Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-17, 06:13 PM  
Roya J

Classical Stretch and cramping feet

Does anyone have a problem with cramping feet after doing Classical Stretch, especially on days when attention is focused on your feet? If so what did you do about it? I have been doing Classical Stretch 6 days a week for over two years...
Roya J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 06:19 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Maybe it has more to do with your nutrition/diet than the type of workouts you're doing. I've done plenty of CS but haven't had a problem with cramped feet yet.

ETA: Could it be the type of shoes you're wearing when you're not doing CS that may be causing your feet to cramp? Do you do much walking or walking workouts?

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 07:49 PM  
m42

This has happened to me with an essentrics workout. Magnesium oil worked for me. I just massaged it in before bed.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-17, 05:09 AM  
Negin

It happens to me from time to time as well. I do take magnesium and I guess that helps. Mind you, I don't do CS every day. I wish that I had time to do so. Just wanted to say that I love your name. My daughter has the same name as you!
Old 01-13-17, 09:23 AM  
windyh
VF Supporter

I have had that happen too but I have had issues with cramping feet for 30 years. I think the they have helped the cramping eventually but I went through a rough period for awhile when the cramping increased with the foot workouts. I do take some supplemental magnesium occasionally and in the winter I take a daily Emergen-C. I don't know if the nutritional supplements helped or they exercises worked the cramps out. Good luck. Cramping feet are very painful.
windyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-17, 10:10 AM  
Roya J

Thank you for your suggestions, and I will give them a try. The massaging with the oil sounds helpful. The diet thing might help, but since the problem is mainly with one foot I will try the oil first...

My problem seems to be my right foot, and it tends to start in the toe next to my little toe and travels up my foot...when it cramps I can actually see the tendons (I guess that is what they are called) stranding out and my toe twisting off to the side. In the past I have been stopping to massage whenever necessary, and this seems to make my foot relax somewhat.

I think I will experiment with doing the exercises without putting a lot of weight on my foot. I maybe just overdoing these exercises...I had a similar problem with Classical Stretch/Essentrics with over-stretching at first. I learned to never try to stretch like I am trying to pull my arms out of the socket. Commonsense and experience taught me that...Thanks again!
Old 01-13-17, 10:13 AM  
Roya J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
It happens to me from time to time as well. I do take magnesium and I guess that helps. Mind you, I don't do CS every day. I wish that I had time to do so. Just wanted to say that I love your name. My daughter has the same name as you!
Thank you for the comment on my name. I actually made it up..lol. last name plus initial. Obviously, I like it too.
Old 01-13-17, 10:22 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roya J View Post
I think I will experiment with doing the exercises without putting a lot of weight on my foot. I maybe just overdoing these exercises...I had a similar problem with Classical Stretch/Essentrics with over-stretching at first. I learned to never try to stretch like I am trying to pull my arms out of the socket. Commonsense and experience taught me that...Thanks again!
This might make sense. Remember that Miranda is a former ballerina, and she has a very strong "en pointe" to her feet. If I try to point my feet to that same degree, my feet often cramp too! (Note: I already take high doses of magnesium for migraines; it can help but may not solve the problem.)

My feet also tend to cramp in yoga, most often when sitting back on my heels or in child's pose--again, I think these postures place the feet in a more extreme pointed position. Stretching the toes can also be beneficial, either via a product like YogaToes or something like these socks (which I'm wearing right now!).

Honestly, though, I think some people must be just more prone to foot/toe cramping. I do all of the above, and sometimes my feet will randomly cramp up on me while watching TV!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-17, 12:21 PM  
BigBadBetty

No, but my boyfriend had that problem. He couldn't do any of the foot work in Classical Stretch. He has high arches that are beginning to fall. I have the flattest feet in the world. He also gets occasional foot cramps doing nothing at all. I should have him try the magnesium. Thank you for starting this thread.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-17, 01:12 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Miranda is big into feet. She strongly feels that our feet are our foundation and that we need to strengthen our feet and toes just like the rest of our bodies. Her angle is that shoes, meant to support our feet, create muscle imbalances and poor strength by offering a false support system and constricting the foot and it's movement.

She feels it is important to take off the shoes, strengthen our feet and work all those balance reflexes. Many of the professional athletes and dancers swear by her approach and feel strengthening and stretching the foot has enhanced speed, agility, and strength.

That said, I've had a few people that say that their feet are absolutely killing them when they first start taking class with me. A couple of participants were persistant, took a lot of breaks, and work able to get past the initial discomfort. One lady comes to class and insists on wearing shoes. I did have one person, who has severe feet issues, just decide the class wasn't for her.

Doing Essentrics/CS has been so beneficial for me...I have chronic ankle issues from my gymnast days and plantar fasciitis. I've found a lot of pain relief in Miranda's foot strengthening exercises.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote