Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-20, 10:50 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Happy Mother’s Day!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-20, 06:57 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s offerings, a recovery day of sorts for me:
~Neighbourhood walk - It was warm & sunny, no jacket required
~Ellen’s Yoga Tone - This is perfect for a gentle day, stretchy with a little weight work

Margot - Yes, I suppose it seems more manly to push a vacuum around than move lamps & such to dust, lol. I hope your knee continues to improve, sounds like you’re doing all the right things. Weak glutes have contributed to my low back issues in the past. My PT says it’s a common thing for women to have weak glutes. I was doing more Pilates & barre glute work for a while & I've slacked off again, time to get back at it.

Waves to all!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 05-10-20, 08:47 PM  
cyana

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers....whether to human critters or those of the four-legged variety - or all of the above.

I went out for a walk today. I got out bright and early while it was still a bit cool, but nice and sunny. I'd intended to do weights this afternoon, but ended up taking a much-needed nap, as the feline was a major pain in the rear last night and I'd only had about 4 hours of sleep.

Pam and Margot - thanks for the kind thoughts for my brother. There have been a number of complications, and a new one popped up yesterday. And of course, this is all made more complicated by the hospitals being on lock-down (no visitors - which includes family). Hoping for better news tomorrow.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-20, 08:16 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! I hope everyone had a happy Mother's Day.

Saturday I Zoomed the Understanding the Vagus Nerve workshop. I felt so bad for the presenter with all the technical difficulties, but it finally got rolling 30 minutes late. We had no time for the asana she intended to present, but we did a mudra meditation and some breathing exercises including deep diaphragmatic breathing. I recommend reading about the vagus nerve, it affects so much of what we are and when it's out of whack the effects can be serious.

Sunday I enjoyed a wonderful long birding hike with my son, at a wildlife management area. We saw oodles of birds! I'm so sore from walking almost 12,000 steps, far beyond my norm.

I'll catch up later -
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-20, 08:32 AM  
sherry7899

Good morning!

I took a rest day Saturday since I had already done five days of cardio/yoga.

Sunday:
Soul Sweat with Maria-Accessing the Internal 70 minutes (last ten are yoga)
Yoga Upload-morning stretch-15 minutes

Monday:
I am tired with cranky knees today, so I did:
Soul Sweat (commercial dvd) Quick Sweat 30 minutes, and the 15 minute stretch afterwards. Hopefully I will be up for more tomorrow.

I hope everyone has a good day. I will try to post later. My sleep has been lousy and I'm just not chatty....

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-20, 02:48 PM  
Margot

Hello everyone!

Today was:
- Jessica Smith Cardio (seated)
- BG Abs #1 and Booty #2
- Jessica Valant Inner Thighs (YT)
- Adriene For Upper Back
- LH Zoom Class this evening

Pam - I was thinking about you today, as I've been trying out different brands of Canadian maple syrups. Is it something you use a lot? I was wondering if you have a favourite brand, if you do?

Cyana - Hope you hear some positive news today on your brother. It must be very hard for you all. ((Hugs))

Pat - It sounds as though you got some good information from the workshop, despite the technical difficulties. Your birding walk sounds wonderful. I'm so glad you were able to spend time with your son on Mother's Day.

Sherry - So sorry to hear your knees are bothering you. Hope you feel better today. I have had times lately when I just want to withdraw from the outside world, so I understand you not feeling chatty. ((Hugs))

Waves to all!
Old 05-11-20, 11:05 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s workouts:
~Taught Essentrics on Zoom
~Neighbourhood walk
~Neck stretches & yin poses

Margot - I usually buy my maple syrup at Costco, it’s from The Maple Treat Corporation. Right now I have some in the fridge from Canadian Heritage. I can’t say there’s a lot of difference but I haven’t really thought about it TBH. Do you find a difference between the brands you’ve tried? I don’t use a lot of it, we occasionally have pancakes and I like to put a little in a salad vinaigrette. I do use it sometimes in baking as well. DH likes it on ice cream.

