Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-24-16, 10:26 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Cardio Slam and Bonus Abs

Cardio Slam: Loved this!

I haven't been doing much Cathe cardio in the last few years but want to start incorporating more.

This was really fun and doable for someone who is not in peak cardio shape!

Lots of jumping but not straight jumping jacks. The low impact recovery moves were welcome and well placed.

Music didn't bother me but I don't remember loving it either.

S&S Bonus Abs: A+! This is tough and interesting. New Pilates inspired moves and an awesome plank section.
It was about 15 minutes long.

These are winners for me. I will use them often!
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-16, 12:05 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I previewed PHA last night. It looks great but ITA that the music is too loud. Didn't Cathe's older DVDs have "music louder" and "music softer" options? I thought it was my bluray player but if it's like that on my other players, I'll have to switch the music off.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-16, 12:15 PM  
Hilary

Giant Sets

This workout reminded me a lot of Supersets/Push Pull, as it's relatively short, rotates between upper and lower body, and uses the stability ball rather than weight bench. I matched Cathe's weights for the lower body, but went lighter with the upper body ... I can never match her shoulders/chest weights as I have issues with one shoulder and don't want to aggravate it.

I enjoyed the workout mostly because it's new. She really didn't have any moves that I haven't done before, but it flowed nicely and she left enough time between moves to get equipment without having to pause. There will be no dread factor with this one ... there was nothing that felt really "advanced" to me, compared to some of her others. I'm not complaining about this at age 63! The music was unmemorable. It's pretty equipment intensive ... but I appreciated that I didn't have to change weights on the barbell much ... I used 40# and 50# and you only have to change twice. I did the weight work from Four-Day Split recently and I was so annoyed having to change weights on the barbell all the time.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-16, 12:26 PM  
Jenmgo

So far I've done total
Body giant sets and thought it was decent
Today I did cardio slam and I loved
That one! One of my new favorite cardio workouts
The bonus abs is good too, lots of new and different moves
Old 12-24-16, 03:35 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
This workout reminded me a lot of Supersets/Push Pull, as it's relatively short, rotates between upper and lower body, and uses the stability ball rather than weight bench. I matched Cathe's weights for the lower body, but went lighter with the upper body ... I can never match her shoulders/chest weights as I have issues with one shoulder and don't want to aggravate it.

I enjoyed the workout mostly because it's new. She really didn't have any moves that I haven't done before, but it flowed nicely and she left enough time between moves to get equipment without having to pause. There will be no dread factor with this one ... there was nothing that felt really "advanced" to me, compared to some of her others. I'm not complaining about this at age 63! The music was unmemorable. It's pretty equipment intensive ... but I appreciated that I didn't have to change weights on the barbell much ... I used 40# and 50# and you only have to change twice. I did the weight work from Four-Day Split recently and I was so annoyed having to change weights on the barbell all the time.
Great news - thanks for the review Hilary. I can't wait to try this one. I have to admit I avoid 4DS for the same reason. Each segment you have to have changed your step bench (incline, flat), or get out the mini step or barbell or dumbbells or whatever. It's an awesome workout, but sheesh.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-16, 04:16 PM  
lorajc

deleted

Last edited by lorajc; 12-24-16 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Took my review part off....as I feel out of my realm here
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-16, 04:27 PM  
Mickey12

I did PHR training today. I liked that it was only 40 minutes, but I found it a bit repetitive (which it is by design). Cathe moves pretty quickly from one move to the next on this one and sometimes I just had to stop and suck some wind before I could start the next exercise so I missed the first couple of reps. I liked that each exercise is only 12 reps. I also like moving from upper body to lower body back and forth as it give my muscles a break, but the pace is fast and there is definitely a cardio effect. I used lighter weights than Cathe and didn't have 3 risers under my step but I got a great workout. I didn't feel beat up afterwards which is how I sometimes feel with a longer Cathe workout with tons of reps. This is another good one!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-16, 05:47 PM  
darbyndoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I did PHR training today. I liked that it was only 40 minutes, but I found it a bit repetitive (which it is by design). Cathe moves pretty quickly from one move to the next on this one and sometimes I just had to stop and suck some wind before I could start the next exercise so I missed the first couple of reps. I liked that each exercise is only 12 reps. I also like moving from upper body to lower body back and forth as it give my muscles a break, but the pace is fast and there is definitely a cardio effect. I used lighter weights than Cathe and didn't have 3 risers under my step but I got a great workout. I didn't feel beat up afterwards which is how I sometimes feel with a longer Cathe workout with tons of reps. This is another good one!

Kim
I feel the same way. Unfortunately, I got careless in hurrying to get a heavier weight, and must have pulled/strained a muscle in my latt area. Next time, I'll be more careful!
darbyndoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-16, 06:43 PM  
lorajc

nevermind
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-16, 06:45 PM  
Cafelattee

http://shop.cathe.com/help_answer.asp?ID=20#122

Its better to buy from totalfitness
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, peripheral heart action, reviews, strong and sweaty, strong and sweaty reviews, total body giant sets