Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-20, 10:37 AM  
sherry7899

If you are due for an eye exam

I am on my last pair of contact lenses (I had two left lenses rip in the past year-ugh!) and yesterday called my eye doctor's office at Pearle Vision. I found out they have reduced hours. They are closed Wednesdays, and only open 10 am to 2 pm the every other day (closed Sundays).

I called back today and the person there told me they are not allowed to do eye exams. They are considered non essential. He said he would check my records and call back. I was told that I could call back on Saturday (one year and one day after my last contact lens order because of our insurance) and he could order my contact lenses and have them shipped to my house. My prescription has not changed in four years, so I'm okay with doing that.

I don't know what happens if you have an eye emergency. I was told the doctors have not been in the store since the shelter in place started in NJ, and he is basically there to extend eye prescriptions by six months and order contact lenses.

I wanted to post in case anyone was due for an eye exam. It may differ by state, but that is what is going on in New Jersey.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 10:42 AM  
alisoncooks

My girls and I were due for annual exams in April. Theirs can be postponed, indefinitely, (they have glasses they don't wear because their vision isn't that poor) but I'll need my contacts soon. Our location called and rescheduled us for mid-May...we'll see if that actually happens.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 10:43 AM  
sherry7899

Alison, I hope you can get your exam.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 10:56 AM  
bubbles76

I am due for an exam but I wear glasses. I am just waiting it out. In fact I am due for all exams -eye, annual, gyno, mammo, teeth lol! Oh and I need my ends trimmed. I am taking it all in stride
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 10:59 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I am due for an exam but I wear glasses. I am just waiting it out. In fact I am due for all exams -eye, annual, gyno, mammo, teeth lol! Oh and I need my ends trimmed. I am taking it all in stride
I know! April seemed to be our month for exams -- I had a dentist appt, oldest DD had her orthodontist appt, plus our eye exams, lol.

I'm waiting to see how May shapes up. DD is scheduled for a thyroid ultrasound at the hospital (with follow-up endocrinologist in June). These sort of appointments are scheduled months out...
Old 04-23-20, 11:00 AM  
Gams

My girl friend is stressed out about this right now. She had two pairs of glasses and broke one pair about 6 months ago. I told her a couple times to get another pair so she’d have a back up but she never did. Last week she broke her remaining pair and none of the optical offices are open. I don’t know how bad her vision is but I know she really does need glasses. All the optometry offices here have recorded messages when you call that say they are closed and if you have an emergency call 911.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 11:06 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Alison, I hope you can get your exam.
Thanks Sherry. I've been stretching out my contacts to 1.5 months (instead of 1) so I'm sitting on a couple of spares, if needed. But my prescription hasn't changed in ages -- I'd be glad if they can just renew me and let me go about my business! (I pay out of pocket for all my vision stuff...)
Old 04-23-20, 11:18 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I had my eye exam just before the shutdown, but I never was able to order new glasses and I can really use them! The office said they will do contacts by mail order (if you've already been fitted) and have them shipped to your house. If anyone is due for an exam, the doctor would extend the prescription on a case by case basis.

I'm sure a true emergency will be handled somehow. If they can't do it in their office, they'll refer you to the appropriate facility.
Old 04-23-20, 11:45 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I went for my eye exam in January thankfully. I did get a text from my opthalmologist's office saying they are open and taking precautions for their patients. There were also doing televisits. I am due in April for gyno and mammo but I can put that off a little while but I'd feel uncomfortable if it goes more than 3 months.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 11:56 AM  
BunnyHop

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm mostly feeling lucky that I managed to get my yearly OBGYN checkup done and out of the way.

I do have a dental appointment next week, they're open, but I'm not sure how their procedures have changed. If they wind up calling to cancel I'll totally understand it.

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19