Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-20, 05:01 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I want to start a new thread for May but am not up to it today! I lost my job Thursday. Technically they fired me, supposedly because several people from several departments are unwilling to work with me because they don't like the way I interact with them. They're giving me the option to resign, with two months severance and the month of paid time off I hadn't used. I have 3 weeks to decide. I did call an attorney to talk to her about the situation and at the very least, have her look over the paperwork.

It's been really tough. I've been there 16 years and honestly even if there was an issue, this isn't how it's supposed to be handled. I'm guessing it has to do with the new director. She's hired someone who was meant to be my manager and only has 6 years experience in the field. I bet they're even paying her less.

In a way it's good timing because there likely are or will be lots of jobs for people with experience in online ed. At the same time. I'm guessing not a lot of people will be hiring, plus life is so stressful already!

I went hiking/trail running today and that felt really good.

Hope you all are well and I'll see you on next month's thread!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 06:29 PM  
Vantreesta

Oh, Pratima, I'm so sorry about your job! I know you haven't been happy with it but that's smthg you want to end on your own terms and decision, not theirs. And it definitely sounds like an excuse. If coworkers had a problem with you, it would have come up before now in the 16 years you've been there. That is just so stressful. I'm glad you're talking to an attorney so you can make the best move for yourself under the circumstances. Praying you will find a new job soon.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 11:30 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Pratima, that's just awful. I don't understand how workplaces can treat employees so poorly. I hope something works out. I know my kids' school system could use someone with online education experience. It's been a mess!

I realize it's already May 6, but I can't think of anything for a new thread either. Last week wasn't the greatest--I got a bad infection under my fingernail, and was painful and nasty. The problem with washing your hands so much--dry cracked skin is ripe for infection. It's almost better now. So last week I only ran 3 times and nothing else. This week is a little better, picking back up in week 3 of Hammer and Chisel and getting back to some yoga.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 03:34 PM  
Vantreesta

Pratima, how are you doing? Did the attorney help in making a decision?

Alison, ouch on the fingernail infection! I hear you on the dry skin. We haven't gone many places so no overuse of hand sanitizer but it's just so dry here. I've been putting even more vaseline on my hands at bedtime than I do at home and still my hands are dry the next day.

I'm heading home on Monday. We took a load of things to Goodwill today. Then we planted the rocks we painted for my mom. It is bloody hot out there!! 109 here in the middle of the desert right now.

I vote we just use this thread till June. We're such a small group now maybe we should do a season thread? So June-August for summer?

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 05-10-20, 02:29 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

A seasonal thread works for me. I'm going to be home for at least May, probably June, so I should be able to keep up.

I finished week 3 of Hammer & Chisel this week after taking last week off. I like the workouts, but Chisel bugs me so much with all her "I know you want to quit but these guys [referring to the cast] didn't quit and look at them" style talk. I like Hammer so much better, but I'm going to keep going with the whole thing.

We strayed from C25K because my friend wanted to do a virtual 4-miler race today, so we upped the mileage during our weekday runs, added an extra run, and then ran 4 miles this morning. I've been sitting in the backyard for quite some time now and I can't seem to get up! It's actually pretty cold here for May, but the sun is nice.

I did yoga once this week. I really want to work that back in next. It helps so much in these crazy times.

Vantreesta: Safe travels home. And a big hug to both you and Pratima. I'm sure today isn't easy.

Alison
Old 05-12-20, 06:42 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I changed my mind--I can't take Hammer & Chisel anymore. So DD and I created a backyard bootcamp, at least for the few days we get that aren't too cold or too hot. We put together 12 exercises, 1:00 work, :45 rest, repeat the whole thing.

I still can't seem to get up 30 minutes earlier for yoga like I had been doing. I need to though, because I'm feeling it in my body.

Happy Tuesday!
Old 05-13-20, 06:09 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I tried to change the title of this thread but it's too old. Oh well!

I did talk to an attorney and he said the resignation agreement I have is decent. He did suggest I talked to a colleague of his about my employee stock so I'll do that next and then hopefully get this all sorted out. I also applied for unemployment. Benefits are currently pretty high here--up to $840/week, so hopefully i can get that for a little while.

The governor of AZ decided yesterday to let the "stay at home" order expire Friday. Salons and restaurants had already started opening up as they were allowed to after 4/30. Now gyms and public pools can too! I'm not planning to do anything differently.

The big thing is that DD's gym is opening up and of course she REALLY wants to go back to gymnastics. I'm very wary and yet know we can't live like this forever. I can't decide what to do and it was literally keeping me up last night.

I finally got my resume together and applied for one position today and it took forever. I had to upload resume and cover letter and then go through page after page of information. Fortunately some of it auto-filled from the resume! And this was only a contract position. Ugh.

I should be kicking up my workouts but the heat is making that tough! I am getting the kids up at 7:30 and we're walking at least a mile 5 days a week. I had stopped because it was too hot to go in the evening and I couldn't do morning because I was working. I'm still using the Peloton app and doing Burn Bootcamp streaming workouts.

Bootcamp and EOS (my gym) are both opening next week. I'm going to keep my EOS account frozen and stick with the streaming Burn workouts for now.

DS was washing his hands so much in the winter the skin was literally falling off and all cracked. This salve was the only thing that helped! It is expensive but I swear two applications and it was better. It's a local friend's company.

Good to "see" both of you in here!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 07:39 AM  
Vantreesta

I made it home yesterday. Feeling very tired and not up for talking. Looking forward to resuming normal walks.

Old 05-14-20, 09:12 PM  
Vantreesta

Three walks today finally, although none were very long or fast. Much nicer weather than AZ, although it was 71 this afternoon and we were both still hot. I watched TV all day, including a 1987 Twins game where they won the ALCS to secure their spot on the World Series. I unloaded the car but didn't unpack much and I crocheted some.

Old 05-17-20, 01:00 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: Glad you got home and were able to get out for walks. I like watching the old sports games too.

Pratima: I don't know what I'd do in your position with DD. Everything is still cancelled here until June 10, but a few things possibly can start opening the end of May. All school activities and things on school grounds are cancelled through the whole summer, but the county parks might still open. So we still don't know if soccer will happen this summer for DD or even this fall. The other one is moving to her apartment in Pittsburgh July 1, so I'm going to have to hope she makes smart decisions! Not sure how confident I am on that. But she's old enough that I can't make her stay here, which she REALLY doesn't want to do.

Me: It's getting rough. I feel bad saying that because nothing major has happened to us other than the cancellations and stay-at-home orders, but we all are having meltdowns left and right.

Fitness-wise the week was pretty good. We set up our backyard bootcamp Mon, Wed, and Fri, and it was fun. Then I ran 3 miles Tu and Th and 3.75 miles this morning. I also did PY4H quickie one day and Earth Body Yoga one day. I tried to do one of Eoin's Stay OM Yoga's yesterday, but I couldn't get into it, so it lasted about 15 minutes. I don't think it was the right flow for my mood.