Old 12-23-14, 10:49 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly G View Post
I found this pdf off Jill Miller about the Nauli Kriya move and other ab moves:

http://www.adishesha.com/a70/Fit-Yoga-Article-sm.pdf
Thank you!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 11:08 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I was going to suggest a Bellicon! ;-) But, my immediate thought was about food, too!

Pam

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 11:11 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Cancel gravity. That should do it.

Seriously, if you have some loose skin from pregnancies, it is going to hang when you are horizontal. I don't know that there is any answer to that other than a tummy tuck.

I have loose skin, and some subcutaneous fat, and it hangs. Very unattractive. However, since I only spend maybe 2 minutes a day in plank position, and that in the privacy of my own home, I don't worry about it.

But I do understand what it's like when something like that is bugging you, for sure. Good luck with it.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 11:22 AM  
twinkletoes

So it's just loose skin? But then why is it flat when I'm standing?

I agree though, Susan, I'm not gonna stress too much over it. I'll do the exercises in the PDF that Nelly posted and get a little stricter with my eating habits (which I've been doing lately anyway).
Old 12-23-14, 11:56 AM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! When I'm standing or lying on my back, my stomach is flat. It's just the plank move where it looks awful.
Who else sees it from that position? No one!

I've looked at myself in the mirror from the side when I've done planks and I look okay. But looking between my arms in the direction of my feet - gross! When I stand up, all is good. I'm 56, have had two babies now in their 20's, and weigh 105. It's loose skin and has nothing to do with muscle tone. The same thing applies to the front of my thighs when I'm in down dog. Thank goodness no one else sees what I do.
Old 12-23-14, 11:59 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

I saw something really scary: stood with my back to a mirror in a forward bend and looked at my upside down face between my legs. Horrors !
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 12:12 PM  
Linda KH
VF Supporter

I have the same issue. My stomach is flat when on my back and standing, but my abdominals tend to pooch out when in plank. It also happens sometimes when I'm doing situps or crunches. I think it may have to do with a week transverse muscle, since that is what is working to hold the abs in.

When I notice this happening I take a step back in my plank work - either do them on my knees or elevated. I focus on using my transverse to hold my abs flat. When you are successful doing it in an easier variation, you can move on to regular planks.

Pilates is also good for this, since they focus a lot on holding your abs flat as you do the work.

ETA: This is definitely NOT loose skin on me - the skin is tight against the muscle as it bulges out. It is also not diastis recti, as its the entire abs that pooch out, and not just the center portion.
Old 12-23-14, 12:15 PM  
twinkletoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda KH View Post
I have the same issue. My stomach is flat when on my back and standing, but my abdominals tend to pooch out when in plank. It also happens sometimes when I'm doing situps or crunches. I think it may have to do with a week transverse muscle, since that is what is working to hold the abs in.

When I notice this happening I take a step back in my plank work - either do them on my knees or elevated. I focus on using my transverse to hold my abs flat. When you are successful doing it in an easier variation, you can move on to regular planks.

Pilates is also good for this, since they focus a lot on holding your abs flat as you do the work.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!
Old 12-23-14, 12:27 PM  
mandie123

yep, I just don't look down
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 12:48 PM  
antbuko

Just don't look.

Tags
abdominals, body acceptance, body dysmorphia, bread, bread crumbs, loaf of bread, nauli, planks, pooch