Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-09, 03:53 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I only clicked on this thread to see why there were so many posts about replacements and all I can say is ,"WOW".

To stay on topic..... I am still waiting on my replacements. They are suppose to ship this week.

Off-topic......... I am in week two and already loving my results. I have lost an inch off my waist and my jeans are loser.
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 03:56 PM  
silvil
VF Supporter

Quote:
If you follow the maintenance schedule, that looks like undulating periodization.
Aha, yes! I did look at that 4th month rotation, and was very tempted to just go with that one (more variety for my short attention span self), but I just bit the bullet and gave the long program a go.
silvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 04:08 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Though apples and pears are in the same family, botanically (as are roses!).
Silly Kathryn is at it again. I'm more of a fart joke person than botanical joke person though.........
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 04:11 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
I only clicked on this thread to see why there were so many posts about replacements and all I can say is ,"WOW".

To stay on topic..... I am still waiting on my replacements. They are suppose to ship this week.

Off-topic......... I am in week two and already loving my results. I have lost an inch off my waist and my jeans are loser.
On topic, I'm also waiting for my replacements.

Off-topic, I'm starting my second week of my own rotation which uses the CLX weight workouts. I lost 1/2 lb. and 2% body fat. It's not a lot in terms of weight but I'm happy that I lost body fat. Actually, I'm at the same weight and body fat% before the holidays (beginning of Nov). I ate a lot of treats during the holidays. So it took one week to lose what I gained in two months.
Old 01-12-09, 04:30 PM  
Debbie M

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvil
Sorry for quoting myself, but I found Chalene's blog entry where she referred to Undulating Periodization.
http://chalenejohnson.blogspot.com/2...k-to-blog.html

Here's the money quote:
"More details to come, but in a nutshell, it's a strength training program built on the science and research I have been studying for the past year. The program is built on the concept of Undulating Periodization and heavy weights to create very different results in men than we see in women. Men get leaner and bigger, women get leaner, but smaller. Both species are happy!"

So it seems she *didn't* bill it as a hypertrophy system as defined by Debbie M above. But my original question still applies to anyone familiar with the term and has viewed/done the workouts -- is this really an UP system?
This is totally incorrect.

This quote is just marketing talk to keep women happy.

Chalene was saying that women do not get bigger when they add lean mass (which is what hypertrophy is) and also lose fat!!!

People just do not understnd the meaning of the term hypertrophy.

I have already quoted the guidebook - gaining muscle is the quoted goal of her periodization program!!!!!!

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 04:32 PM  
Gaylene

On topic- I'm still waiting for my replacements. I finally received a shipping notice and should have them Wednesday. At the time that I received my response from customer Service to say that my reshipment had been processed, they also offered lifetime replacement insurance for $9.95. I'm wondering if I should take it, as I'm not going to get a chance to preview all the DVD's and make sure that they're OK within the 30 day return time. Has anyone else paid for the replacement insurance?

Off topic- I'm loving this set. I've worked out for years and varied my training to meet different goals. This set truly is unique, and challenging in a way that other training methods aren't. I'm loving the emphasis on working the large muscle groups and the very time efficient workouts. To lift very slowly, with heavy weights and in a position which causes you to engage multiple muscle groups to maintain control and balance is such a great change from the more rapidfire ballistic kettlebell training that I also love. I'm already at goal weight, but into the 4th week of CLX and have dropped body fat and I'm seeing even more definition in my shoulders. I haven't even viewed the Push phase yet, but I plan on doing only HIIT cardio in that phase and not the Burn it and burn Intervals.
Gaylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 04:51 PM  
stephanie_932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie M
This is totally incorrect.

This quote is just marketing talk to keep women happy.

Chalene was saying that women do not get bigger when they add lean mass (which is what hypertrophy is) and also lose fat!!!

People just do not understnd the meaning of the term hypertrophy.

I have already quoted the guidebook - gaining muscle is the quoted goal of her periodization program!!!!!!

Deb
I've been sitting here reading these posts over and over again, and I just have to ask this out of curiosity. I did try to find out by looking at your profile, Deb.......but my question isn't answered there. But, here goes. Do you have some kind of certification that makes you this knowledgeable about hypertrophy or putting workouts together? Are you an instructor? Coach? Trainer?

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just trying to understand how you feel this program is set up incorrectly (from your post on the other thread) or that Chalene doesn't mean what she says in her blog, etc. You seem to come off knowing more than the professionals do.
Old 01-12-09, 05:03 PM  
silvil
VF Supporter

Sigh... I'm beyond confused.

Debbie, so you are saying that one is not likely to gain muscle mass with this program? Really? I don't have your health background, but I do respect your opinion (and all others' for that matter), but I think it would be difficult NOT to gain muscle mass doing heavy weights for 30 minutes 3 days/week for 90 days. Fat loss is a separate issue, though of course intertwined.

I can only go by my own results -- I don't know if I have gained muscle mass (I don't 'do' measurements or pictures or even scales), but I do know that I have gained strength. Strength is better than weakness.
silvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 05:59 PM  
behaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Though apples and pears are in the same family, botanically (as are roses!).
Even speciation is getting trickier and trickier every day.
behaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 06:07 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvil
I can only go by my own results.
That's really the best way to go, imo.

I care what gives Me results and results will vary by individual! I've given up reading strength articles and such by experts....because they aren't Me! I'm the only expert on what works for my body, so I could give a hang about what any expert says!

Tags
clx