Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-18, 04:55 PM  
Scorpio6

Smile

I am 5'3" tall, give or take around 200 lbs bc of Hashimoto's low thyroid for many years, and have been told conflicting info regarding my frame. Some say it's medium, some say it's large, altho I personally think I look more like a medium rather than any resemblance to the big boned ppl I know.

Exercise:
I carry things around the house that are heavy for me.
I alternate betw lower body exercises while holding dumbbells or using ankle wts instead, whether it's standing or mat work. Also do ballet barre exercises, bodyweight only. Low-grade plyometrics, like hopping a little every day. A littl bit of tap dancing, my orthop that replaced my left hip (due to a fall where inflammation ate the cartilage, there was no bone break) told me the hopping in tap dancing is ok. You get a lot of vibration from the taps on the shoes. I can only tolerate it for a short time, but you can also soft shoe, which is tap dancing w/out the tap shoes.
I am not consistent w/ my exercise and can be very sporadic due to illnesss w/ either me or hubby, or major stress from some unexpected source that takes up all our time and energy, sometimes for as long as 2-3 months before it settles down.

Nutrition:
I don't drink sodas, even diet ones, don't smoke, don't eat sugar except a very small amt on rare occasions, and alcohol intake is only about 3 glasses of wine with a meal per year. Per year.
I eat a lot of protein, only moderate slow carb. 2 eggs for breakfast and my cholesterol is less than 200, the good cholesterols are high, and my triglycerids are only 79 (they aren't supposed to be over 150, and triglyceride reading is supposed to be a more accurate indicator of potential HD than cholesterol). 2-5 oz meat at lunch, 2 oz meat at supper.
Can't drink milk, sinuses have a cat fit if I indulge in Greek yogurt, milk on cereal, cottage cheese, etc. I love dairy, sinuses hate it, so I can't get calcium there.
Eat salmon several times a week, salads about 3-4 times a week, one of those times it's usually a spinach salad.
Eat cruciferous vegetables cooked (broccoli/cauliflower) even though they are not good for thyroid. (Goitrogens.)

I do take nutritional supplements but since it is against the rules of this forum to discuss that, I invite any of you who wish specific info on what I am doing in that area, to PM me and include your personal email address. I will then respond to you via my personal email.

Thanks for the positive responses, it surprised me to see so many in such a short period of time, you ladies are terrific!
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-18, 05:08 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Wow, with no bone density drugs - I bow before you!

I lost a lot of density because of medications. In the last couple of years I've been taken off a couple of bone depleting meds and switched to supposedly safe ones. I recently learned that women who need to take thyroid meds are at risk if your hormone levels go too high.

PS - thank you for noting that dairy bothers you and you had those great results by getting calcium from veggies - that's a big relief to me! You've given me hope, thank you.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-18, 06:51 PM  
Coastal Girl

This is fantastic, congratulations and thanks for posting!
Coastal Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-18, 07:59 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Thanks for sharing that, Scorpio6!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-18, 12:30 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Congrats!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-18, 12:36 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Yes, congratulations on your results and thanks for sharing your info!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-18, 12:39 AM  
nevertoolate

Thanks for sharing your story, Scorpio6.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-18, 07:55 AM  
mandie123

Sent you a pm
Old 12-01-18, 11:08 AM  
AnMrsDe

Very impressive and great job! Glad to hear it can be attainable without meds!!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-18, 11:38 AM  
Scorpio6

Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:
I do NOT get my calcium from vegetables! I take calcium and magnesium pills every day of my life.

I just wanted to clarify that, bc one of our forum members misinterpreted my very general remarks about food, and it concerned and startled me. I would not want anyone to come to grief thinking they were following my good example on the basis of a misinterpretation. So I wanted to get more precise language out there for readers of this thread.

Thank you so much to all of you participating, and for your interest. I am currently in the process of responding to those of you who PM'd me and will continue to do so until all information requests have been fulfilled.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bone density, dexa, osteopenia, osteoporosis