Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-19, 08:25 AM  
MARIKA

Pretty sure they are watching too. DH bought our grandson these helicopter ball super hero things that fly. Actually really cool, only problem don't stay charged long. not good for a 3 yr. old so I hid them. I don't even know what they are called.so we weren't saying the name. Well last winter Frankie found them and got them out we charged them and were playing with them. I picked my phone up and they were on my FB feed.That was to coincidental for me. Oh, I am paranoid
Old 12-11-19, 08:51 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

What's really scary when all you did was THINK about buying something and then get ads for it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-19, 09:12 AM  
marki64

One day this past summer, my daughter and I were cooking dinner and we were listening to music on my bluetooth speaker. We don't have a smart speaker in our house. The music went out and voices came on. It was all sex stuff (people having sex). Most likely staged. My daughter and I just stopped dead in our tracks. It stopped and a little while later it happened again. No one believed us. My husband uninstalled and reinstalled the blue tooth. It hasn't happened since, but I am leary.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-19, 09:34 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I know they track us all over the internet. But if my phone is sitting here and I'm not using it, they still hear me and track that? I wasn't aware of that. How are they watching us? This little camera thingy on my chromebook is watching me now? My son puts tape over his laptop camera. I guess I will too now
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-19, 09:36 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
One day this past summer, my daughter and I were cooking dinner and we were listening to music on my bluetooth speaker. We don't have a smart speaker in our house. The music went out and voices came on. It was all sex stuff (people having sex). Most likely staged. My daughter and I just stopped dead in our tracks. It stopped and a little while later it happened again. No one believed us. My husband uninstalled and reinstalled the blue tooth. It hasn't happened since, but I am leary.
GROSS!!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-19, 10:04 AM  
MARIKA

There's a really interesting documentary on Netflix called You've been Hacked. It's basically about what FB is designed to do, and it's not about friends.
Old 12-11-19, 10:30 AM  
prettyinpink

I don’t believe companies can see your actual texts (maybe there are exceptions for certain apps or if you use DM on social media rather than texting?).

I have had some of these things happen, too, and I know some of them have to be coincidence. But I think a lot of them are because people are more predictable than they think. “They” do profile us and then show us things they think we want to see or might purchase, based on what other people similar to us are buying and looking at online. Or maybe even people we have had contact with?

There is a way to get rid of some of the phone spying by locking down settings. There are articles online about where it is on the phone and what to do. Some things surprised me and some didn’t.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-19, 12:26 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
What's really scary when all you did was THINK about buying something and then get ads for it.
Right??
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-19, 01:03 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Had to share. Enjoy!

Beware the Dangers of a "Smart Home"

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-19, 01:10 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
It creeps me out but my DH really wants a "smart" home
My DH still has an old flip phone, LOL! We've never used Siri, Alexa or any of those things. I turn wifi and bluetooth off most of the time. We don't use the Amazon Fire device that often and keep it unplugged most of the time. I have stickers over the camera eyes on my computer and devices. I don't use the voice command in my car. I clean the cookies and cache on my computer and devices every day.

We have a mostly dumb home. As we age, we may opt to start with all that.

Yeah, I'm paranoid. And aware that there really is no escape from tracking.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advertising, big brother, privacy, tracking