Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-11, 05:57 PM  
cardiomama

The VF reviews section doesn't get talked about much on the GD, so I assumed that threads & posts about workouts get more focus here than at the reviews section. Sounds backwards then what most think, but I don't get the feeling that as many people read reviews as the threads here. I personally like to check out threads & reviews for workout, and any shared comments/thoughts are helpful.
cardiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 06:21 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cardiomama, I think you are right that there is more emphasis on GD than on the Reviews section. Unfortunately, this often seems to be because many users either don't know about or have forgotten about the Reviews section! There have been countless times when I have seen a thread on GD asking for information that I know is in my review of that DVD (e.g., "does anyone have a breakdown of the moves in X?" or "can some one tell me about the premixes in Y?", etc.). I will respond by saying yes, I included that info in my review and giving them the link, and invariably, I will get a response that says something like "thanks--I always forget to check the Reviews section!"

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 06:28 PM  
lindseylu8

I think we need BOTH kinds of reviews. Sometimes I am looking for specific exercises performed, sometimes intensity level, instructor demeanor, general w/o format, etc etc. So every type of review is appreciated & helpful!

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 07:03 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

We also need to remember that there actually are people who read the reviews section and not the forum. It's a great resource for both those willing to get sucked in here and those who just want to find the info they want and be off. Wendy set it up as a resource for all. I read reviews for almost a year before I ventured onto the forum, though I should admit that was over a decade ago on an older, less inviting set up.

I recently used the reviews to find out whether a compilation DVD on Mary's inventory reduction markdowns included just the 4 main workouts or also the express pre-mixes on the original DVDs. I was only interested in two of the workouts and would probably use the shortened versions the most. The posts on GD and reviews on vendor stes didn't include that info. The one review in the VF review section specifically told me it did not so the DVD no longer seemed like a deal for me. Thanks.

Plus, the more we put out there to the greater world about our favorites, as well as the misses, the more will be availalble and the better it will be. There are many more workouts available than when I started, in so many more styles and of much better quality. I often tend to go for the more obscure ones so have a vested interest in the spread of info about them to ensure I can still find ones I like.

I guess I should actually do some reviews eventually, too, huh?

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 07:09 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I think we need both too...but Karen Jo makes a great point. I don't think I'm the only one who actually discovered VF through the reviews!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 08:35 PM  
SpiritSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I think we need both too...but Karen Jo makes a great point. I don't think I'm the only one who actually discovered VF through the reviews!
Nope, me too!
Old 12-29-11, 08:44 PM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSong View Post
Great post, Renda. I will do my best to do my duty in 2012.

Since I am starting January with a Turbo Jam rotation, perhaps I will add my review to all of those (all except the ball workouts). Although I worry my reviews will be influenced by how far I am into 2012.

Jan. 1st - Chalene is the best instructor ever! So much energy!!

Jan. 15th - Wow, that Chalene sure keeps going, doesn't she. Does the cast really have to smile THAT big throughout the whole workout?

Jan. 30th - Thank goodness the month is ending. If I have to see Chalene's stupid gansta mom face one more time . . .
Too Funny!!!

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 08:55 PM  
iheartsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSong View Post
Great post, Renda. I will do my best to do my duty in 2012.

Since I am starting January with a Turbo Jam rotation, perhaps I will add my review to all of those (all except the ball workouts). Although I worry my reviews will be influenced by how far I am into 2012.

Jan. 1st - Chalene is the best instructor ever! So much energy!!

Jan. 15th - Wow, that Chalene sure keeps going, doesn't she. Does the cast really have to smile THAT big throughout the whole workout?

Jan. 30th - Thank goodness the month is ending. If I have to see Chalene's stupid gansta mom face one more time . . .
This is too funny! That's exactly what I thought about Chalene when I got about halfway through CLX! (but I still love her)
Old 12-29-11, 08:57 PM  
Elise7

Great original post! Thanks!
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 09:37 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I often use the review section (If I'd actually done the Slim Series as many times as I've read the same reviews over and over, I'd be sitting pretty...or so they say). I hope to contribute soon: perhaps I'll review whatever I decide to do on our VF New Year's Workout Day.

I'm one who likes the generalities, e.g. "Instructor X is a robot, but gives excellent form pointers," more than the specifics, "There are 24 reps in 3 sets of....", but that also has a place at times. We're all different and each and every review is valuable to someone.

I'm with Renda - and I'm chiding myself as I write this - just write what you thought/think. It doesn't have to be War and Peace.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews, soap box