Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-15, 02:02 PM  
Sharaz

rhbrand - Good! I got my copy on trade a while ago.

So, whoever traded with me...Thank you very much
Old 07-26-15, 02:04 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
Sharaz, I love Slo-Mo haven't done it in forever. My question is the thinking of unicorns is not good? That's my problem!Also I saw these on you tube for those who don't have them. Think I'll do legs next week, missing heavy work since finishing Beast.
hehehe Marika

I zone out completely when I working out. Is business time for me If I don't concentrate in the specific muscle I am working other muscles can take over. At my new gym people though I was unfriendly bc I am serious and don't look to anyone while lifting. Funny, bc I am an extrovert and very social. They got me eventually.

Let us know how it goes with Slo-Mo next week.
Old 07-26-15, 02:06 PM  
Sharaz

Here are the gloves that I use for heavy lifting. I use them mostly for dead-lifting and leg day. When I am using them I put my HRM around my sports bra strap. These are perfect for Slo-Mo due to the longer time you are holding the weights during each set.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

Also, another tip is to use a lifting belt. Not olympic type, a general velcro type works.
Old 07-27-15, 12:06 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I love this one, too, and just rediscovered it in my collection! I got it in a trade awhile back but never used it. I'm going to use your suggestions, especially for that glute wrap move with the barbell...an ankle weight makes a lot more sense! I just got some 5 lb ankle weights that I might try.

Sharaz, I think you will LOVE Cathe's Slow and Heavy! I too wish there were more slow tempo lifting workouts out there. I hate the speed lifting, personally, and like to concentrate on what I'm doing rather than throwing the weights around.
Old 07-27-15, 08:11 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
I love this one, too, and just rediscovered it in my collection! I got it in a trade awhile back but never used it. I'm going to use your suggestions, especially for that glute wrap move with the barbell...an ankle weight makes a lot more sense! I just got some 5 lb ankle weights that I might try.

Sharaz, I think you will LOVE Cathe's Slow and Heavy! I too wish there were more slow tempo lifting workouts out there. I hate the speed lifting, personally, and like to concentrate on what I'm doing rather than throwing the weights around.
Yeah, 5's cut it and later on you can increase to 10's. I also wish there were more workouts like these. Can't wait to try Slow and Heavy. I also hate speed lifting. For my goals time under tension is essential.

We are on the same page eyefit, we are on the same page...
Old 07-28-15, 04:33 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Great thread! Prompted me to check out SloMo which I actually got rid of a long time ago. Good news it, the full length workouts are on YouTube which are great if you don't mind a couple commercial breaks.
I did Chest, Biceps, Triceps yesterday and it was wicked.
Going to do Legs tomorrow and will take all these great form pointers into consideration.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 08:48 PM  
Sharaz

This morning I changed Slo-Mo a bit. I used to do sumo RDL's instead of 
Jefferson Squats. Since she do that awkward movement with the feet, I kept going at a 4-4 count and finish before her each set. After looking at the video that I posted from the IFBB pro holding the kb's for 30 sec, I though the Jefferson Squat sets were perfect for this by holding the contraction at the bottom while Amy is moving the feet.

Here the new breakdown

Sumo Squats 3 x 8 ------> Sumo RDL 3 x 8 (hamstring/glute warm up set)
I used 60 not thinking about maxing out but a weight were I can perform the sets with good form following the slow tempo. RDL are tricky and the lower back can take over easily. I had looked at videos to perfect my form. Once, I fixed some issues I can feel my hammies worked. The DOMS last days and if I bent over I feel the discomfort. That's how I now that I lifted the weights with the hammies and not used momemtum.

Jefferson Squats 6 x 8 ------> Sumo Squats with b 6 x 8 .
Here is were I went butt broken mode. I used a 45 kb between my legs. When I place the kb between my legs, I concentrate in moving the weight with the glutes and inner thights. For the 6 sets, tempo and isometric hold, this was okay. I actually can sumo squat waaaay more than my RDL, but as you guys note I wanted to isolate the glutes as much as possible. Here Amy does the feet movement while holding at the bottom. The isometric hold during these sets last longer, so Sumo Squats works wonders. No cheating, holding there while my cheeks are screaming for mercy LOL

Now, I can follow her count entirely during all the exercises. Needless to say, I do the Wobble Squats feet closed - ass to the ground. My favorites exercise is the side lunge
Old 07-28-15, 08:51 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
Great thread! Prompted me to check out SloMo which I actually got rid of a long time ago. Good news it, the full length workouts are on YouTube which are great if you don't mind a couple commercial breaks.
I did Chest, Biceps, Triceps yesterday and it was wicked.
Going to do Legs tomorrow and will take all these great form pointers into consideration.
Good to know! I actually read your tread about Slo-Mo years ago when I became interested in the workout For me great workouts never get old.
Old 09-16-15, 03:48 PM  
isebelleg44

I remembered this thread, when I was looking for a leg workout out today and dusted off this dvd. I don't think I have done this workout in years. I did the workout Amy's way and matched her weight. I found some of the moves awkward and tough on the lower back. I thought I was going to cry during those Hack squats. I didn't realize that this would have such a cardio effect or else I would have let my breakfast digest a little longer!

I will have to try this again with Sharaz's modifications. Hopefully I can walk tomorrow!

Anyone have tips on improving single leg squats. I avoid these like the plague, cause I stink at them. Maybe I will just use Sharaz's tips and just stop avoiding these!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amy bento, amy bento ross, amy bento strength, slo-mo, slo-mo strength