Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-08, 08:11 PM  
deesharee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlita
Well, I've been scouring the shelves at my local thrifts in vain hoping to find a Margaret Richard. Finally, at a thrift in another town, I found "Body Shaping: The Body Electric Video Workout," from 1986 for $1. Wahoo! Is this something that's included in one of her DVDs?

I also found but didn't buy (and am kicking myself a little): Charlene Prickett's "Home Stretch" and Petra's "Cardio Sweat Factory."

Sounds like the Prickett is a good one. Anyone familiar with the Petra? There were 2 copies of it. They had TONS of workout VHS -- Ellen, Gilad, Kathy, Richard, lame obscurities, the works. Far more than in my local thrifts.

No DVDs, alas, but the clerk said they're holding back 'til after their big sale.
Oh Orlita, you should have picked up Charlene Prickett's Homestretch. It's a great 45 minute stretch video! This thread has inspired me to go to my Goodwill tomorrow to see what I can find. Awesome Idea!
deesharee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 10:21 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom
Be sure to let us know how Joan Collins is.
Joan Collins' "Personal Workout" was disappointing. There wasn't much to it. It might be ok for a senior exerciser just starting out. But I don't think VFers would go for it, even ones (like me) who like basic workouts would find there's not enough there to make you feel like you've worked out. Linda Evans' "The New You" is better. Although it might not be fair to compare the two as the emphasis in Joan's program is toning while Linda's video is more aerobic. Joan must have been in her 60's when she made this video.

I brought this video to another thrift store so someone else may get use out of it. While there I noticed they had "Fit & Firm" by Mary Hart and a Richard Simmons video, but I didn't go for them. I'll keep checking though. You never know what someone might bring in!
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 12:00 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Yesterday I picked up a Nautilus Weightloss workout (VHS) lead by Stacey Benson and it was pretty fun. I also picked up an ESPN BodyShaping Aerobic Stair Workout lead by Kendell Hogan. I really like him so I enjoyed that, except for the infomercials hawking the Stair placed at the beginning and middle of the tape. It was also only 22 minutes long which is good for a nice short, but effective workout.
I also picked up a Stacey Benson-lead VHS with the romantic name CELLULITE. I plan on doing that one later today.
I also picked up a second copy of Jane Fonda's Step and Abs (just in case something happens to my current copy) and then a JF Favorite Fat Burning Workouts tape that I have not seen before.

I do love spending 80 cents on my workouts. I tend to enjoy those much more than the $4.99 Ross ones I pick up.

Renda
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 12:10 PM  
horsemom2

JF Favorite Fat Burning Workouts is great on a rebounder!

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 12:12 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom
I also picked up a Stacey Benson-lead VHS with the romantic name CELLULITE.
Renda
LOL! That's some title!
Old 09-27-08, 01:01 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Yes, I would be concerned if I was capable of maintaining a rotation. But since I will probably only do this a few times, I am not concerned about getting too much new CELLULITE, since I am assuming that is the result of this w/o. I am hoping it involves chocolate, trashy romance novels and a comfortable recliner
Come to think of it, it is that rotation that forced me to start having to work out in the first place. Oh, well, it was only 80 cents.

Renda
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 10:21 AM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

I have donated a lot of used workout videos.. (and sent some to friends) .. but I typically find workout clothing at thrift stores, handbags and great jewelry.
Stevie

LA-Story.com (blog)

Facebook.com

Twitter.com/LAStory

Pinterest.com
Stevie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 11:06 AM  
spotted zebra

What's weird for me is sometimes I'll think of an older workout I'm curious about that's no longer sold anywhere, and then I'll spot it in a thrift store. It's happened a few times. I was curious about Idrea Lippman and sure enough a while ago I stumbled across "Great Changes" with Idrea and Carnie Wilson. Idrea took classes with Richard Simmons before she became an instructor and you can tell (but of the two I prefer Idrea). The choreography is easy to follow and low impact, with people of different shapes and sizes. It's got a nice positive vibe to it and was definitely worth the $1.25 I paid for it.
Old 10-03-08, 01:20 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

question:

which VHS do you look for when you're combing the thrift store?

for me, it's:

1) denise austin's slide workout from Bollinger (i think it came with the bollinger slide)
2) the body pump video, although i'm not even sure what the cover looks like!
3) one of the buns of steel step workouts w/tamilee (i have the 2000 one with tamilee, donna and tracy york)

i have been re-watching my old vhs videos that are not on DVD (like reebok and bodybar, kari anderson). and it brings back great memories! i like all of the step reebok Gin videos where she films it in MTV style, with all of those fit cast members.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 09:49 AM  
spotted zebra

Usually I'll pop into a thrift store with no expectations, other than hoping they'll have some workout videos.

Yesterday afternoon I was in another part of town, noticed a new (to me) thrift store and went in and found a video with Jaclyn Smith - "Workout For Beauty & Balance". It includes a workout led by Mari Winsor. I haven't had a chance to try it. No doubt Jaclyn Smith will look great, as always.

The only other workout at this thrift store was for kids. But I felt like I'd hit the jackpot just with the one even. It's strange to think how the more modern DVDs out in all the stores now will one day be seen as "oldies".

Tags
29 minute workout, calisthenics, jeans, thrift store finds