Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-16, 09:05 PM  
pricek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Just an FYI from my personal experience. Start out with MCT oil very slowly! I had a recipe for a smoothie that called for just a teaspoon of it, and I felt nauseous afterwards.
That nausea like when you take an extra strength vitamin on an empty stomach
However, now that I'm more used to it, I love it! You can also use coconut oil in place of MCT oil.
Agreed!! It made me very nauseous and slightly dizzy.
Old 04-20-16, 01:21 AM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Just an FYI from my personal experience. Start out with MCT oil very slowly! I had a recipe for a smoothie that called for just a teaspoon of it, and I felt nauseous afterwards.
That nausea like when you take an extra strength vitamin on an empty stomach
However, now that I'm more used to it, I love it! You can also use coconut oil in place of MCT oil.
Yes, if using MCT oil or coconut oil, start small and work your way up. Some people are quite sensitive to coconut - I'm one of those. For awhile late in my pregnancy I was using whey protein to add some extra calories for baby, and I was mixing it with coconut milk because I'm a little dairy sensitive. Major stomach cramps after doing that for a few days in a row! I've also gone through periods where I've added coconut oil to my tea, and it's just a really good idea to start small, like for me a teaspoon is a good place to start, otherwise I feel sick to my stomach the first time or two. Honestly, I think if I were to go that route again, and I really should, I'd just use butter. My body just tolerates it better.

My DH drinks bulletproof coffee daily, either with MCT oil or butter. Currently he's doing the ketogenic thing and he says that once you're past the cravings period, then it really helps with brain clarity, as well as energy and endurance during exercise/ physical labor. Fat also doesn't spike blood sugar, which is why bulletproof coffee is supposed to keep you feeling full longer. I can see how it might be a good solution to exercising on an empty stomach... I never could do that and was always a terrible morning exerciser for that reason.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Old 04-20-16, 02:46 PM  
Linda KH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I have IBS and have to watch certain things I take. I drink 4 oz of strong coffee and eat about 1 Tbsp of natural peanut butter before my hard morning workouts and that has been working well. I was doing things on an empty stomach or just with the coffee, but amazing what the PB has done! Sometimes I sub in a 100 calorie snack pack of almonds to save a few calories.
I'm with you Tugger - I need to have easy-to-digest food before I work out. I also do a spoonful of peanut butter and a cup of coffee before I work out. If it's going to be very long or cardio-intensive (like my long weekend runs), I'll also have a toasted Eggo waffle. Since it's highly processed it's really easy to digest but still has carbs.
Old 04-20-16, 04:11 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I have read pros and cons regarding MCT vs Coconut Oil. Both sound great although Coconut has Long Chain Triglycerides too whereas Medium Tris are supposed to be better for energy, fat burning and digestion.

Any comments on one vs the other? I tried a teaspoon of Coconut oil in my coffee today and it was great. I must admit I felt more energy. Too soon to tell for any fat burning/weight loss affects but I'm going to keep trying this and see what happens.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
Old 04-20-16, 04:45 PM  
gladgirl

I enjoy BP coffee. I tried the peanut butter before a workout (just a tablespoon) and got totally nauseated and couldn't finish my workout. But, to be fair to PB, I did not wait very long after eating it to actually do the workout.

As far as the MCT vs coconut oil, it is my understanding the coconut oil is a fine alternative to straight MCT oil because coconut oil has mct in it, just not as concentrated in strength as pure mct oil.
Old 04-22-16, 04:46 AM  
pgun3

What MCT oil does everyone use? Would love to know.
Old 04-22-16, 06:14 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

I agree with taking it slowly and very small amount and make sure to stay close to a bathroom as well.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
Old 04-22-16, 07:20 AM  
Buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgun3 View Post
Pgun3, I use the NOW brand, it's cheap and the only one available at my local health food store. It lasts forever too!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-22-16, 07:23 AM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgun3 View Post
NOW brand
Old 04-22-16, 08:52 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Never heard of MCT oil but I use coconut oil in my coffee. More energy, less cravings and I feel full longer.....

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Closed Thread