Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-08, 01:10 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_b
Now THAT is a killer deal on the CIAs! Makes you wonder what happened that someone decided to let them all go.
i always imagine someone breaking up with another person (roommates, lovers, family, etc.) and being vindictive (".....i'll dump his/her dvd's/vids at the goodwill!!!").

last night at the library, i impulsively got a $1 vhs of buns of steel 2000 step video w/Tamilee, Donna Richardson and Tracy York, 1993. Tracy looks like a cute little "bunny" on the cover!!!!

i think that's the beauty of vhs - you can check out your instructors when they were young, with their 80s hair and legwarmers!!! for $1 to boot!

peggy - thanks for that image of Gin's 29-minute step workout - i've always been on the lookout for that one, and IIRC, the back cover doesn't mention her name either. i think i might have seen it and didn't realize that was the Gin one. someone should write an amazon review and mention that it's Gin leading the workout.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 03:13 PM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaigirl
Last week, someone dumped their entire CIA 2700 series DVDs, Kickbox Bootcamp and Michelle's Best Body Circuit. I bought them all at $1.99 a piece! I also got a full-size Reebok step for $6.99 and a pair of 2lb. hand weights for $1.99. All at the same Goodwill! I thought I had died and gone to fitness heaven!

Then yesterday I got a still-sealed copy of Rodney Yee's Yoga Conditioning for Athletes DVD, Kathy Smith's Functionally Fit DVD and two Yoga Kids workout DVDs for $.99 (!!) each. They also had a bunch of Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs for my kids for $.99.

Honestly, I find myself going around from thrift store to thrift store looking for finds. It's like a great treasure hunt!
Oh man, all I've ever seen at mine were a few misc vhs tapes. Fitness dvds around here seem to be rare.

Good find with the Thomas the Tank Engine dvds, too. Just be careful of their "Push/Pull" workout. Pulling the train was easy but pushing it? Ugh! Next time, I'm sticking to the beginner dvd...only uses 60 tons in that one.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 07:22 PM  
spotted zebra

My cousin and I have this thing with thrift stores. When I'm in one I find her cookbooks, and sometimes she'll pick up the odd fitness workout for me. So I just found out she got me a copy of Joan Collins' Personal Workout and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I know some people here scoff at celebrity workouts. But they have the money/backing to get decent music and good instructors, so they can be better than expected. I read her workout contains floorwork, which is a bonus.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 07:35 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I wish I could find someone who liked either thrift stores or workout DVDs.

It would be nice to have someone get excited about my finds, either thrift store or DVD wise.

Renda

ETA: Be sure to let us know how Joan Collins is. After one of your (I think) posts a while back about the Susan Anton Slimatics video, I went back to a thrift store I had seen it at and picked it up. I haven't done it yet, but I think I will do it tomorrow. I tend to like the celebrity older vids, too.
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 07:43 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom
ETA: Be sure to let us know how Joan Collins is. After one of your (I think) posts a while back about the Susan Anton Slimatics video, I went back to a thrift store I had seen it at and picked it up. I haven't done it yet, but I think I will do it tomorrow. I tend to like the celebrity older vids, too.
I'll do that. Which Slimatics video did you pick up? I think there are about five in the series. Total Body Toning is the one I have.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 07:53 PM  
kas97

I was inspired by this thread to hit Goodwill this morning. They had a few fitness dvds (3 maybe) that I had never heard of before, so I skipped them. I hit the VHS's and thought I hit paydirt when I found the Firm's Better Body and Buns workout for $.33, but when I checked the VHS insides it was actually the Upper Body workout. So I checked some of the other Firm titles and none of the VHS's matched the covers. Oh well...
kas97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 09:20 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

The thing about thrift stores is you just have to keep looking. You never know what will pop in.
The thrift store I hit the jackpot in this week has NEVER had anything of any interest in it before, at least work out/workout wise. I guess they got all the stuff from one person, for whatever reason.

Renda
Old 09-14-08, 09:17 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted_zebra
I'll do that. Which Slimatics video did you pick up? I think there are about five in the series. Total Body Toning is the one I have.
The devil is in the details . I got the Dance Aerobics one. I HATE DANCE. Oh, well, I have seen a number of the Slimatics around and not paid attention to them so I think I will go back and see if I can find a nondance one. I can't believe I picked up a dance video. My vidiocy must have been in total control.

Thanks for the head's up.

Renda
Old 09-16-08, 07:09 PM  
Orlita

Well, I've been scouring the shelves at my local thrifts in vain hoping to find a Margaret Richard. Finally, at a thrift in another town, I found "Body Shaping: The Body Electric Video Workout," from 1986 for $1. Wahoo! Is this something that's included in one of her DVDs?

I also found but didn't buy (and am kicking myself a little): Charlene Prickett's "Home Stretch" and Petra's "Cardio Sweat Factory."

Sounds like the Prickett is a good one. Anyone familiar with the Petra? There were 2 copies of it. They had TONS of workout VHS -- Ellen, Gilad, Kathy, Richard, lame obscurities, the works. Far more than in my local thrifts.

No DVDs, alas, but the clerk said they're holding back 'til after their big sale.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-08, 07:42 PM  
Orlita

Found "A Week with Raquel" today. Couldn't resist.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
29 minute workout, calisthenics, jeans, thrift store finds