Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 11-04-04, 05:18 PM  
monkeyflower

To add another question to the thread... are there some mats that just aren't sticky and won't ever be sticky? My mat isn't sticky at all, and it is WELL used. I've showered with it and shampooed it a few times -- still not sticky, but fresher smelling. I think it's Wai Lana, but I don't remember -- it's a cheapie from Marshall's, that I do know.

Should I give up and buy a new one? I'm finally taking a yoga class, and the instructor holds DD for so long that the sliding really starts to bother me.

Thanks,

Katie
monkeyflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-04, 05:59 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyflower
To add another question to the thread... are there some mats that just aren't sticky and won't ever be sticky?
I believe some mats really are stickier than others, regardless of use. And manufacturers do keep tweaking their formula. Sometimes there is a trade-off between stickiness and longevity, too.

I'm the wrong person to ask about buying a new one :rolleyes: but if you've given it at least a few good washes and tried it for a couple of months, I'd be annoyed enough to try something else.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 08:43 AM  
tkeana

And here I was worried that no one would answer (being a newbie and all). Thank you all for excellent advice. I'll try the Dawn tonight along with the towel, and I'll check out the Utopian mat--after all, Christmas is coming.

Thanks again!
tkeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 08:53 AM  
tkeana

Thank, cyl, for an excellent link.
tkeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 11:18 AM  
AcademiaNut
VF Supporter

I have issues of my own re: collecting more yoga mats than a person could reasonably use in a lifetime. It's a long, sad story I'm now down to two, and I think that's going to have to hold me -because I'm too embarassed to deal with the fallout of collecting more.

For me, the thing that re-stickifies a mat is throwing it in the dryer on low heat for a few minutes . I know. This messes with your head. But if you can make yourself try it, it really works. Whenever I wash my mat, it gets slippery again. A few minutes in the dryer and we're back in business.

Andrea
Old 11-05-04, 11:43 AM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

It also helps if you wash your hands thoroughly before you start, then rub baby powder into your palms.

I don't know how well this would work for an hour-long power yoga practice because I haven't done one lately, but it keeps my hands from sliding around when I do 30' of power yoga.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote