Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-05-17, 10:44 AM  
bubbles76

For my Natural 3c/4a VFers – Let’s Talk Hair

I work out and I sweat. A lot. I’ve been wearing my hair in twists and twist outs for a couple of years, but it’s time for a change. However, I worry that my hair will tangle too much in any other loose style. For the past two weeks, I’ve been wearing my hair in one or two puffs and washing my hair every week. So far, so good, but I worry that my edges will thin out. I also worry that I’m washing my hair too much. I’ve gone back to using regular shampoo. It doesn’t have sulfates that I can see, but I do get that squeaky clean feeling that makes me nervous.
So my questions for you:
  1. If you work out hard and sweat hard, how often do you wash your hair? What shampoo do you use? Right now, the Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo is working for me
  2. How do you style your hair?
  3. Do you diffuse? I’ve been diffusing once a week, but only enough so that my hair is slightly damp but not wet when I lay down on my pillow.
  4. If you wear puffs, how do you pamper your edges? Do you wear the puff at night or redo the puff every day?
  5. Finally, can you recommend a medium hold gel without acrylates, PVPs, and bad alcohols that is non-drying? Right now, I’m using a great gel, but it’s been discontinued. Previously for twists, I was using As I Am Curling Jelly, but that doesn’t provide enough hold.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-17, 03:22 PM  
jusca

If you work out hard and sweat hard, how often do you wash your hair? What shampoo do you use?

- I wash my hair once a week. Sometimes I'll wash once every 2 weeks but I need to deep condition weekly to tame the dryness & frizziness if I don't. If I workout hard, I won't shampoo as the conditioning and combing out process is far too much to do other than on a weekend day when I can spend more time on my hair. I'll just run my hair under the water and wait to the weekend to do a complete wash and style.

Shampoos used -- Creme of Nature Argan oil shampoo & Optimum Amla oil shampoo

How do you style your hair?

- Ponytail mostly. Braids or straighten maybe once a year.

Do you diffuse?

- Nope, never tried it. I'd like to soon. I airdry. It takes a few minutes for me.

If you wear puffs, how do you pamper your edges? Do you wear the puff at night or redo the puff every day?

- My edges stay down as long as I wear a satin nightcap. I twist the ends of the ponytail at night so I won't wake up with a matted puff. I have Curls' control paste to tame the edges when they become unruly. Gel doesn't work to control on my temple curls. Plus the paste doesn't get hard like some gels.

Finally, can you recommend a medium hold gel without acrylates, PVPs, and bad alcohols that is non-drying?

- No idea on gels.

My hair type is 3B-C, frizzy and medium texture if that info is needed.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-17, 03:44 PM  
bubbles76

Jusca thank you! Unfortunately, my hair can take a day or two to dry completely. But I don't live in TX, so maybe that's part of it? I deep condition weekly. Fortunately, the detangling/shampoo process for me only takes 30 minutes. I may try that Curls control paste; I'll look up the ingredients.

Thanks so much for the feedback.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 06-05-17, 08:29 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Not a 3c/4a (more of a 2c/3a) but I had a couple of thoughts:

Quote:
[*]If you work out hard and sweat hard, how often do you wash your hair? What shampoo do you use? Right now, the Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo is working for me
I shampoo everyday due to oil production, and I found Giovanni products to be too drying. Both the Tea Tree and the Balanced 50:50 shampoos. My hair still really likes Alaffia shampoos with the African Black Soap. In the summer I use the Revitalizing formula and the rest of the year I use the Hydrating Daily formula. (P.S. Those are my iherb discount links, which gives us each 5% off. I have been finding it increasingly difficult to find these in stores and online. The only other place that I found that sells the Revitalzing formula is Luckyvitamin.com, where it is cheaper but has a higher minimum for free shipping.) You might be ok with the Giovanni Tea Tree since you only shampoo once a week, but if you are concerned, you might want to try something new. (ETA: A lot of people like Shea Moisture products too. I was using the Coconut Hibiscus shampoo and Leave-in before I switched to Alaffia. They have a ton of new formulas now, so you might find something you like.)

Quote:
<snip>
[*]Finally, can you recommend a medium hold gel without acrylates, PVPs, and bad alcohols that is non-drying? Right now, I’m using a great gel, but it’s been discontinued. Previously for twists, I was using As I Am Curling Jelly, but that doesn’t provide enough hold.
I'm currently don't use any styling products but am looking into gels for a different look. A few that I have found that I like for the ingredients are Kinky Curly Control Custard and Eco Sevi Blue Yarrow Gel. In the past I have used Alaffia Beautiful Curls Defining Gel for wavy hair with some success, and they make one for curly/kinky hair. The Beautiful Curls line is still readily available in stores like Whole Foods, and I think the Kinky Curly Control Custard is available at Target. I'm also thinking about trying home made flax seed gel, for how inexpensive it is. (ETA: The Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha might fit the bill too, though it might be too light. I think you have to buy this from their website.)

Have you tried layering the AsIAm gel with a leave-in and oil, a la the LOC method? You might get more hold and moisture that way.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-17, 10:24 AM  
bubbles76

Thanks for the feedback beyond.omega! I do worry that the Giovanni might be drying over time. Was thinking that I could use the Giovanni one week and SheaMoisture the next? Right now, I use SheaMoisture Maduka Honey something something shampoo, as well as their leave in and hair mask. Love the smell and it seems to give more moisture. However, my hair just felt much lighter and softer after using the Giovanni. It was weird. I don't use much product, but maybe I had product build up because the SheaMoisture wasn't getting rid of it all? Or maybe I was going too long between shampoos? So hard to tell.

I have used Kinky Curly Control Custard before, and it dried my hair out terribly. I have a low glycerin tolerance. However, that could be because I lived in GA, and used it during the most humid months. I haven't used Curl Junkie in years! I used to looooovvve their banana deep treat conditioner. Maybe I'll revisit their site? I just hated buying stuff online, and they were pricey for my hair length. I'm past bra strap, with my hair straightened, and thick too.

Oh, and I do layer the AsIAm gel with a leave-in and oil. Not enough hold, plus I think it may be too much product for me.

You've given me a lot to think about, thanks! Off to revisit Curl Junkie.

ETA: This stuff right here tho! This was my first love: Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix Moisturizing Conditioner. Hmmm...I believe it cost this much ten years ago too
Old 06-06-17, 12:27 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

I would love to hear what you use for deep conditioning products. My hair is 2b/2c really, but if I don't keep it full of moisturizer, it gets dry and frizzy. Ugly.

I too only wash my hair like once a week and that's at most. I almost find that the more oils it has, the easier it is for me to manage. As a matter of fact, I hate how my hair looks for the first 1-2 days after I wash it - way too loose and potentially frizzy (especially here in FL!).

Anyway, I started using coconut oil and stuff like that for awhile, but it didn't really moisturize my hair.

Any thoughts?

T

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-17, 02:54 PM  
m42

If you work out hard and sweat hard, how often do you wash your hair? What shampoo do you use? Right now, the Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo is working for me

I wash and go most days. I cowash or water rinse in the morning during the week and wash with Terresentials on Sunday.

How do you style your hair? I'm

It's free

Do you diffuse? I’ve been diffusing once a week, but only enough so that my hair is slightly damp but not wet when I lay down on my pillow.

I use the Devafuser during cool days and winter, otherwise I plop.

If you wear puffs, how do you pamper your edges? Do you wear the puff at night or redo the puff every day?

N/A I feel that puffs pull out my edges.

Finally, can you recommend a medium hold gel without acrylates, PVPs, and bad alcohols that is non-drying? Right now, I’m using a great gel, but it’s been discontinued. Previously for twists, I was using As I Am Curling Jelly, but that doesn’t provide enough hold.

I use the cheap aloe Vera gel you can get in the drugstore or the expensive one you can get at Whole Foods that needs to be refrigerated followed by sweet almond oil. I only use Ecostyler when I'm traveling and don't plan to rinse daily.

Btw I'm 3c/4a, about bra strap length stretched, right above the shoulder unstretched. My hair is dense but fine, low to normal porosity.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-17, 05:11 PM  
bubbles76

Terri for deep conditioning I use SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque.

M42 thanks for the input! How long do you diffuse, and do you diffuse until completely dry?
Old 06-06-17, 08:18 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Thanks for the feedback beyond.omega! I do worry that the Giovanni might be drying over time. Was thinking that I could use the Giovanni one week and SheaMoisture the next? Right now, I use SheaMoisture Maduka Honey something something shampoo, as well as their leave in and hair mask. Love the smell and it seems to give more moisture. However, my hair just felt much lighter and softer after using the Giovanni. It was weird. I don't use much product, but maybe I had product build up because the SheaMoisture wasn't getting rid of it all? Or maybe I was going too long between shampoos? So hard to tell.

I have used Kinky Curly Control Custard before, and it dried my hair out terribly. I have a low glycerin tolerance. However, that could be because I lived in GA, and used it during the most humid months. I haven't used Curl Junkie in years! I used to looooovvve their banana deep treat conditioner. Maybe I'll revisit their site? I just hated buying stuff online, and they were pricey for my hair length. I'm past bra strap, with my hair straightened, and thick too.

Oh, and I do layer the AsIAm gel with a leave-in and oil. Not enough hold, plus I think it may be too much product for me.

You've given me a lot to think about, thanks! Off to revisit Curl Junkie.

ETA: This stuff right here tho! This was my first love: Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix Moisturizing Conditioner. Hmmm...I believe it cost this much ten years ago too
Thanks for the feedback about KCCC and Curl Junkie. Some things for me to think about too. I hear you about glycerin - I understand NJ can get pretty humid in the summer too.

Since you do the LOC thing, I was going to second my recommendation for the Alaffia Beautiful Curls products. I think they have a shampoo, leave-in, oil and gel/cream each for wavies and for curlies. The Whole Foods's around Portland still carry these so you could return them for a full refund if you could find them in your Whole Foods's. But I'm not sure its what you want to go for. But it looks like you got a lot of good ideas here.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 08:55 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Thanks for the feedback about KCCC and Curl Junkie. Some things for me to think about too. I hear you about glycerin - I understand NJ can get pretty humid in the summer too.

Since you do the LOC thing, I was going to second my recommendation for the Alaffia Beautiful Curls products. I think they have a shampoo, leave-in, oil and gel/cream each for wavies and for curlies. The Whole Foods's around Portland still carry these so you could return them for a full refund if you could find them in your Whole Foods's. But I'm not sure its what you want to go for. But it looks like you got a lot of good ideas here.
Jersey humidity is positively tame compared to Central GA I'm always on the lookout for a good gel so I will look up the Alaffia Beautiful Curls gels.

M42, I tried the Aloe gel thing, it just didn't have enough hold. May be good for a twist out, but not a puff. Plus, I think the one you may be talking about had some ingredients I didn't like. Not the all natural one you put in the fridge (which made my hair smell nice, but that was it) but the other one.

Tags
natural hair, natural hair care, natural hair working out