Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-13, 06:26 PM  
620lin

Help for my hips!

Hello Everyone! I have been watching and reading this forum for months and have enjoyed the conversation. It was time for me to get signed up!

I am looking for advice from the VF community. I was a devoted follower of P57 for 2 1/2 years until this past fall. I was starting to show some signs of over training in my glutes. I was born with a curvy bum. P57 definitely lifted it off the back side of my thighs but it was so high I could no longer comfortably fit into my pants. Honestly I was also tired of doing the same 6 videos day after day. This past fall I took a break from working out all together and gained inches back in my hips and thighs. (I was also irritated at the online experience with P57 but that is another topic!)

In Feb I started working out again. Thanks to everyone here I branched out and bought the various "physique" barre workouts, a few yoga DVDs and TA hipcentric. I have also been introduced to lots of content on YT and Suzanne Bowen.

I have been walking for cardio and using the Suzanne Bowen streaming workouts. I appreciate her attention to detail and form. She is a bit slow at times but I just add a few reps or march in place while she is setting up the next move. My arms and quads look great.

My question is about the saddle bag/hip area. This is the first place I gain and the last place I see results. I was born with birthing hips!

I am thinking about adding TA but I don't want to lose the definition that I have in my arms and quads. For those that have been doing TA is it possible to consider just doing her hip/glute work in addition to what I am already doing? It will be a pain to switch DVDs constantly but I will consider it if the results are really worth it.

I do eat a clean diet and track my calories eaten and use a polar HR monitor. I feel as though I have a good pulse on my calories.

I am open to any suggestions that others may have.

Thanks in advance!
620lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-13, 06:55 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 620lin View Post
Honestly I was also tired of doing the same 6 videos day after day. This past fall I took a break from working out all together and gained inches back in my hips and thighs. (I was also irritated at the online experience with P57 but that is another topic!)
Yes, yes, oh yes. I am also a devoted P57er and have had great results in my hips, which are also my 'problem area.' Birthing hips... yes, I have them, too! I've been doing the monthly challenge posted on the P57 blog this month and my DH noticed I'm getting a hip dimple! Yay!

However, I am with you on the online workout irritation and getting burned out on the same workouts over and over. I met Tanya Becker two months ago and she told me they were going to be offering 'a lot of new content,' but that's still online streaming and the only added material so far is including all the DVD workouts for online streaming... not exactly what I had in mind when she said 'new content.'

Anyway, I digress. If you have Hipcentric, I def. think you can't go wrong with that. It is really wonderfully hip-focused, but I just really don't like TA.

I'm going to start a Leah Sarago rotation for July... just to mix it up a bit. I'm sure I'll throw a little Physique 57 in there because I won't be able to stay away from my beloved workouts... but I need a change.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-13, 06:58 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Hi and welcome!

I used to be a barre devotee for several years and I switched to TA Continuity Omni about two years ago. Since then I have seen the most changes in my abs and arms and I believe that this is not due to the standing arms or focused ab work but to all the planks/all fours involved in the lower body work. Maybe try focusing only on TA and see how your arms do? Sometimes just changing the type of workouts we do produces nice results.

On the other hand, I agree that TA is a little light on quad work compared to barre and during the first year I would sometimes add a short (15 min.) standing barre/ballet segment to my TA workout.

Good luck and let us know how you do
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-13, 07:20 PM  
marmact

Many people have said here that Hipcentric flattened their glutes, so I would probably keep some of the barre work in there (say once a week or so), or some other work that is glute focused.

I'd give a lot for a butt that is so high my pants don't fit, LOL.
Old 06-26-13, 10:38 PM  
Kathleen86

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
I used to be a barre devotee for several years and I switched to TA Continuity Omni about two years ago. Since then I have seen the most changes in my abs and arms and I believe that this is not due to the standing arms or focused ab work but to all the planks/all fours involved in the lower body work. Maybe try focusing only on TA and see how your arms do? Sometimes just changing the type of workouts we do produces nice results.
I can't speak to the effectiveness of planks because I'm doing glutecentric and it has zero planks (at least so far?..moving on to level 5) and everything is all fours. But, the Meta arm work on its own is not doing it for me. So I guess 'which meta' makes a difference! I can't say I've lost definition because I started from being sedentary (7 weeks ago) but it's not building arm definition. Arms are teeny tiny as promised but they are squishy and weak.

I see no reason why you couldn't rotate Hipcentric in with what you've been doing. I've been adding glute meta to kettlebells (not really doing it for my arms either, since the arm is a 'lever', the moves have momentum, and my bell is still light). I'm happy with glutecentric (for the glutes..my hips in the back still need help!) and I do the videos way less than the recommended 6x/week. I have no desire to follow TA's recommendations to the letter..I don't think it's necessary at all for results. If Suzanne Bowen workouts are making your arms look good, I think you should rotate them in...in fact, I'm going to go check them out since I've been looking for 'just the right thing' to add.
Kathleen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 06:24 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

The nice tihng about Meta is that it's short--if you're happy with your arm and ab workouts now, you could always just add in the lower body segments of Meta to what you're already doing. That would add 20 min. to your workout time.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 10:11 AM  
620lin

Thanks everyone! I might try it for a few weeks and see how cumbersome it is to fast forward through the DVDs. I will let everyone know if it works. Thanks again
620lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 02:19 PM  
videofit

Margaret Richard is the answer.

Tags
hipcentric, p57, tracy anderson