Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-21, 09:00 AM  
buffmama

Welcome slockhart. I'm towards the end of EPIC and the same age as you so it can be done! Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

I did EPIC Day 44 Pure Grit Full Body Advanced Complexes today. I used 15 lbs throughout and was dripping sweat! With my weaker arm the press turned into a push press but otherwise it was as is. I'm proud to say I held onto those DB throughout and finished strong. Really like complexes for both it's cardio and strength components.
Old 02-21-21, 12:13 PM  
ChelePA

If you want intense, try Caroline Girvan's new Drop HIIT Cardio Full Body Workout--45 minutes. It was just released today and it kicked my butt! Definitely the hardest one I have tried so far. The first half of the workout is HIIT...30 seconds on with 15 seconds of rest. She does each exercise twice alternating sides. I should have know it was going to be tough when she started off with one legged burpees! I had to modify a few of the moves. She jumps from her knees into a squat...not happening. I had to rock back some then jump. Also rolling out into a one legged push-up...and the speed she can do that move...wow! I also took your advice and did some of the push-up segments slightly elevated to keep the speed and proper form. This also helped when some of the push-up variations could only be done on the floor. I still had the strength and stamina to finish those. The next section she calls steady state cardio. Definitely somewhat easier for Caroline but still kept my heart rate up nicely. No breaks in between and she varies the time for each move. Let me know if you try it and your thoughts. Happy Sunday!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 12:21 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
If you want intense, try Caroline Girvan's new Drop HIIT Cardio Full Body Workout--45 minutes. It was just released today and it kicked my butt! Definitely the hardest one I have tried so far. The first half of the workout is HIIT...30 seconds on with 15 seconds of rest. She does each exercise twice alternating sides. I should have know it was going to be tough when she started off with one legged burpees! I had to modify a few of the moves. She jumps from her knees into a squat...not happening. I had to rock back some then jump. Also rolling out into a one legged push-up...and the speed she can do that move...wow! I also took your advice and did some of the push-up segments slightly elevated to keep the speed and proper form. This also helped when some of the push-up variations could only be done on the floor. I still had the strength and stamina to finish those. The next section she calls steady state cardio. Definitely somewhat easier for Caroline but still kept my heart rate up nicely. No breaks in between and she varies the time for each move. Let me know if you try it and your thoughts. Happy Sunday!
LOL, I checked it out this morning when I got up and said, "nope. Not for me." I'm impressed that you got it done! I'm not worthy!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 12:23 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slockhart View Post
Hi all! I'm new here, just started Epic 1 this week. I used to be a fitness instructor and was in great shape, but since "retiring" from that, I've lacked motivation, and I'm turning 52 on Monday, so that has been messing with my mind a little and thinking I'm too old for this stuff (maybe I should be a little nicer to myself kind of thinking). But if you don't use it, you lose it! Something has clicked and I decided to give this Caroline a try! She looks amazing! But wow, day 1 and 2 were hard, and yesterday was bodyweight abs and core, which I was not a fan of. Needless to say, I feel every muscle today and that is a great feeling. I'm a little scared for the 1 hour HIIT tomorrow

Thanks for the invite to the group!
Stacey
Welcome, Stacey! Happy early birthday to you! I'm 53 and love Caroline's strength work, but skip her core work and most of her cardio.

Erica
Old 02-21-21, 09:15 PM  
bex

Welcome Stacey! Congratulations on starting EPIC. I'm also around the same age (54) and regaining fitness after 2 years off, struggling with each step - and yet finding it all really rewarding.

Yesterday I did Day 27, Arms & Abs, and I inserted more pauses and re-sets in this one than any I can remember. I thought I was getting better at the ab work but Caroline's clearly decided to kick it up a notch.

Buffmama and ChelePA, sounds like you both killed it with your workouts. I agree with Erica, I looked at that Drop HIIT Cardio workout and thought, "Maybe someday, but not now".

{waves} to everyone! It's Springtime here in Shanghai, I rode my bike to work today.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 12:11 PM  
kat999

Good afternoon, all! I'm still getting through the Beginner series slowly. Did #4 today, which is the first one where she uses weights. 30 minutes, pretty easy moves, and I really enjoyed myself. I did a mini rotation of the FIRM Zip Trainer system last week, and it is all weighted HIIT, so honestly this slow and heavy short workout with no cardio was a breath of fresh air.
Old 02-23-21, 10:40 AM  
buffmama

EPIC Day 45 Relentless EMOM HIIT - and it was! Oh my. Right off the bat I reduced reps to give myself about 15 sec of rest. I think for legs it was 8 reps, arms I did about 6 burpees, modified the spider push ups, and did about 12 shoulder taps. For the core I did about 10 reps each although by that point I kept losing count. Any faster and I'm pretty sure form would have gone out the window. Hmmm, trying not to listen to reviews of hard workouts - ignorance really is bliss.

I'm thinking Anna's workouts would be a nice break before EPIC 2 - especially some shorter ones! And since she posts weekly calendars I can 1-2 weeks if I want.
Old 02-23-21, 08:30 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
EPIC Day 45 Relentless EMOM HIIT - and it was! Oh my. Right off the bat I reduced reps to give myself about 15 sec of rest. I think for legs it was 8 reps, arms I did about 6 burpees, modified the spider push ups, and did about 12 shoulder taps. For the core I did about 10 reps each although by that point I kept losing count. Any faster and I'm pretty sure form would have gone out the window. Hmmm, trying not to listen to reviews of hard workouts - ignorance really is bliss.

I'm always so impressed by anyone who does Caroline's HIIT workouts! Great job!

I did the Tempo lower body workout today on the Epic 2 schedule and liked it. I don't know why, but my lower back was really fatiguing even though it was all squats and lunges. If I do this one again I'll lighten the weights and concentrate on form. I really regret not taking notes on these workouts as I did them. My plan is to eventually start all over again and keep a workout log.

Erica
Old 02-24-21, 09:39 AM  
buffmama

Thanks Erica H for the words of support. Some of the HIITs weren't that bad. The one using DB comes to mind (looks like there were 2).

Today was EPIC Day 41 Hamstrings and Glutes. I used 35 lbs in the beginning, dropped to 30 lbs for SL work. I left out the pulses and holds I feel those in my back and I was tired and the alternative was to lower my weights. Oh and I kept my feet much closer to me for the hamstring raises. And I'm sore.
Old 02-25-21, 08:44 AM  
buffmama

EPIC Day 42 Shoulders and Core. Loved this workout. Not sure I would have a few weeks ago. Ha. I used 15-6.5 lbs but erred on the side of heavy (for me). 6.5lbs was only for side lying delts, 15lbs for single DB front raises and the finisher. I started the workout with 12lbs for presses and mostly used my 10lbs.

Tags
caroline girvan, growing annanas, growingannanas, heather robertson, mrandmrsmuscle