Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-18, 09:19 AM  
bubbles76

Core Fusion / Kettlebells Rotation - Please Help!

Hi all! Well, the title says it all. I would like to create a rotation with Core Fusion and Kettlebells. I think instead of trying to get it all in one week that I would separate the weeks – one week of Kettlebells, one week of Core Fusion. Since I’m new to both, I was thinking of starting with Sara Lurie’s The Kettlebell Way dvds. I figure just use one dvd from the set a week, maybe 3 days a week, until I can progress, and alternate with cardio or pilates during the week.

But I have no idea how to rotate the Core Fusion dvds! I have them all. Can someone assist? I don't want to jump in with the Core Fusion 30 Day Rotation, as the workouts are short (30 minutes) and repeat footage. Plus, I'm pretty new to it. However, if you think that's a good place to start, let me know.

Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-18, 07:52 PM  
buffmama

I would alternate KB and Core Fusion day by day. That gives you recovery time from each since you're new to them. Not sure it matters how you rotate the Core Fusions - after 1-2 weeks you will get the whole body in. The 30 day rotation might be a nice way to go. I like the yoga in Core Fusion a lot (did at the live class too) that might work out to be a nice stretch.
Old 09-27-18, 10:31 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

The Skogg workouts are also a good way to progress with kettlebells. Lurie is fine too and they each have good instruction and form pointers. Paul Katami has a beginner workout too but it is mainly drill exercises/circuits so you're probably best with Lurie to start. Sounds like a nice rotation and one I might "borrow" from you with the Core Fusions. A good balance of strength and stretch.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-18, 06:00 AM  
bubbles76

Thanks ladies! Pam alas, I don't have the Skogg workouts. I keep going back and forth on whether I should acquire them.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 09-28-18, 10:02 AM  
nevertoolate

Highly recommend Skogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Thanks ladies! Pam alas, I don't have the Skogg workouts. I keep going back and forth on whether I should acquire them.
I highly recommend the Skogg system. It was my kettlebell foundation and remains a solid workout system. I notice that it's going for about $40 on Amazon, which is half the price I paid for it. I still have Skogg, but got rid of my Sara Lurie DVDs, if that tells you anything.

Yours in fitness and health.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-18, 10:02 AM  
aliskina

Definitely alternate KB with core Fusion on daily rather then weekly basis. You will be sore from KB at least in the beginning and something different will work great the next day. I personally like older Core Fusion's DVD - Pilates Plus and Body Sculpt and Skogg is my favorite KB system regardless of your fitness level.
aliskina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-18, 04:43 PM  
bubbles76

Wow, 3 recommendations for Skogg . You all are making me reconsider. Is there anything comparable? I hesitated because it seemed that from reviews that the workouts were basically the same.

I was thinking my general rotation would be like this:

Week 1

Monday:KB
Tuesday: Cardio
Wednesday: KB
Thursday: Cardio
Friday: KB
Saturday: Cardio
Sunday: Rest

Week 2

Monday:Core Fusion
Wednesday: Core Fusion
Friday: Core Fusion

Or were you all thinking KB and Core Fusion the same day? I think that would be overkill, no? Aliskina I was thinking starting with the older ones, like Pilates Plus and Body Sculpt as they are the most total body, from what I've read. But still, not sure.
Old 09-28-18, 06:29 PM  
nevertoolate

Quote:
Wow, 3 recommendations for Skogg . You all are making me reconsider. Is there anything comparable? I hesitated because it seemed that from reviews that the workouts were basically the same.

I was thinking my general rotation would be like this:

Week 1

Monday:KB
Wednesday: KB
Friday: KB

Week 2

Monday:Core Fusion
Wednesday: Core Fusion
Friday: Core Fusion

Or were you all thinking KB and Core Fusion the same day? I think that would be overkill, no? Aliskina I was thinking starting with the older ones, like Pilates Plus and Body Sculpt as they are the most total body, from what I've read. But still, not sure.
Skogg teaches 6 basic kettlebell exercises that are the foundation of most kettlebell workouts and he teaches them WELL. The differences in the workouts are the way he puts them together and builds the intensity. The program starts out doing 3 workouts per week for 2 weeks and moves to 4 workouts per week for a total of 12 weeks. You could do some Core Fusion workouts on the days in between, but do take a rest day. You'll need it.

I think using kettlebells is very efficient and effective and works the posterior chain like nothing else. They also give you a great cardio workout at the same time you're building strength. The Skogg system might seem simple, but it wasn't repetitive or boring to me at all. It was very challenging and gave a lot of room to grow. A number of people on this forum recommended it as the best kettlebell program to start with and I'm glad I followed their advice.

I followed Skogg with RKS (Reinhardt Kettlebell System), which had more variety and a spectacular setting and was a lot of fun. I went back and forth at the time on which to start with, but I'm glad I started with Skogg. I did better with RKS as a result. RKS is out of print, but you may be able to find it somewhere. I've held onto both Skogg and RKS.

BTW, you can get a killer strength, cardio, HIIT workout just by doing the kettlebell swing and its many progressions. Just see Tracy Reifkind. You will sweat for sure. https://swinglean.com/the-swing/

I might do a Skogg/Core Fusion combo myself. It sounds like it would make a good rotation.

Ann

ETA: It looks like you can stream RKS for $8.99/mo: https://rksworkout.com/
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-18, 06:36 PM  
bayportsmom

When I set up my new Roku TV, I noticed a skogg channel. It looks like you can buy the system to access via roku for about $40 if I remember correctly. Every time I check in here, I change my mind about a rotation! Skogg and core fusion sound great together!
Old 09-29-18, 04:12 AM  
starbelly

Quote:
I have blended barre and KB and agree with the earlier post about mixing in the week instead of alternating weeks. You could do KB/Cardio/Core Fusion/Cardio/KB and then the next week Core Fusion/Cardio/KB/Cardio/Core Fusion/Cardio. You would then work the muscles in different ways and intensities.

Have you considered Lauren Brooks? She has metabolic style KB workouts (UBS&C) as well as more strength-focused (KB Body). Art of Strength also has some good workouts (Providence, Empire State) that give you room to grow.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
core fusion, core fusion rotation, kb barre rotation, kb core fusion rotation