Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-20, 08:47 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Jane Fonda’s gray hair at Oscars took her hairdresser 7 hours to do. It looks beautiful.

https://www.today.com/style/jane-fon...y-hair-t173561
She does look great!
Old 02-10-20, 10:54 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT View Post
Jack Martin did Jane Fonda’s hair, the famous colorist that was mentioned on the first page of this thread.

SueT
Yes, I actually had this sort of fantasy idea of making a day of going to southern CA to see him so he could get me gray, but as soon as I saw that he was doing Jane Fonda's hair I decided that's probably not in the cards for me.
Old 02-11-20, 02:50 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Yes, I actually had this sort of fantasy idea of making a day of going to southern CA to see him so he could get me gray, but as soon as I saw that he was doing Jane Fonda's hair I decided that's probably not in the cards for me.
His phone is probably ringing off the hook now.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 03:20 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT View Post
Jack Martin did Jane Fonda’s hair, the famous colorist that was mentioned on the first page of this thread.

SueT
I thought Jane's hair looked great! Thanks for posting the article, I thought she was sporting her real natural color, but it was seven hours of hair stylist magic. Had me fooled, he did a fantastic job.

If you don't have a nice natural silver, I wonder how hard it is to maintain Jane's look with your natural grey?
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 08:45 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
I've also read that grey hair doesn't look nearly as good on overweight women like me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I despise that there is such reading material.
As do I.

In 2018, I started a thread called 'Let's talk about "old talk"'; one point of the quoted sources is that "fat talk" and "old talk" are intertwined. Notice that I didn't label it "Off-Topic." While checking to see if all the links in the original post are still working (as of this writing, they are), I noticed that the YWCA example begins with gray hair.

That kind of thought is why my last post in this thread included this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
I wonder if an openness to other hair colors may signal an openness to other physiques.
So it is that I noticed this, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga
You can see the start of a backlash in the body acceptance movement. I hope that will grow into a more pro health movement and that we all join in that rebellion.
I wonder what "pro-health" would be here--there are discussions of the idea of "health" within the movement, and I agree with some lines of thought more than with others.

Still, one of my first responses may be that moving away from body criticisms has its inherent "pro-health" qualities. Health is really more than things like diet, exercise, and body fat. Someone who lives under a continual gnawing fear of not having a "perfect" body isn't maximally healthy, and someone who spreads that fear may be even less so.

Taiga, I'll probably address other parts of your post later; I substantially agree with the rest of it.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 02:03 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
As do I......

I wonder what "pro-health" would be here--there are discussions of the idea of "health" within the movement, and I agree with some lines of thought more than with others.

Still, one of my first responses may be that moving away from body criticisms has its inherent "pro-health" qualities. Health is really more than things like diet, exercise, and body fat. Someone who lives under a continual gnawing fear of not having a "perfect" body isn't maximally healthy, and someone who spreads that fear may be even less so.

Taiga, I'll probably address other parts of your post later; I substantially agree with the rest of it.
To clarify, I hope in the future that we don't need a "movement" or permission for "acceptance" and that instead we have an environment that truly focuses on health and feeling well. That of course is intertwined with mental health. IMHO, we just don't need a dividing poster child for skinny or fat. We need to enjoy our bodies and nurture them and support others in doing the same. Less division, more compassion, respect and connection-----that would go a long way in healing what ails our society.
Old 02-18-20, 10:25 AM  
TracyQ

It took Jack Martin eight hours to transform Sharon Osbourne’s hair. I think it looks great.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...9YU?li=BBnb4R7

Old 02-18-20, 12:36 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

It's ironic. Going gray or white should mean finally letting go of being a slave to coloring appointments; for many it seems it will just introduce a now host of methods and dye products.

(I mean, 8 hours..??)
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-20, 01:06 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
It's ironic. Going gray or white should mean finally letting go of being a slave to coloring appointments; for many it seems it will just introduce a now host of methods and dye products.

(I mean, 8 hours..??)
I thought the same thing. I wonder what the maintenance is like.

Old 02-18-20, 01:06 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post

(I mean, 8 hours..??)
I thought the same thing!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, ellen barrett, going gray, gray hair, grey hair, hair