Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-16, 08:28 AM  
Terry

MCT Oil or Bullet Proof Coffee Before Early Morning Workouts

For three weeks my early morning outdoor boot camp workouts have been as great as they are when I do an evening workout. This has NEVER happened before. I've been trying everything I could think of to improve my performance in my boot camp and thought my ability to improve fitness was simply going downhill with age. I've had great morning workouts less than 10% of my days in the last three years at least.

The secret: I've been taking 1 tbl. of Now MCT Oil an hour before the workout and two squirts of caffeine from those bottled water caffeine supplements 30 minutes before. The caffeine goes into a tbl of water since I am in a class and have an old lady bladder.

Google Bullet Proof Coffee. I don't do the coffee and I don't do 200 more Calories from unsalted butter courtesy of grass-fed cows.

Read up on what not to do: take a whole lot of MCT oil before your body is used to it.

And take this one from me: Don't get out of bed, take MCT, then nap for an hour. I tried this once on the weekend and ended up with a very uncomfortable burning stomach during my weekend video work.

Also take this one from me: I have some issues with exercise-induced and adrenaline-response-induced hypoglycemia. I had finally stopped crashing during workouts when I discovered Boost Glucose Control. I haven't had Boost or any other pre-workout carb this whole three weeks and only crashed once when I failed to eat carbs for dinner the night before. Note that one of my workouts with no crash was Amy Dixon's Breathless Body. The boot camp work is intense but you know Amy so I'm giving you her for clarity.

I am very lean already so can't speak for the fat-burning effects, but you can read up and get excited. I also can't know if there would be any noticeable energy difference for an evening workout since I haven't done any on the oil. My bet is that I wouldn't be able to tell, but I'm calling this stuff my morning miracle oil.
Old 04-19-16, 08:31 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I just finished my BPC. I drink it after my workout. Coffee, KerryGold (salted) butter and heavy whipping cream. I've been drinking it in the morning for months.

I have a cup of black coffee before working out, but I think I'll try the BPC instead. Why not? It does get me going for the day and all that good fat keeps me feeling full for hours. I could use a little spring in my workout step. My only concern is that I'll feel too full during my workout. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old 04-19-16, 02:21 PM  
topfitmama

Joni, try having a smaller cup before the workout and one afterwards. If I recall correctly, you said you have a large cup (on Facebook ).
I have been drinking two average cups of coffee with homemade coconut milk in the mornings and I've noticed a difference in my energy level and in my satiety. I no longer get back from my walk feeling ravenous and I can even do a workout after my walk without fearing an energy dip. Whatever it is, it's working for me!
Old 04-19-16, 02:59 PM  
Tugger31

I have IBS and have to watch certain things I take. I drink 4 oz of strong coffee and eat about 1 Tbsp of natural peanut butter before my hard morning workouts and that has been working well. I was doing things on an empty stomach or just with the coffee, but amazing what the PB has done! Sometimes I sub in a 100 calorie snack pack of almonds to save a few calories.
Old 04-19-16, 04:18 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Wow very interesting. I had not heard of MCT oil. Now I'm intrigued. And I've never tried BPC. I just have a glass of warm lemon juice and cup of black coffee before I workout. I prefer an empty stomach. But I do like the idea of an extra 'boost'.

Any more info on this?

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
Old 04-19-16, 05:25 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Joni, try having a smaller cup before the workout and one afterwards. If I recall correctly, you said you have a large cup (on Facebook ).
I usually have a large cup on the weekends, but a smaller cup during the week. I work out, have the BPC, and then go for a 3 or 4 mile walk. I might try a cup before my workout tomorrow, but it really does fill me up until I eat around noon. We'll see how it goes. 😉
Old 04-19-16, 06:12 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
Wow very interesting. I had not heard of MCT oil. Now I'm intrigued. And I've never tried BPC. I just have a glass of warm lemon juice and cup of black coffee before I workout. I prefer an empty stomach. But I do like the idea of an extra 'boost'.

Any more info on this?
There are tons of articles about it. Here's one: http://gizmodo.com/bulletproof-coffe...ype-1681321467

I tried it for a bit. Also tried smoothies. But I like chewing too much to give up breakfast food!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 04-19-16, 06:15 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Some info on MCTs. Check out the side effects. It seems taking them with food can help. http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...ycerides.aspx?

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 04-19-16, 06:25 PM  
lizh

I usually drink bullet proof coffe in the mornings---- coffee plus kerry gold butter and just started adding cinnamon which has a lot of anti -inflammatory properties.
YUM!
Old 04-19-16, 06:28 PM  
Buzzer

Just an FYI from my personal experience. Start out with MCT oil very slowly! I had a recipe for a smoothie that called for just a teaspoon of it, and I felt nauseous afterwards.
That nausea like when you take an extra strength vitamin on an empty stomach
However, now that I'm more used to it, I love it! You can also use coconut oil in place of MCT oil.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Closed Thread