Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-04, 12:37 PM  
Jammin

I've had the Yamuna's Total Body Workout for a while now. I just did it for the first time. It starts with hams, then the back and back of the neck. Then, she goes to the abs, the chest/arms and lastly, the front of the neck.

The hamstring part kinda hurt, just as if I were stretching to the point of pain. I'm so tight there. The back/neck felt good, but it'll take practice to feel like I'm doing it correctly. The ab part was really uncomfortable. She recommends the softer/beginner yellow ball for this and thank goodness that's the one I have. I don't think I would have lasted. I'm short in the torso, so any stretching in the abs has to be a good thing! Also, the chest/arm part was uncomfortable, mostly due to not doing the movements properly??? I think that was it. I'll need practice.

I feel silly giving my opinion of this 'workout', since it's so foriegn to me. I do feel loosey goosey right now. I'll just wait and see if I can feel the effects later on today and/or tomorrow. It lasts 57 min, so it's not an add-on. However, thinking about it, this video is chock full of instruction. I believe it's simply that and, once you learn the routine, you can do it in half the time...or less probably. A chaptered DVD would really come in handy.

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up." Babe Ruth
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 12:12 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Who Knew?

I have an interest in visiting a practioner so I searched on the Yamuna website and lo and behold, a guy named Andy is located in my town AND he's helping Yamuna develop the dvds!!! I gotta go visit this guy! Lexy
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 12:43 PM  
new2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrant
I have an interest in visiting a practioner so I searched on the Yamuna website and lo and behold, a guy named Andy is located in my town AND he's helping Yamuna develop the dvds!!! I gotta go visit this guy! Lexy
I am entirely jealous!! I looked for one in California and nothing came up...

ETA: Oooops, actually, I had looked for classes, not practioners...there are tons in California!

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-04, 12:41 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

I had another Yamuna session this morning. We started again with the foot wakers, but this time using them under our feet while sitting in a chair. This will be something great to do while at the computer. We then went to the wall and used the foot wakers some more especially on the outer parts of the bottom of our feet. My teacher mentioned that the foot wakers are especially good for plantar fascitis. I can see how that could be, the bumps all over them really wake up your feet.

Next, we worked our hamstrings one leg at a time while sitting. I started with the red ball, but switched to the yellow ball as the red ball was too intense today. We then used the yellow ball for our back at the wall. We did one side at a time starting at the right of the sacrum and moving up the back along the side of the spine. After doing one side there is such a noticeable difference between the sides it's amazing.

We also worked the back with the yellow ball lying down and starting at the sacrum rolling up the spine in the center. We would go very slowly, about one vertebrae at a time breathing and sinking the spine into the ball. We did this all the way up to the neck and base of skull.

We worked the chest, sternum and collar bone lying on our stomachs with the green ball. This was really intense, but really opened the pectoral muscles and fronts of the shoulders. I could also feel it in the back of my thoracic spine.

We finished with the green ball under the pubic bone and rolled it out to the sides of the pelvis and inside the hip bone on each side. This was also intense, but good.

I took home a yellow ball, green ball, red ball, foot wakers, and foot savers with video. I'm going to order the back cd so I have something to follow along. I'm almost finished reading The Ultimate Body Rolling Workout and have ordered Body Rolling An Experiential Approach to Complete Muscle Release . The Ultimate Body Rolling book shows clearly all the different routines for ball rolling. I don't love the comments in the book about how this method will get rid of your wrinkles and cellulite since I really don't believe that, but it does contain lots of great information in addition to that. The Body Rolling An Experiential Approach is more technical with a lot in it about anatomy.

One other thing, I asked my teacher about the Fitball Small Release Therapy. She had checked it out. She bought the manual and the white ball. I saw the white ball and while it looked good with the texture it had, it was much softer and didn't compare IMO to the Yamuna balls. About the manual, she felt the Yamuna book had more info for a lot less $.

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-04, 12:48 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

I'm starting to jones for this. Unfortunately, unlike the lovely Danielle who is good about reading books and figuring things out - I just want the Cliff notes?

What do I have to buy, in the way of a starter kit? What balls, what videos, what's my best deal?

confident the VF enablers will do my research for me, I remain...

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-04, 01:04 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Jane

I'm still looking too, but these are my thoughts so far: www.allaboutmassagers.com seems to have a nice starter kit with ball/back vid/pump and I need to compare it to the Yamuna kit. Supposedly these are coming out on dvd soon. The question is, how soon?

Right now I'm thinking of getting the back kit and ordering the book. But then I'm thinking of ordering the Total Body tape. Bottom line: I dunno.

Lexy
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-04, 01:21 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle*
One other thing, I asked my teacher about the Fitball Small Release Therapy. She had checked it out. She bought the manual and the white ball. I saw the white ball and while it looked good with the texture it had, it was much softer and didn't compare IMO to the Yamuna balls. About the manual, she felt the
Thanks for the update Danielle! I am definately going to get the Yamuna book - as I said I've been looking for it for quite a while. And while I do like my Fitball white ball, I would like to try the Yamuna ones out as well. I think they will all be good for different reasons

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-04, 01:25 PM  
Barb
VF Supporter

When I called Yamuna's 800 #, the man who answered said that all except the Basic Back routine would be available in dvd soon. My recommendation for Jane is: Buy the Yamuna back kit (if you still have a vcr) because once you start, you'll want to go to Yamuna's NYC studio for a class since you get to NYC fairly often. Then you can buy the rest if you like them in dvd. In Yamuna's video, she says that if you just have 20 minutes, her recommendation is to do the back routine. So, you got it from the horse's mouth: Yamuna recommends the back video.

I did buy and read (well most of it anyway) the book. But, it's just easier to follow a video for me. So I guess if there was a superfluous purchase for me, it was the book. Nice to have, but not necessary.

I do really like the Fitball kit. I inflate the balls so that they're hard and I really like the texture. I actually don't see the redundancy in buying both sets. I'm happy that I did. Plus if we didn't have several balls to choose from my husband, his sister (who is visiting) and I would be fighting over the one ball. Yes, it's that great!

ETA: the man who answered Yamuna's 800# said that there were no plans to put the back vhs onto dvd. I just wanted to make that clear. He said that all of the others were going to be in dvd within a few weeks. (but we all know about dvd delays....)
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-04, 01:36 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

I knew I could count on y'all

so is this a good price for the basic back kit? $49 + s&h?
http://www.allaboutmassagers.com/app...ling-Video-Kit

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-04, 01:41 PM  
Aline

I need to know the same thing as Jane. There are too many choices! Choices are good, I guess, but confusing here.

And for those of you who have tried more of than one of these, which would you keep if it could only be one?
Aline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheryl soleway, stomach massage, yamuna, yamuna ball substitutes