Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-20, 07:08 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Jessica's Calm & Strong Workout Plan, Round Two!

I did Stress Buster - Jessica Smith - YouTube: Kickboxing Cardio Abs - 30 minutes & Pahla B - Day 1 Weight Loss for Women Over 50 - 25 minutes.

Jessica's Kickboxing Cardio Abs workout was tough for me. There weren't many modifications offered and it moved pretty fast, but I did survive. I didn't exactly do the floor exercises the way Jessica did and I didn't do all the reps, but I did some. It was interesting to listen to Pahla's talk about weight loss as you age - sadly, it really does just come down to how much you eat, even though over-exercising can make it harder to lose.

We are expecting big new case numbers this week as they have tested about 3700 more folks that work at the packing plant here in town. We are already over 1,550 cases in our city. Meanwhile, the Texas Education Agency is pushing an earlier start date to the school year for public schools this coming year with more and longer breaks during the winter - basically an August 1st to June 25th school year. Our schools here are pretty resistant to that type of calendar, so it will be interesting to see if any of them go that route. School calendars have been set already by the various school districts and I think changing them would be a big deal. It's the one thing that parents are pretty invested in.

Brenda - I've heard that The English Game is really good.

Christine - 30 minutes at one time is about my limit these days. I think it's as much of a mental thing for me as a physical thing. After 30 minutes, I'm like "I need to be doing X or Y". And yes, I was thrilled about my purchases - it's the simple things... I don't think I will ever look at cleaning supplies the way I did before the virus.

Cheri - Nice job - I haven't done the towel one from Smriti yet.

Donna - It can be hard to find the right tension - easier to adjust on the fly with a regular band than a loop. I've not done an extended workout with a loop band, although one of my Prevention sets just uses loop bands and free weights for their 10 to 15 minute workouts.

Off to work ~

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 07:13 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Pahla B - 25 Min Knee Friendly Body Weight MetCon. It was good for a change of pace - in between the 30 seconds of cardio was 30 seconds of body weight toning w/ an emphasis on balance and posture. I'm enjoying doing some workouts w/ Pahla this week - she talks a lot but that is ok - it passes the time!

Jessica Valent - My favorite things workout - a 25 min Pilates based routine that incorporated Jessica's personal favorite exercises.

Carol - nice plan to do Calm & Strong again!

Brenda - that sounds like an interesting series, I will have to look for it.

Cheri - I'm enjoying mixing up my instructors as well!

Nice job, Christine - how is your brother doing?

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 11:35 AM  
cherimac

JV My Favorite Things Pilates Routine. That had a strong flow and challenged me. I enjoyed it.

Donna~I'm enjoying my newish routine too.

Carol~there was a part when Smriti had us lay on our sides and hold the towel apart overhead while doing lower body. It was very uncomfortable for me so I skipped that.
Old 05-12-20, 11:50 AM  
furmomof6

Hello,

Walk
Shaped by Faith: Pilates for the Soul

This was from Season 2 on TV today. I really liked it!

Cheri, I know that kind of move you are describing, I have seen that done in other Pilates workouts I've tried. That doesn't work for me either.

Donna, he's doing much better, thanks! I believe he's going back to work PT next week.

Carol, that's strange. Why bother starting earlier just to take longer breaks in the winter? Our state is supposed to start opening back up in phases on Friday, but apparently my county hasn't met all the governor's requirements yet, so we'll still be closed for now.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-20, 03:36 PM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

JS Pilates + Yoga from WS3

I did yoga in the sunroom at piano lessons again. Though it wasn't sunny... I was listening to rain on the roof, which was it's own kind of cozy.

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 07:09 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Ellen - Stretch Sculpt
Trifecta Pilates - Pilates/Yoga Fusion Class

Yesterday DD and I walked the dogs as usual!

Not much else going on - just plugging along!

Brenda - sounds nice!! Have you seen the You Tube channel Pilates & Yoga w/ Katja - she films in a beautiful sun room setting - I am going to work her stuff into my routine somewhere!!

