Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-19, 01:15 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
LOL! I have an ad blocker on my browser and that site wouldn't let me read the article until I turned it off. I didn't bother.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-19, 09:18 PM  
Scorpio6

I guess my attitude is too "in your face" to be phased by this tracking game. I just figure, I'm the boss of my life and my money, they can track me all they want, I only buy what I need and that can be unpredictable from one day to the next. If they want to track me, go ahead, it's not going to do you any good. So there.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 01:18 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
LOL... So funny! Thanks for sharing!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 09:11 AM  
Izzy

There is an article out today about a couple who installed one of those Ring cameras in order to watch their puppy while they are at work. The camera is in their room where the dog crate is. Someone hacked into their camera and while woman was in bed she heard coughing and then someone made a comment about seeing her in bed. That is seriously creepy. Eyes are everywhere.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 11:56 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
There is an article out today about a couple who installed one of those Ring cameras in order to watch their puppy while they are at work. The camera is in their room where the dog crate is. Someone hacked into their camera and while woman was in bed she heard coughing and then someone made a comment about seeing her in bed. That is seriously creepy. Eyes are everywhere.
I saw something like this on local news last night, some hacker got into a camera used in a child's room. Scared the heck out of the kid when the camera started talking to her.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 01:07 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
I guess my attitude is too "in your face" to be phased by this tracking game. I just figure, I'm the boss of my life and my money, they can track me all they want, I only buy what I need and that can be unpredictable from one day to the next. If they want to track me, go ahead, it's not going to do you any good. So there.
Well, the fact that you are on VF already makes it highly unlikely that you only buy what you "need" Lol Though I guess defining "need" could change that interpretation. I do think advertising is far more insidious. In the moment, it's easy to be defiant if you know you are a mark. But I think places like Amazon are very adept at showing you things (related to prior purchases) that you would never have thought to search out except for the fact that they create interest. I bet most of us would not buy half the crap we do (even if it is good stuff) except for the fact that it pops up and looks intriguing. We are very subtly enticed. How many people browse and come away with something they did not initially search out? And now we don't even have to get up and drive some place to be enticed. Consumer spending has changed dramatically with predatory marketing and online shopping. Most homes are stuffed to the max with handy items we don't really need---in the closets, under the bed, garages, storage units etc. I personally think quality of life was better when we were not so barraged and perhaps less able to access so many shiny things. You have to work really hard not to be entangled and even those of us who are trying have to constantly question the balance.

Sometimes I think the only way to win is not to play. I bet if people were forced offline for a year, it would be an eye-opener with regards to changes in total spending. Not just for shopping but also for how we reconnect to our lives more when we don't have online diversions.
Old 12-12-19, 01:12 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Well, the fact that you are on VF already makes it highly unlikely that you only buy what you "need" Lol Though I guess defining "need" could change that interpretation. I do think advertising is far more insidious. In the moment, it's easy to be defiant if you know you are a mark. But I think places like Amazon are very adept at showing you things (related to prior purchases) that you would never have thought to search out except for the fact that they create interest. I bet most of us would not buy half the crap we do (even if it is good stuff) except for the fact that it pops up and looks intriguing. We are very subtly enticed. How many people browse and come away with something they did not initially search out? And now we don't even have to get up and drive some place to be enticed. Consumer spending has changed dramatically with predatory marketing and online shopping. Most homes are stuffed to the max with handy items we don't really need---in the closets, under the bed, garages, storage units etc. I personally think quality of life was better when we were not so barraged and perhaps less able to access so many shiny things. You have to work really hard not to be entangled and even those of us who are trying have to constantly question the balance.

Sometimes I think the only way to win is not to play. I bet if people were forced offline for a year, it would be an eye-opener with regards to changes in total spending. Not just for shopping but also for how we reconnect to our lives more when we don't have online diversions.
Well said! Totally agree, unfortunately!
Old 12-12-19, 02:42 PM  
MARIKA

That's why I deleted FB from my phone. After watching that Netflix show and seeing how they track you and profile your life was CRAZY. The day I deleted it I went to my library and got a new card. I used to love the library but when the internet came along it was all consuming.
Old 12-12-19, 02:49 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
That's why I deleted FB from my phone. After watching that Netflix show and seeing how they track you and profile your life was CRAZY. The day I deleted it I went to my library and got a new card. I used to love the library but when the internet came along it was all consuming.
I am under the impression you are tracked whether on FB or not (I'm not on FB either). I agree that documentary was a bit horrifying...the sheer manipulation going on is mind boggling!
Old 12-12-19, 02:53 PM  
MARIKA

kittybug, when I deleted the App on my phone when I got on my laptop it automatically new I deleted it and started showing me all these notifications and posts from friends. When I had my app it never did that.

Tags
advertising, big brother, privacy, tracking