Cyana - I hope you get some good news about your brother.

Sherry - I totally get not feeling chatty! (((Hugs))) & hope you can sleep tonight.

Pat - Yes the vagus nerve is interesting. I was reading article about it that mentioned research into a possible connection between vagal fibers in the gut, gut bacteria, and mood & anxiety disorders. Very interesting stuff! My tampon arrived today, lol. It’s awesome & I think I’ll get lots of use out if it.

Waves to all!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 05-12-20, 08:40 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! I had a frumpy day at work but it was nice out when I left, so I made myself go for a walk at the beach. i saw a huge horseshoe crab shell and would have brought it home for the garden, but some kids smashed it. I also stretched my back out with my own yoga, and inverted.

Cyana I am so sorry to have missed the bad news about your brother. I've been guilty of skimming on some days. Has there been any improvement yet? The complications sound very concerning - and I'm sorry the family cannot visit.

I like radishes sliced or cut in quarters to add to a stir fry, and when the leaves are fresh I like to toss some in a salad.

How is your knee feeling Margot? I found out in PT last year that weak glutes are the cause of many evils. My PT had me do a lot of exercises with a hip band and that helped a lot. Thank you for the feedback on The Untethered Soul. Hearing how everyone is besieged with monkey thoughts from their "inner roommate" is somewhat validating. Have you had any luck getting your roommate to take a break?

Pam I bought a jug of that syrup at Costco. It's so expensive in regular stores, for a tiny amount. I hope you enjoy your tampon!
Old 05-12-20, 08:48 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

So the vagus nerve workshop was very interesting. She presented a lot about the fight or flight responses that stem from it, sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems, how emotions, stress, fear, joy, just about everything stems from it.

One of my biggest takeaways is that it is responsible for the sensitivities in our hands, mouth and face. Calming the vagal response can help with hand to mouth addictions, including smoking, drinking and the inability to stop popping Doritos. She had a visual of a gnarly cartoon guy with humongous hands and lips.

She explained how the facial nerves and glossopharyngeal nerves can be calmed by Kaki Breathing, a cooling pranayama.

A useful mudra to enhance vagal tone during meditation is Hakini Mudra. You can meditate by touching just thumbs, just index fingers, etc., and on full fingertips touching. As you do single finger meditations you may feel your root chakra (pinkies), sacral chakra (fourth fingers), etc., turning on.

The systems that can be affected, stimulated, relieved, etc. by the vagus are mind boggling - from migraines to gut bacteria to autoimmune disease to high blood pressure to depression and on and on .....

In short - it's something to study up on.
Old 05-12-20, 10:55 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Hi girls. Still here. Still exercising and LOTS of meditation!! And also still doing Yoga. But I have really increased my meditation sit time. Some days I am very still, other days the monkey mind just races. But meditation is the best medicine for me right now.

Yesterday's Yoga was from Gaia and David Magone. He has SUCH a sweet way of instructing and also includes lots of great breath work in many of his practices. I did Cleanse & Rejuvenate Yoga Detox and it was lovely! I'm so glad he has those practices on Gaia...he is one of my all time favorite instructors.

Pat: VERY VERY interesting workshop! I have been doing a lot more reading too with my extra free time. Might as well gain more knowledge, right?

Sherry: Very special hugs and love to you girl. I know how you struggle with sleep sometimes and this whole virus thing hasn't helped with stress. Don't give up! We're with you!

Twigs: I hear you on yard work. I always get my arms scratched up and never fail to get several bruises. But my yard and flower beds are looking better and better. Just rest if you can but don't give up either!

cyana: We've STILL been having frost and freeze warnings but last night was supposed to be the last one and it still "only" got down to 33. I'm ready for a little warmth but it doesn't have to get too hot too fast. Then hubby will want to crank up the AC and I'm not ready for that. ;-)

Waves and hugs to everyone else. I'm sorry if I missed you. I hope everyone is doing well. Hang in there...things have got to get better soon.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote