Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-20, 08:36 AM  
ChelePA

Manley I never heard of Half Price Books but it sounds like a great store. I love a good bargain! I really enjoyed your running experience story. When I was in my 20’s I tried running. I hated it! I tried a couple of other times and I just didn’t like the experience. I wondered about the “runner’s high” and whether the feeling could be gained from other types of exercise. I guess you’re saying it can as long as its intense?

Thank you, everyone, for keeping this thread alive. I can’t say enough how it has helped me keep a positive focus during the pandemic. I have gained cardio endurance and leg strength from doing so many Cathe workouts and my knee has stopped hurting because my quads are stronger. Having something to focus on, like what workout to tackle or wondering how you all are doing, continues to keep me sane. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Kim[/QUOTE]

What a great post Kim! I agree these check-ins have been fantastic for motivation especially during this time. I hate running too...haha. My husband and daughter would train for a 5K and ask me to join them. It never was my thing. My sister also talked about that runner's high. Nope!!! Now indoor cycling is my thing. Love it!!! Really missing my Y classes since this all started. Not even sure when I'll feel comfortable returning.

What type of workout is the wedding one? You have quite a collection!!!

Enjoy this beautiful day in PA!!! So rare these days.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 09:20 AM  
Mickey12

ChelePA the Wedding workout is actually titled “How to get in shape for your wedding”. Cathe made it shortly after she got married and has some clips from her wedding and reception. It’s pretty cheesy but it’s still fun. It has a step workout and a weight section. It’s high beginner/low intermediate in intensity. Actually Cathe and crew only use 5 pound weights for the entire weight section! I did it several weeks ago when Cataddict I think, was doing the really, really old Cathe’s.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 11:03 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Good morning, all! (well, still morning for me )

Perfect 30 is supposed to be released Summer 2020. We'll see!!!

Kim, I agree -- this group has been great inspiration for me. Thanks, you fierce workout warriors!!

On the workout high subject, in my younger days when I could do more intense workouts I do feel like I got that feeling sometimes. I definitely needed my workouts! I guess I still do, but it doesn't feel quite the same.

Sue, I'm thinking I may need to go a bit easier for a bit, too. I was fine but we have a very stressful situation going on that I need to deal with, and that extra stress is taking it out of me (not to mention my sleep).

That Jari Jacked workout is 80 minutes long, so I decided to break it into three days. What I didn't realize is that the times listed for each section include the warmup, which is probably only a few minutes, but there's a heads up for anyone else looking at the times. I did Chest, Shoulders, and Abs today. Not wild about the warmup -- that's Jari and she jumps in with light weights. It was fine I guess, but I like a little more cardio-focused warm up. The counts the guy did (I'll call him Jack but that's not his name ) were different than the youtube workout I did. He did 8-8 twice, 6-2 twice, 4-4 four times, and then repeated, except sometimes he did the second round of 4-4 three times, sometimes two times. His consistency was off. The other odd thing about the workout is after each round he would show a stretch but the background woman just sat there awkwardly smiling. Why didn't they do his stretches? Very strange. So, I'm not wild about this workout, but on the other hand, I really felt the work! I wasn't sure how abs done slowly would feel, but it was pretty intense.

After that I wanted some cardio so I pulled out a virgin -- Bosu Cardio Fusion with Rob Glick. I really liked this one! It was not super intense and really easy to follow.

I keep meaning to ask you guys how you use Fit Split. I don't know if I've ever done any of those workouts! Maybe I did a cardio one or two. I'm just not quite sure how to use it. I think I tried to look for a rotation on Cathe's site but not sure I was successful.
Old 05-03-20, 12:57 PM  
horusosiris

Happy Sunday to All

Mickey- It is an Erin Stern Program. The program is 16 weeks but we started late so we are on week 3. She is beginning a new 8- week summer challenge that begins tomorrow so we decided to join in with that challenge and resume the 16-week challenge when the 8 week challenge is over.

We are lucky and fortunate enough to have a very extensive home gym and there is very little that we can do in the gym that we cannot do at home. Oddly enough though, we do have gym memberships and I sometimes do the group classes or a Les Mills class. I do not fore see going back to the gym anytime soon, if ever. At the beginning of the pandemic shut down people wanted to come over and use our gym but we had to say no. Sometimes on the weekend friends would come over or we would go to their home gyms and workout together and have lunch and socialize. I know that some are having gym withdrawal especially because it is really difficult to find exercise equipment now.
Since so many people are home now Erin is doing a home version and gym version of the 8 week program.

ChelPA and Mickey - about 3 year ago I did a rotation that utilized all of Cathe's vintage step workouts. I did the wedding workout and liked the photos at the end. Have you ever done Fit and Firm? When I did it my husband walked by and said that it sounded as though someone was giving birth with the all of whooping. I like this workout for nostalgic reasons and the beach scene. It was also nice seeing a younger Cedie. I honestly really miss Cedie in the workouts! I remember doing Stepmax, Step Jam, Stepfit, Step Works, Step n'Motion 1. The one thing that I have noticed over the years is that Cathe really has not come up with many new step moves. She tends to do the same moves with minor tweaks. I like Cathe's step works because they are a familiar friend and I do not have to give much thought to do them but when I want more creative moves I tend to do Bento, Zieger, Goudeau and Gasper.

Bee- I have never done a rotation of the Fit Split workouts but have done all of them several times. I use them as stand-alone individual workouts. I either use the cardio sections or the weight sections. I have used the kickboxing and legs workouts together quite a bit.

Sue-As you have done- it good to listen to your body. Sometimes my mind says "you can do this" but my body says "no you can't." There are also times that my mind says you don't feel like it but your body says "you can do this". Knowing that delicate balance is good and it seems as though you have found that balance.

Stay Strong Everyone!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 01:24 PM  
Mickey12

I don’t think I ever heard of Fit and Firm. I knew of the Step in Motion ones but I never got my hands on those. I like the old ones for nostalgia too. I love seeing the old crew.

Kim
Old 05-03-20, 04:39 PM  
manleym

Horusosiris I was thinking the same thing about using 100 rep challenges as an add on to other workouts as I was doing it. It's only about 5 minutes, so would be super easy to do.

And I totally have gym envy!! I LOVE the fact that you have such an extensive gym your friends were asking to come over and workout! Our dream is to build a 2nd story above our garage to use as a workout room. It could be a multi-purpose room with a full bath so if we ever sell the next family could use it as they want. But it is only a dream for right now. We spent 2 years remodeling both inside and outside of our house, so it will be awhile before we undergo any major remodels again. We've talked about turning our sunroom into a workout room, but I love sitting in here (like right now) looking over our creek, relaxing, and just enjoying the day. But I would LOVE to have a workout room, basement, fully loaded and equipped.

BTW, how was Amy's Rumble? Something I need to add to my wish list?

Kim I bought quite a few of Amy's workouts from EBay - very reasonable prices.

That's great news about Perfect 30! It will give us something to look forward to!

ChelePa I'm so glad you were able to work out on your deck. How wonderful and relaxing at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Thank you, everyone, for keeping this thread alive. I can’t say enough how it has helped me keep a positive focus during the pandemic. I have gained cardio endurance and leg strength from doing so many Cathe workouts and my knee has stopped hurting because my quads are stronger. Having something to focus on, like what workout to tackle or wondering how you all are doing, continues to keep me sane. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Kim
Well said, Kim! I completely and totally agree!

Hugs and waves to you all! I hope you are all having a wonderful day!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 06:42 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Happy Sunday all!!!

Manleym, thanks for the running info....that's what I fear, I'd get started and be crippled by knee/ankle/foot issues! And DREADMILL, hah hah hah!!!