Christine - I think the idea of starting earlier in the summer and taking longer breaks in the winter is to accommodate COVID. I guess the theory is if it follows the pattern of other viruses it will die down in the summer and re-surface in the winter - so having a longer winter break would mean less out of school time for the kids if they start in the summer. the whole next school year is up in the air, I'm sure, for so many of us. I think the school systems should spend time ramping up on-line education since it is probably inevitable that will be the model for at least part of the year. our school system has done a miserable job so far.

Cheri - I enjoyed Jessica's workout, too. I'm planning to do her barre workout later this week. I couldn't face her "stair workout" today - looked like it would be too hard to modify - and I didn't want to do it in my hallway/stairwell!

waves, Carol!!

Donna
Old 05-13-20, 07:32 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I worked until almost 7 last night - the perils of working at home. It was necessary and that may happen again tonight - just lots to do this time of year. My planned Jessica workout didn't happen, which may be a good thing because I had kind of hurt my knee (a bit) with Monday's workout. Hopefully tonight I can get back to the Calm & Strong rotation. Anyway, I did

Dog Walk - 30 minutes;
Pilates Nest - Pilates for Lower Back Relief - 10 minutes & Short & Sweet Pilates - 15 minutes.

Both of these pilates workouts felt really good last night and was a reminder that I need to be more faithful with them. I kind of let my pilates workouts slide last month in my Jessica enthusiasm.

I suspect you all will see us in the national news in the next few days - our packing plant testing numbers are coming back - we had almost 200 new cases yesterday and many more are on the way.

Christine - Donna is correct - the theory is to build in more breaks in the calendar and allow them to remain flexible, so that if you have an outbreak in October necessitating a closure, you just rearrange the break schedule to coincide with the closure. Of course parents hate that because it makes it hard for them to plan - but I think that's just our reality for next year. So so glad that your brother is doing so well!

Donna - We are ramping up our online teaching - we purchased all new interactive TVs that are part white board - they will allow teachers to record lessons, etc. I'm hearing that we did a decent job with our online teaching the last couple of months, but I'm not hearing very good stuff about our public schools - they quit classes 3 weeks early and didn't teach much new at all. Of course, the public schools are dealing with the dynamic of students not having internet access and varied amounts of parental supervision/involvement. It's a real mess. Educators are saying that instead of the usual "summer slide" in learning this year, it may be more like a "year slide" in learning.

Brenda - I love listening to the rain on the roof! Of course, that doesn't happen very often out here which may be why I enjoy it so.

Cheri - I already know that move probably wouldn't work for me.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 08:11 AM  
donnamp

Carol - I hear you on the perils of working at home - for me it is mostly the weekends when I put in extra time - I'm usually burned out by the end of the work day during the week and then I feel bad that my DD has had nothing to do for much of the day so we go for our walk between 5 and 6. Yea, I was not happy w/ the on-line learning my DD got from the public schools. They went to pass/fail in the 4th term so there is no incentive to do more than the bare minimum. The AP tests are scaled down and it is mainly learning on your own through reading. Which is possible, but not as dynamic as a lecture in history or psychology.....

Donna
Old 05-13-20, 08:13 AM  
donnamp

Oh the good news is that the barn where my DD rides is going to open for lease rides - so she can probably go back to ride her horse this weekend. I feel it is low enough risk as it is outdoors and they are limiting the # of people that can be there at any one time (you have to sign up for a time and you are limited to 90 minutes) and they are limiting the places you can go w/in the barn.

We shall see - I think she will feel better about things if she can get out to do this a few times a week.

Donna
Old 05-13-20, 02:32 PM  
furmomof6

Hello,

I went for a long walk today. My poor dog is sick so she didn't walk long. I didn't realize until we got home that she had thrown up all over the driveway. This happened after she pooped in the house, which is only the 2nd time that ever happened in her 14 years! She's all mopey today. I did get her to eat a little more though and she kept it down.

Donna & Carol, that's what I was thinking was the reason after I posted.

Donna, I'm glad the barn is open for DD to ride! That will be nice for her.

Carol, my sister is having a hard time at home too because there aren't set hours. I know she finds herself "on call" so to speak all day and night, and works well into the evening too.

Brenda, I also love that sound! It makes me think of that song "I love a rainy night"

Hi, Cheri!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote