Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-11, 09:40 AM  
PhyllisG

Infomercial for American Power Yoga

I saw a new infomercial (at least for me) this a.m for American Power Yoga by the guy who is the yoga instructor for the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. I think his last name is Johnson. It claims to be a mix of yoga and some martial arts. It is kind of like the BB products in that it is a 60 day rotation with, I think, 6 discs, a nutrition guide, recipe book etc. I liked the look of this but it is expensive just like BB $120 (?) for the set. I googled it and could get info about the instructor but could not find the set to see clips. They did show clips in the infomercial. I liked the yoga. It looks challenging and I like the concept of a 60 day yoga rotation. I believe it is Ashtanga based. Anyone else catch this on early morning TV?
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 09:47 AM  
Gatorfan76

Found the website!

http://apy60.com/

Very interesting but really expensive and short on info
Old 01-16-11, 10:33 AM  
mtnmom

I like Kurt Johnson's American Power Yoga DVD that he put out a few years ago. It's one of the few yoga DVDs I own. Wow, that system is 3 payments of $39.95! It would be interesting to see what a concentrated system of yoga would do for me, but that's a high price for such an experiment.
Old 01-16-11, 10:53 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Interesting concept--sort of like P90X for yoga! I could go for this just to ramp up my yoga practice since I don't need to lose weight. But before I bite, I'd like to know more about the program and how it is structured, particularly how long the yoga practices are each day. I am guessing they have to be at least an hour long and probably more like 90 minutes.

Anyone doing 60 days of power yoga for an hour (or more) a day would certainly get stronger and more flexible, and following a nutritious eating plan would also help people to take off weight. There must be something about the way Kurt has structured the yoga routines (and the nutrition plan) for the people featured in the ad to lose that much weight. It sounds rather like Tony Horton's structuring of P90X.

Thanks for letting us know about this, and I will bookmark the APY60 site.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 11:06 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

If you get the Veria channel (it's on Fios right before FitTV) Kurt has a yoga show in the mornings. I'm not into yoga, but sometimes I stretch along with him for a few minutes. I like his demeanor - he's down to earth, has a soft southern accent, and doesn't make my skin crawl like some other instructors when they go around adjusting female body parts

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 11:19 AM  
Mary09(b)

I have Kurt's American Power Yoga DVD and like it and him, too. When I quit doing DVDs, his and Ravi/Anas are the only yoga ones I kept. I'll have to break it out someday and also watch for his show.
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 11:26 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Here's a link about the show, Yoga for Life, which comes on at 7 & 10 AM Eastern:
http://www.veria.com/yoga-for-life.html

He also has a Yoga for Life DVD set for sale, only $15 for six 44-min episodes (that's quite a deal!)
http://shop.veria.com/Yoga-For-Life-...B001DYFD0O.htm

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 11:27 AM  
PhyllisG

Maybe Kurt's new set is not such a bad deal after all. His older DVD is selling on amazon for $128! There are 2 used listed at that price.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 11:41 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
Maybe Kurt's new set is not such a bad deal after all. His older DVD is selling on amazon for $128! There are 2 used listed at that price.
Anyone who would like the older DVD: American Power Yoga: Strength is welcome to my copy for SASE. PM me. I'd be happy to have it out of the apartment.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 11:54 AM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

Note that there's no mention of being able to return the set if you don't like it -- at least not that I saw. It says you can change your life, "Guaranteed," but it doesn't tell you what the guarantee is.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american power yoga, kurt johnsen, kurt johnson