Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-11, 09:49 AM  
momofcha

Rip60 In an apartment?

Is this humanly possible? No high ceilings, can't drill a hole anywhere. I work out in the living room and I have a door that swings in to the outside of the apt. That would be my only option. It's also kind of in a corner. I have limited mobility, but I can move the couch.

Is this even worth it?

tia

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 11:20 AM  
adrien_73

I don't have Rip 60, but had to return a TRX because the doors in my condo are WWWWAY too cheap to endure that kind of weight! I was so disappointed!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-11, 11:36 AM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
Is this humanly possible? No high ceilings, can't drill a hole anywhere. I work out in the living room and I have a door that swings in to the outside of the apt. That would be my only option. It's also kind of in a corner. I have limited mobility, but I can move the couch.

Is this even worth it? tia
I have a TRX and also brought the optional door anchor....but I never use it because I brought a pull-up station and now I anchor my TRX on my pull-up station and it works perfectly, perhaps you could do the same (if you have a pull-up station) it allows me a full range of motion with no concerns for destroying my doors or my safety. During the warmer months I use it outside using trees, fences, etc for anchoring
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 11:33 AM  
momofcha

I just thought of something. I have an old, big media cabinet. I hope to have this obsolete when I eventually get a flat screen tv - so I have no problems drilling holes in it to mount the trainer. I will be right up on the tv and can stretch it back pretty far as the room is pretty open. Is this a viable solution to making this work? The cabinet is probably a touch over 6'2"? I'm 5'10" though....

any thoughts? tia

Old 05-16-11, 12:17 PM  
Cassy

Sue it's interesting that you are looking into this program because I thought of suggesting this one to you for a low impact cardio. But when I researched a lot of people talked about putting a hole in their ceiling and anchoring it there and thought that probably wouldn't work for most people. So I'm interested to hear how people are making it work.

bee1forfitness - are you talking about the cathe pull up station or an anchored one?
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 12:29 PM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee1forfitness View Post
I have a TRX and also brought the optional door anchor....but I never use it because I brought a pull-up station and now I anchor my TRX on my pull-up station and it works perfectly, perhaps you could do the same (if you have a pull-up station) it allows me a full range of motion with no concerns for destroying my doors or my safety. During the warmer months I use it outside using trees, fences, etc for anchoring
Hmmm... is the pullup station anything like a door gym? Maybe that would work! I have one of those...
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 01:55 PM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73 View Post
Hmmm... is the pullup station anything like a door gym? Maybe that would work! I have one of those...
No... it's a pull/chin-bar mounted in the door way (see picture below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy View Post
bee1forfitness - are you talking about the cathe pull up station or an anchored one?
No not the Cathe Pull up station, here's a picture of the Pull up station I brought last Christmas to learn how to do chin/pull-up (it's assisted) so it now work for pulls-up and double for anchoring my TRX when I need to use it inside but probably any pull-up bar should work, it needs to be able to support your body weight Here's the link
Click image for larger version

Name:	GF-ACS-2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	3000
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 03:09 PM  
momofcha

bee - ah, I do have one of those, but unfortunately no door in the apt to anchor it to except one of the bedrooms - which is no where near the TV and connect to a very narrow hallway...

I guess I need to table this thought for now... bummer.

Old 05-16-11, 03:44 PM  
Cassy

Bummer Sue, I do think it looks like a nice workout to keep up variety. Too bad it's not more user friendly for us.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 05:48 PM  
RASCalif

Why can't you drill a hole anywhere on the ceiling? By code there has to be studs at least every 16", so there would surely be someplace to drill. See my instructions here: http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...light=rip%3A60

One thing I would add is to hang the straps from midway down the black strap (where there is heavy stitching) rather than the end, since like you I don't have a high ceiling.

And if you're worried about drilling a hole in an apartment, hey, that's why they invented spackle!

Tags
apartment, door anchor, rip:60, suspension trainer