Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-14, 08:08 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

About once per week I use the machines at the gym to move around my heavy weights. Other than that, for lower body I rely on walking, lower body Pilates, and during home workout videos I stick with 8 to 10 pound dumbbells for squats, deadlifts or lunging type exercises. In my heavy lifting days my legs were HUGE (as were my arms) and I just don't want to have that going on anymore.

All these pros are always saying "don't worry, women don't bulk" and it's BS - some of us DO bulk even when we have low fat levels, which I did when I was younger and lifting heavily on a regular basis.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 08:52 AM  
bubbles76

I guess you could say I lift heavy for me -- 25 pound dumbbells in each hand for lower body. I wish I could go heavier, but I don't have the funds to buy more dumbbells or a barbell set . I am a hard gainer with lower body. Basically for upper body I just need to do pushups to show nice arm definition, but I have to really work hard on lower body to show definition.

I am toning up nicely, but I don't know if it's strictly the weights, the added plyo, going back to Cathe strength workouts, adding more HIIT and metabolic training, or what. I suppose I could try two days of heavy and one day of bodyweight lower body training per week. Anyone have success with that?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 09:07 AM  
mle777

I do. I'm short (5'2") and they make my legs bigger but I fear not being able to get around as I age, so I continue to work to add muscle to my legs. I guess, I'm willing to set some of my vanity to the side in hopes that I'll still be able to get up and down from a seat (aka toilet/bed/whatever) as I age. DH and I also have dreams of hiking the national parks when we retire, so I want to make sure that I'm strong enough to live our dreams.

ETA - Not saying that anyone that chooses to work for smaller legs is vain. We all have to do what is right for our personal goals. I just couldn't think of a better word to use.

ETA (again) - I do still incorporate pilates, yoga, barre workouts in to my rotation b/c I enjoy them, but I don't shy away from heavy weights anymore.

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 09:15 AM  
Chomper

I do only heavy weights now and for quite a while. I consider Cathe lower body workouts medium weight high reps, and do them as a treat sometimes because I find them fun. I am limited in how heavy I can go in my paper programs because I am a home exerciser. I have select techs up to 52.5 lbs but they are so bulky it is impossible to use them for a lot of exercises. So I am slowly buying regular dumbbells. Recently bought a 40 lb one. I have a Troy lite barbell and about 80 lbs of weight plates but no rack so that is limited too. I have been doing front squats going as deep as possible. I do have a 20 lb Cathe brand weight vest, but the seams are falling apart from taking it off and putting it back on so many times. I patched it up with duct tape, and don't use it very often because I like to superset and it would be a hassle. So, I try to use exercises that don't require heavy heavy weights like rear-elevated split squats, strap assisted or eccentric pistol squats, side lunges, 1-led Romanian dead lifts, hamstring roll outs on stability ball, etc.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 09:24 AM  
LoveVA

I'm going for both strength and vanity and I've found that the right combination (for strength + shape) for me has become Jari Love, Classic Firms, Tonique and BBL. I've gotten much stronger in my lower body yet I'm also avoiding bulk, which is what was happening to me when I used to do a lot of Cathe.

Compared to what others are lifting for, say, Body Beast, I'm not lifting heavy. I'm about where Pat58 is with weights for the lower body. For me, that's heavier than I had been using in the past plus I'm doing strength training more frequently during the week, especially since I've stopped during barre and TA and started doing The Firm. I'm getting stronger in my lower body yet I'm smaller than ever (from a size 6/8 to a size 2/4) with a nice shape to my legs (according to hubby).
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 09:46 AM  
MARIKA

It's funny I use 15# db's for alot of lower body work but I don't consider that heavy weight work. I think using a weight that barely lets you do 12 reps would be considered heavy weight work, JM2C!
Old 09-25-14, 09:56 AM  
Linda KH
VF Supporter

I rotate heavy, medium, and light days at the gym - between 45 and 65 pounds on the squat bar (65 is pretty heavy for me!!).

I do my gym workouts twice a week, and one extra leg workout at home - usually a non- (or low-) weighted ballet-type workout to work on some of the smaller muscles.

I am actively trying to increase the size of my glutes, but I guess I just don't "bulk" as much as I'd like .
Old 09-25-14, 10:06 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Yes! I still lift heavy for lower body, because at my age, it's more important to be able to climb stairs or get off the john than wear a string bikini. People with more muscle also live longer.
*cackle*
yup

there is that aspect!

mom just got diagnosed with osteopenia (sp?)
so it's heavy weights for me now!
Old 09-25-14, 10:35 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
It's funny I use 15# db's for alot of lower body work but I don't consider that heavy weight work. I think using a weight that barely lets you do 12 reps would be considered heavy weight work, JM2C!
That's a good point. What is considered heavy, medium, and light? And I guess that would include sets. If you can lift between 6-8 reps for 3 sets, is that considered heavy?

Man, I want a barbell set so bad! I do worry if I had one I would injure myself though. I have chronic hip issues, and I think I would go too heavy. But maybe not.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 10:40 AM  
Linda KH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
That's a good point. What is considered heavy, medium, and light? And I guess that would include sets. If you can lift between 6-8 reps for 3 sets, is that considered heavy?

Man, I want a barbell set so bad! I do worry if I had one I would injure myself though. I have chronic hip issues, and I think I would go too heavy. But maybe not.
I always do three sets at the gym. Heavy days I do 8 reps per set, medium I do 14, and light days I do 20. I try to go heavy enough that I can barely do my last rep (with good form, of course!).

Tags
heavy lifting, lower body