection of my hormonal timeline and this current world situation. Anyway, these are repackaged Caribbean pilates workouts. Four DVDs with two 20ish workouts each. ( DVD titles: Pilates, Pilates plus, Core Pilates, Pilates based abs, buns, thighs workout)

Super easy to add on or do alone on an active recovery. They vary in difficulty within the workouts but none are difficult or very intense. Hardest workouts in the set are the second ones on the Plus and Core dvds. I used a cushion for my hips when side lying and my knee pads when kneeling. The most interesting one was the Chi ball workout and most relaxing was the Dance stretch.

Some may be annoyed by Jen Tilley and Shelly McDonald who often giggle, miscue or cue late when to breathe and odd breaks (for what must have been commercial breaks). You have the occasional onlooker wading in the background.

I love their enjoyment of movement and each other, the beach or hotel pool background. My husband calls these my hippie workouts. The set is a three for me.

ETA: here's a link that Barb S. has for the chi ball workout if anyone is interested. https://dai.ly/x63zqnx

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.

Last edited by fanofladyvols; 03-29-21 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Added link
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 01:02 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Qi Gong for Healthy Digestion - Lee Holden.
Tai Chi for Fitness - Scott Cole

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-21, 11:01 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Today I did Bone Smart Pilates Aging Strong volume 2 Cafe Ole workout.
Teresa talks like a kindergarten teacher at times and it drives me nuts. There are some twisting moves in this that I cannot do right now but other exercises that I quite like. I think this is a keeper for now.
Old 04-04-21, 04:36 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Today I did the lower body segment of Margaret Richard's Sculpture. Another VF member gave it to me years ago and I never did it. I really liked it. I wasn't up for a killer workout with tons of reps and this one fit the bill. I felt like my muscles were working but it wasn't a killer. I used ankle weights for the inner and outer thigh work even though Margaret doesn't use any weights for any of this workout.
I am going to try to do body upper body at some point this week. I tried last week but the exercises were done standing and my back has been bothering me especially when standing in place for longer periods. So I will start off seated.

Tags
shrinkwrap, tsha jacobson, virgin workouts, virgins