Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-05, 08:02 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
What! You don't have Billy's balls???

nope! got to leave him "something" --after all with all the balls we have around here, the guys have NO chance.

Stevie
Stevie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 08:38 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

You dirty, dirty girls.

Figures. I'm waiting for my bum VHS replacement to see if I even like Body Rolling and you all are buying the new dvds!

Let me know if they're chaptered well.

Lexy
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 05:56 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

Though my life is crisised and crazed, like a true vidiot I took the 7:50 a.m. train today for a class at Yamuna in NYC. The class worked on legs, abs and back for about an hour 15 minutes. Very nice studio (in a great West Village neighborhood). The atmosphere was professional, but welcoming. No intimidation factor, though I'm not a light lady. During the live class I learned to:
. Get in the optimum body position to work deeply into muscles.
. To work slowly enough--I tend to rush at home.
. Safety tips about a few places on the body to avoid.
. Where to work as one rolls up the back--the ridge immediately beside the spine.

The studio has Yamuna-based yoga and pilates classes in addition to the ball one.

After the class I shopped, loading up on the new DVDs. The sideline, total body and legs DVDs are chaptered, the foot/anywhere DVD only has the two chapter sections. Since I'm "rolled" for the day, I'm not going to launch into them immediately.

I feel worked and stretched and I'd like to continue this method (I'm a bodywork junkie, having done shiatsu, myotherapy and rolfing--twice and struggle constantly with face/neck spasms.) Since class in Manhattan is easily a half-day project, I assume I'll primarily practice at home.

I told the staff about our forum, and they were delighted to learn about all the positive discussion.

Susan G.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 06:13 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Susan, thanks for the report. What good initiative on your part. I've never been to the studio, but I'm very familiar, and fond of, the location. I look forward to visiting in the future.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 06:54 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G.
During the live class I learned to:
. To work slowly enough--I tend to rush at home.
I do too if I'm not using the video. The class sounds wonderful -- I guess it's one of the perks for living up north, and putting up with a real winter

I wish I'd waited a few more days to order the Total Body workout - it's supposed to be here tomorrow on VHS, and I'd have much rather had the DVD. I just loved the Back routine so much, I couldn't wait!

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 06:54 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Thanks Susan for the report! I noticed today we have a new VF member named Yamuna, maybe she signed up after hearing about us from you. I ordered the total body and legs DVDs and should have them by the end of the week. I'm glad to hear they are chaptered. I took a few classes last month (not in NYC) and I was definitely hooked on how good I felt afterwards.

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 06:58 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavtx
I do too if I'm not using the video. The class sounds wonderful -- I guess it's one of the perks for living up north, and putting up with a real winter
yes, Terri - the "living in civilization" perk. some of us go too far north, though.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-05, 07:00 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

They do have quite a few practitioners throughout the nation, in addition to their studio.
You can do a search on their website:

http://www.yamunabodyrolling.com/?Page=Practitioners

Susan G.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-05, 10:55 AM  
Barb
VF Supporter

Susan, I'm so glad that you enjoyed the experience at Yamuna's studio. Since I live just as close to NYC as you do, I really should get in there too! I've found that I am even looser and my muscles are more relaxed since I've been body rolling for a couple (? when did we start this thread?) of months.

I do want to make an addendum to my thoughts on the balls. I like the smaller Fitball ones, however, they are NOT of the same quality as Yamuna's. I need to add air quite often and I'm still awaiting replacement of my intermediate ball which was defective. (They did send me another ball, however they sent me the wrong size. They wer super nice about it, but I still haven't received the right one.) So, I guess my recommendation would be to stick to the Yamuna balls.
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-05, 01:22 PM  
SpecialK

Advice on which Yamuna tape/ball

Hi Everyone
I've really enjoyed reading this thread and hearing about pple's individ experience with body rolling.

I am in Toronto Canada and wondering about whether to purchase the Back Video and red or yellow ball to start. My issue is stress and exercise induced neck, shoulder and back tension. I also recently strained my lower back and it is still somewhat tender. Have pple found that overall to start that the yellow ball is superior or is it OK to just go with the red. And can you use either of these larger balls for neck/shoulder work (which I assume is covered in the back video). The other choice would be to get the total body video, but I was moreso thinking of starting with the back one, check results and then consider the add on DVDs etc.

I have also contacted a body rolling instructor here in the city and may attend a class or two, but her prices on the equipment are much higher than online so would like to order the equipment beforehand.

thanks for your input

Karyn
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheryl soleway, stomach massage, yamuna, yamuna ball substitutes