Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-15, 09:37 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

"No stink" workout wear - is it true?

I have a lot of wicking workout shirts that are starting to smell sweaty, even after hand-washing, white vinegar rinses, Febreeze, etc. that I will resign to the trash bin. I'm looking at replacing with some of the high-tech anti-odor workout clothes but don't want to spend $$ unless they work as claimed.

Does anyone have any of the "silver salts" or other anti-microbial workout wear, and does it work - i.e. have you done multiple washes and there's not lingering sweaty stink?
Old 07-20-15, 09:39 AM  
Chomper

I can't answer the question, I'm afraid. But have you tried a sports wash detergent? I get Atsko from Amazon. It works really well on my fitness wear, but not as well on my husband's... He's stinkier than I am.

Last edited by Chomper; 07-20-15 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 10:10 AM  
desie

I'm having trouble with this too... I had some workout clothes soaking in the sink that I forgot for a couple days, and had to resort to adding a few drops of bleach after trying every other cleaner, even oxi-clean. Bleach gets rid of the smell, but the potential to spill or use more than a few drops is high with me.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 10:12 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Have you tried doing an extra rinse? I read somewhere that the trouble is residual detergent on the clothes. Using only the tiniest bit of detergent and doing an extra rinse is supposed to help.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 10:18 AM  
BunnyHop

I use ERA detergent for pretty much everything, and haven't had that problem.

Maybe being too gentle is the issue?
Old 07-20-15, 10:29 AM  
Sissy B

DH had some regular t-shirts that were gross. I washed them a few times and still couldn't get the stink out. Finally after doing some research on removing odors I put white vinegar in the washing machine with the detergent. That did the trick.

I just bought some Downy Fresh Protect. It's an in-wash odor shield that you put in at the beginning of the wash.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 11:36 AM  
Linda KH
VF Supporter

I have a couple of "unstinkable" tops from Athleta. I wore them through hot, sweaty outdoor runs and did a smell test before I washed them - they definitely did not stink like my usual tops!

I don't usually have a problem with residual stink on my workout clothes, though. I wash them on gentle cycle with Tide Febreeze Sport and let them air-dry.
Old 07-20-15, 11:52 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Thanks for the info, all. I handwash my workout wear, rinse really well and the funky shirts are pretty old/ratty; I'm willing to try some of the other ideas (Atsko etc.) but some of these shirts might not be worth saving. LindaKH, the Athleta 'unstinkable' tops are the ones I'm checking out; today's the last day of their big summer sale and I might splurge on a couple of tanks.
Old 07-20-15, 01:12 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
Thanks for the info, all. I handwash my workout wear, rinse really wall and the funky shirts are pretty old/ratty; I'm willing to try some of the other ideas (Atsko etc.) but some of these shirts might not be worth saving. LindaKH, the Athleta 'unstinkable' tops are the ones I'm checking out; today's the last day of their big summer sale and I might splurge on a couple of tanks.
Absolutely time for new cute workout clothes! I mentioned the sport wash for future reference. I am all about new workout clothes... Be sure to let us know how the unstinkable tops work out...
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no-stink clothes, smelly workout clothes