Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-15, 01:07 PM  
Linda KH
VF Supporter

I'll just add to the Sharaz love - you look great!

I am excited to see what Sagi and Autumn come out with. I like Sagi and enjoyed Body Beast. I was "OK" with 21 Day Fix Extreme. The main workous were OK, but I always skip the random "pilates" and "yoga" workouts they always seem to tack on to these systems. I hope this new system is focused on the strength and cardio elements, which is what these instructors excel at. Not every system needs to include everything.
Old 07-21-15, 10:36 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda KH View Post
I'll just add to the Sharaz love - you look great!

I am excited to see what Sagi and Autumn come out with. I like Sagi and enjoyed Body Beast. I was "OK" with 21 Day Fix Extreme. The main workous were OK, but I always skip the random "pilates" and "yoga" workouts they always seem to tack on to these systems. I hope this new system is focused on the strength and cardio elements, which is what these instructors excel at. Not every system needs to include everything.
LOL. I always ignore the yoga workouts (or else I try them once, and then I'm always sorry). I'm a vidiot-yogi: I have a zillion yoga DVDs and go to live classes. BUT I understand that they want to make the systems self-sufficient ... non-vidiots could be understandably upset if told that they should go to a yoga class or purchase a separate yoga or stretching DVD, and I think it is important to include that aspect in a rotation.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 10:39 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
Do we know that Sagi and Autumn will each do separate workouts or might they team teach?
I thought the clip/ad thingie implied that Sagi is the hammer, and Autumn's the chisel, and I had the impression there would be "hammer workouts" and "chisel workouts". But I could definitely be wrong.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 11:31 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I thought the clip/ad thingie implied that Sagi is the hammer, and Autumn's the chisel, and I had the impression there would be "hammer workouts" and "chisel workouts". But I could definitely be wrong.
I agree. I think Sagi will focus on the building - high weight, low reps; while Autumn's workouts are more like P90X - and 21DF - lighter weights, higher reps with a cardio component built in.

My speculation only, but that's what I'm thinking.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 11:36 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda KH View Post
The main workous were OK, but I always skip the random "pilates" and "yoga" workouts they always seem to tack on to these systems. I hope this new system is focused on the strength and cardio elements, which is what these instructors excel at. Not every system needs to include everything.
I'm OK with leaving off a separate yoga/long stretch workout as long as there's a decent stretch after the main workout. My ideal is a short targeted stretch after every workout and a longer stretch option (10-15 minutes) included in the program somewhere, ideally on each disc. I thought Beachbody and Tony Horton did a great job with P90X3 Dynamix as a great athletic stretch/recovery/movement workout. Body Beast should NOT be the template, as those post-workout stretches were pitifully short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I hope so - two-instructor can be really awkward. Then again, we could have those silly Firm-style handoffs to look forward to: remember the Susan/Kai "tah-dah!" hand flourishes as they traded leads in Volume 4?

Last edited by athompson10; 07-21-15 at 11:37 AM. Reason: clarity
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 02:38 PM  
enduranceron

I see from BJ Gaddour's latest Instagram post that Men's Health is doing a "Cook & Chisel" thing too...guess this Chisel thing is the new catch phrase...

bjgaddour#BTS filming at CrossFit ADORATION in Bethlehem, PA for the "chisel" portion of the new @menshealthmag COOK & CHISEL program in partnership with @fitmencook! Stay tuned as it launches on August 1st! #CookAndChisel #Fitness #InstaFit #Workout #Nutrition #FatLoss #��

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." - Thomas Carlyle

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Ghandi
enduranceron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-15, 03:21 PM  
momofcha

Today was Hammer & Chisel - Total Body Chisel - with Autumn. I so wanted to love this, but.... It is extremely repetitive and there is so much instruction! I'm guessing the target audience is 21DF'ers who they are trying to nudge into the heavy lifting..... She does supersets - it's 3 moves, repeated 3 times and then you do another sequence, and then another - for 3 total rounds. Notice a theme here? The moves are very basic - squats, chest press, lat pulls, curtsy lunges on step (or floor), incline biceps, dips, lunges, reverse grip rows and the last move is completely escaping me.

I wanted to love this, but I really didn't. I also previewed Sagi's and it looks like an accident waiting to happen. You do your move, focusing on the eccentric (slowly lowering for a count of 3) - I think you did 10 or 12 reps, and then you lift "as fast as you can" for 10 reps I think. So if you're doing the first part of the move you need to lift as heavy as you can, immediately dropping the weight and going much lighter and then speed lifting. It just seems strange.

Old 10-23-15, 03:57 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
Today was Hammer & Chisel - Total Body Chisel - with Autumn. I so wanted to love this, but.... It is extremely repetitive and there is so much instruction! I'm guessing the target audience is 21DF'ers who they are trying to nudge into the heavy lifting..... She does supersets - it's 3 moves, repeated 3 times and then you do another sequence, and then another - for 3 total rounds. Notice a theme here? The moves are very basic - squats, chest press, lat pulls, curtsy lunges on step (or floor), incline biceps, dips, lunges, reverse grip rows and the last move is completely escaping me.

I wanted to love this, but I really didn't. I also previewed Sagi's and it looks like an accident waiting to happen. You do your move, focusing on the eccentric (slowly lowering for a count of 3) - I think you did 10 or 12 reps, and then you lift "as fast as you can" for 10 reps I think. So if you're doing the first part of the move you need to lift as heavy as you can, immediately dropping the weight and going much lighter and then speed lifting. It just seems strange.
Sue-I was looking forward to Hammer and Chisel but now you are making me think about it. I do not like workouts with a ton of instruction because once you do the workout once or twice all of that instruction gets old quick. The lifting method that you are describing in Sagi's workout we used to do with power lifting training.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-15, 04:01 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
Sue-I was looking forward to Hammer and Chisel but now you are making me think about it. I do not like workouts with a ton of instruction because once you do the workout once or twice all of that instruction gets old quick. The lifting method that you are describing in Sagi's workout we used to do with power lifting training.
I will reserve purchasing judgment until I see how the whole system fits in to one another... Is there a list of all the workouts yet?

Old 10-23-15, 04:53 PM  
Hazel Porter

So these are available now?

Tags
autumn calabrese, body beast 2, hammer and chisel, power lifting, sagi kalev