Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-10, 02:12 PM  
kauaigirl

Location: Wisconsin. But I'll always be a Michigan girl at heart!
I've been checking Craigslist (that's where I found my Fluidity for $25!), but nothing yet. Yard sales are difficult for me because I have two young kids and hauling them in and out of the car and then keeping them corralled at the sales is almost impossible. Craigslist and thrift stores are much better options for me right now. My mom goes to garage sales constantly. I'll have to have her start looking.
Old 04-22-10, 02:30 PM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaigirl View Post
I've been checking Craigslist (that's where I found my Fluidity for $25!), but nothing yet. Yard sales are difficult for me because I have two young kids and hauling them in and out of the car and then keeping them corralled at the sales is almost impossible. Craigslist and thrift stores are much better options for me right now. My mom goes to garage sales constantly. I'll have to have her start looking.
Kauiamom: Honey, there are some dvds here. Do you want them?
Kauiagirl: Well, what are they?
Kauiamom: They are weird - something called Insanity, another that's P-57 - maybe it's named after ketchup - and another "P" one that has an "x" after it. The seller is asking $5 for each set, is that too much?

Sigh. If only. I still remember passing up a complete set of Tae Bo lives - basic and advanced. I eventually got all the advanced ones through trade, but I would think about that one for years.
Old 04-22-10, 02:38 PM  
alisoncooks

I've not had any luck with thrift stores...and with 2 little ones, we rarely leave the house on weekends (or any day, for that matter) early enough to catch yard sales at their prime.

Last weekend we had to go to a birthday party that was a couple of towns away....so we were out driving on Sat morning bright and early. I passed FOUR humongous yard sales (and b/c we were running late, I couldn't stop). I just had to turn my head and keep on driving.

It was torture!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 02:42 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
A new thrift store opened near me called *Unique* and they had dozens of workout vhs for 99 cents.
I think it's a chain cause there's one near me too (that's def part of a chain). No workouts vids worth picking up near me, unfortunately.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 02:43 PM  
jEnNnY

Not much luck here lately either. Yesterday I was at one thrift store and the only workout video they had was Denise Austin Line Dance (or some country dance video) on VHS... oh, and last week I saw the purple portion of the fanny lifter at Goodwill... it looked so sad, standing alone in the floor. As I have my own FL, I didn't buy it, of course, but I did step on it
jEnNnY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 03:39 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Today I got Mindy's "As seen on TV" sliding set.

It has been at this Goodwill for about three months. I decided today I would get it if they had it (and it was in decent shape). It was behind the counter with the "nice stuff."

So I asked to look at it. Unopened. DVD and freisbees in place with the diet book.

Marked $8.98. Told them I would get it.

They took half off.

So we will see if I actually do it. But it was pretty good for less than 5 bucks.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 03:50 PM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

I keep looking and hoping...

The best I got was a VHS of a TAE BO workout for $1.99. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'll set it out and give it a whirl.

I'm going to try to hit more rummage sales this year, and I should get my sister to keep me in mind when she does hers - she goes to them a LOT.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 06:44 PM  
BarbaraVT

Found Chalene

Turbo Jam 5 Rockin' Workouts at a Salvation Army for $1.99. I had tried the original Turbo Jam once, just didn't click with it, and left it with a VF pal. But at that price, I thought the universe was telling me to give Chalene's special brand of happy sweat another chance.

I recently picked up 3 of Gin's step workouts on 1 old video for 50 cents at a local thrift shop (I like 2 out of 3). And I've gotten some workout clothes that fit really well and are usually new, especially yoga pants. I love thrift stores and yard sales. To me, spring means cleaning house (sort of), flowers, and yard sales!

BarbaraVT
BarbaraVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 07:25 PM  
fitmommytx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraVT View Post
Turbo Jam 5 Rockin' Workouts at a Salvation Army for $1.99. I had tried the original Turbo Jam once, just didn't click with it, and left it with a VF pal. But at that price, I thought the universe was telling me to give Chalene's special brand of happy sweat another chance.
Oooohh how I love Chalene's special brand of happy sweat. I have to "get used to" other instructors because I use her stuff so much. I was supposed to go to Camp Turbo Kick in California this year, but I found out I have to have surgery in late May and won't be recovered enough to turbo kick by then

I got a fluidity bar and all three DVD's new in box for $100 off craigslist (today!) - not a steal by any means, but a decent deal. I've found random DVD's (mostly FIRM, but a few Leslies and Crunch) at TJMaxx/Marshalls/Ross and recently even found some FIRMS at Dicks Sporting Goods for less than half off. But now I am going to hit two Goodwill stores tomorrow - you guys have inspired me!

KauaiGirl - a Bosu is on my short list too. I probably would have already paid the $100 for one (I want one THAT bad) but since I found out about the surgery I've put my wish list on hold for now since I it will be some time before I can use it - don't want it sitting there teasing me while I recover! It's bad enough my new fluidity bar will only get a few weeks worth of work before I have to stop for awhile.

"Why are they smiling? This is hard!" - my 6 year old son, doing Jackie Warner's Xtreme Time Saver 30M workout with me (with his cute little 1lb weights!)
"This is not fake sweat - it's all real!" Chalene from CLX
fitmommytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 08:24 PM  
BarbaraVT

Ronda, good luck with your surgery and speedy recovery--for Chalene, that new Fluidity set, the Bosu you know you're gonna find , and life in general.

BarbaraVT
BarbaraVT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pawn shops, thrift store finds