I actually used to run as a youngster...track, the 2-mile. I liked distance running over sprinting! But eventually, dancing took over and things like running and weight training were discouraged (don't get me started on the misinformation I was raised with). I think it's the draw of being outside that has me considering running right now, but then again, the weather here isn't conducive to that so much of the year, I'm not sure what I'm thinking!! I wish I could feel that high again...dancing did that for me but I haven't found anything since that quite replaces that feeling, even as much as I enjoy working out.

Horusosiris, I was thinking the same as Manleym, I'm SO JEALOUS of your awesome gym setup that it sounds like you have!!

Momofcha, overdoing it tends to sneak up on me and usually when I realize I'm there, it's too late. Massive kudos to you for being smart and self-aware enough to know better before that happens!!

ChelePA, your deck must be wonderful to work out on. Your own little paradise!! And gosh, I miss spin class too, like crazy.

Kim, OMG...me too, I was perusing Amy workouts the other day because of everyone here!! I'm so easily enabled, it's awful!! And YES to what you said about keeping this thread alive...totally agree!!

Bee, yes, there are a lot of odd things about the Jari (not Jari) workout, but I just ignored them (and all his comments about the strong women that actually kinda seemed derogatory, hmph) because it is really a fantastic workout. I can let stuff go if I get out of it what I want, I guess!

Today I did Xtrain Burn Sets, the entire upper body premix which is about 80 minutes long and HOLY MOLY!!! I did have kind of a hard time figuring out the appropriate weights to use, plus sometimes, I'd find things would feel too light to get the intended effect, but jumping to the next increment at 5 pounds up was just way too much and an injury waiting to happen. I'm not sure how to remedy that apart from just continuing to add reps at the lower weight and/or do fewer reps at the higher weight until I'm where I need to be. Her recommendation for a notebook on this one is really something I need to do though, for sure!!

I think tomorrow will be To the Max, maybe the extreme premix...we'll see.

Stay fierce, my lovely strong friends!!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 07:33 PM  
Mickey12

I did some push mowing today, went to Manning’s Farm (ChelePA ) for ice cream, then went for a walk with my husband. It was an absolutely perfect day in our area today.

I ended up getting 3 Amy Bento workouts from Mary today (last day of the sale!) and then I bought 3 Amy Dixon workouts too. So, girls, have you tried Amy Dixon’s Breathless Body workouts? They’re cardio focused, so might not appeal to the serious weight workout warriors here, but I like them and I think they’re really challenging. She has done other workouts, like the Women’s Health produced ones, but her Breathless Body ones are a lot tougher. Sooooo, just throwing out there another instructor you might want to explore.... not that I’m enabling or anything.

Thanks Kittybug for letting me know what you have on tap next. Maybe I will do Burn sets or To the Max tomorrow.

Kim
Old 05-04-20, 05:08 AM  
ChelePA

[QUOTE=Mickey12;2872317]I did some push mowing today, went to Manning’s Farm (ChelePA ) for ice cream, then went for a walk with my husband. It was an absolutely perfect day
Kim[/QUOTE

We were at the farm Saturday night. Chocolate shakes. We love that they use the homemade chocolate milk to make them. Yummy!!!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-20, 08:36 AM  
momofcha

Manley- your workout dream sounds divine! We are about 2 years into our home projects and this year was the new floors and now we’re updating the backyard and deck. It’s going to be amazing. Last step is the master bath - but that is going to be a complete gut job, so I’m saving for it

Today was Ice - chiseled Upper Body. I couldn’t help thinking while doing it - has it ever been suggested on the Cathe forums to have a “no music” option? One thing I’ve realized by doing this Cathe focus is just how horrible the music is. I really wish I could play my own stuff

Regina- yes, your home gym sounds amazing. I can’t believe how stores have no equipment! I went to Target yesterday and went by the fitness stuff - there was absolutely nothing!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and great start to the week!

Oh and thanks to you all, I just found Amy’s SLO Mo challenge on Amazon. Must have it!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
analysis paralysis, cathe, cathe rotation, cathe rotation checkin, cathe rotations, too many choices, too many options, variety, watulan check-in