Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-20, 04:09 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
If they do that, I hope it is not all product placement like it used to be. How many times did they push Jennie O turkey and Subway
Oh my, NOOOO! I totally forgot about that stuff Sherry!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 12:38 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I keep meaning to post that I thought this season of The Biggest Loser on the USA network did get a little better IMO after the episode where the contestant broke her foot jumping into the shallow mud pit during a challenge. I loved the next week's challenge which involved a succession of really simple (but difficult) things (holding poses) like holding your arms up in a front raise and there was a horizontal rope above and below and if you dropped or raised your arms too much and touched the rope, you were out.

Also, (spoiler alert) the woman who broke her foot in the mud pit challenge continued to lose weight and made it to the final four (but not the final 3) despite not being able to participate in challenges and earn weight advantages and despite only being able to primarily just work out with her upper body and being in a big boot and crutches.

I also really preferred the 2nd half of the finale to the usual Biggest Loser finale (1st half of this year's finally was mostly fluff so I fastforwarded through most of it). The 2nd half, which I mostly watched, was totally casual (everyone just walked into the house wearing regular clothes and sat around on the couches and talked about their experiences at home and they went over whose diabetes had been reversed, whose cholesterol was lowered, etc.). They did NOT weigh all the at-home contestants in on tv. They only publicly weighed in the top 3 at-home contestants who the producers knew had lost the most weight.

There was a tiny studio audience at the very end for a brief final weigh-in of the top 3 at-home contestants and the top 3 Biggest Loser campus contestants. There was even a brief "Where are they now" bit at the end for the winner showing that (at least at the time of airing) the winner was continuing to lose a little bit of weight and had not begun gaining it all back.

Overall, contestant seemed to lose a relatively "normal" amount of weight this season compared to prior seasons. I mean, some people had double-digit weeks now and then, but when you added it all up, it was not as drastic/dramatic a transformation IMO compared to the old Biggest Loser (which gives me some hope that maybe there were "healthier" and more sustainable weight loss and lifestyle/diet changes).

There definitely did not seem to be any "strategy" going on or purposely built into this Biggest Loser, which made it less exciting/interesting in some ways, but better IMO. If you're familiar with the old Biggest Loser, there used to be quite a bit of "strategy" that went on as far as who got voted out from the "bottom 2", alliances, teams/individuals who had won weight loss advantages from challenges purposely losing less weight some weeks so that they could lose more the next week when they didn't have the advantage, etc. Also, the weigh-ins were quicker this season it seemed and not quite as drawn out as in other seasons.

So if you were looking for that kind of reality show/game drama and strategy, this Biggest Loser was not for you. There was also no "makeover episode" as far as I know. (I think maybe part of the smaller studio audience, no makeover episode, smaller prize money, etc. seemed like maybe they had a smaller budget to work with but I'm not sure).

Now, all that said, I would only recommend the show to people who like weight loss-type reality shows and have a way to fast forward. I watched each hour long episode in 10 minutes or less usually.

At the end of the finale, they were asking for participants for next season's Biggest Loser so maybe USA will have another season?
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 06:48 PM  
Mickey12

I watched this season. Like you, I was doing a lot of fast forwarding. I agree with all of your points. I’m not sure if I will watch it again if it returns.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 07:57 PM  
lingo10

It felt very boring this time around idk.

FT25 Alpha, Beta, Gamma Grad 4/14
Insanity Grad 8/14
Insanity Max 30 Grad 3/15, 2x Grad 11/15
Current Programs/Workouts: Caroline Girvan's Iron Series & Other Mixed Workouts.
lingo10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggest loser, the biggest loser