Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-26-20, 08:26 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Another day pretty much like my others this past four days - rain in waves outside and hot. I'm planning on walking Gus and putzing around my house and garden... Hard to tell if this is quarantine life or retirement life...

I'm surprised people haven't heard of cheese curds, but I guess it's a Midwestern thing! Seriously Yum! It's basically battered, fried cheese curds that are what cheese does first as it is made into blocks.

Dede, I'm amazed how much exercise you still do despite the shoulder issues - glad you can work around it. My body is probably considered very out of shape these days...

Laura, hopefully your itchiness in you throat is allergies, not virus... Glad the Benadryl helped - that points to allergies to me. Feeling better now? The Guard set up Covid-19 testing for free over Memorial Day weekend - loooooong lines of four hours or so - tested close to 10,000 people...

Paula, Enjoy your cruise! I get a lot of typos these days also - I don't know how much its autocorrect taking over and putting in wrong words these days and how much its me... No the cheese curds are usually cheddar instead of cottage cheese, but it is what forms when they make cheddar cheese - similar to cottage cheese chunks but no whey - typically chunks are about a 1" size.

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 11:13 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I slept 7 solid hours last night. And, I feel much better! It's amazing how my body can simulate cold symptoms when it's overly tired. I believe that I had allergy symptoms, but the tiredness exacerbated it. Anyway, it's nice to have a good day on our last sunny day for a while.

We have had a busy morning. I did some laundry, dropped off my car to have the airbag(s) replaced, and I exercised. This afternoon, I hope to film my first video on dates in Excel.

Anita - Have you had any contact or thoughts about the hip surgery now that stuff is loosening up some? I'm not thinking you'd have it soon, but have you thought about getting it on the calendar? I've heard of cheese curds, but didn't know what they are. Guess that came from living in Chicago as a teenager, maybe.

Paula - I hope that the trip is going well!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 11:27 AM  
sciencelady

I'm thinking about putting an appointment with the surgeon to get the replacement scheduled for early autumn - figure that should be about what his backlog would accommodate. Right now I'm waiting for my driveway to get replaced - wait should be 2-4 weeks now (originally 4-6 weeks two weeks ago). Once that's done I can do the hip - I think the process takes about a month for the driveway replacement (three week wait after concrete removed and base rock put in). The driveway people know I'm getting the hip, so they should be telling me more about their timing once they start up - once I know I can schedule surgery with the surgeon. The hip replacement will involve trying to get some help with Gus and maybe staying with an elderly friend, but I don't want to risk him getting Coronavirus.
Old 05-26-20, 04:03 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I just got off the spin bike. I should have worked out earlier, but I laid back down this morning and slept a few more hours.

Anita, I'm also surprised by what I can do with my shoulder. I've gotten much better over the last year, and I can do more all the time. This surprises me because I was of the impression that surgery was the only thing that would make me better. I had two MRI's read by two different radiologists, and they both said I had a full-thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon. I didn't think full-thickness tears could mend on their own. I don't know why I'm getting better, but I'm grateful for it. I just have to be careful. I don't want to injure it again.

When I looked up cheese curds, it looked like something DS would like. He loves cheese. Maybe it's just the name. It doesn't necessarily sound yummy. But it did look pretty good.

Laura, our state was the same. The numbers increased when the testing did. I read about the father/son duo (somewhere in NC) who sponsored races or something like that. Four thousand people showed up. I hope they don't start an outbreak.

I'm afraid I can't see Paula on the Two Harbors cam. Since there is an eaglet on the nest, and it is the only eaglet we can see this year (cursed season), the cam is zoomed in on the eaglet. But it looks like a lovely day to be there. Champion (the eaglet) is battling flies, though. I'll bet s/he looks out over the water and wishes s/he could be there.

We had a gully-washer earlier. It rained hard for a little while. Now the sun is back out. But that's the kind of forecast we have for the week.

Everyone have a great day.
Old 05-27-20, 07:10 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I've got a purple painful little toe - hit it against my bathroom cabinet when I swung my foot to the toilet top to get my nails trimmed. I don't know if its broken or not - I don't think so as it's still in the right position and I feel no grinding in there, but still it hurts! Not as much as my hip on the other leg though as far as pain... I did make an appointment to see the surgeon on June 15th - hopefully I'll have more dates on my driveway by then and he can tell me when a surgery date would work for him - I'm expecting sometime this fall.

I'm planning on working at the WRC with the ducklings today, making a grocery run and walking Gus - likely will need the cane for that again.

Laura, was the airbag replacement something the dealership notified you needed to be done? I can't imagine they just went off on you... Have fun with your Excel lessons!

Dede, I'm glad your bones in your shoulder are still doing well - mine's arthritis there - all my tendons are intact, but moving the shoulder is painful. I've seen friends with tendon tears redevelop some other muscles that help compensate for the loss of a specific one, but they certainly aren't up to normal strength there. Our rains last night were hard - expected to be a bit over 2" - flash flood warnings in effect. We have one park I take Gus to that has eagle platforms in it - I've seen some bald eagles land, but not nest at the ones I have access to - we do have osprey nest up there though - they had a hatchling early this spring, but haven't seen any activity up there in May - hope the fledgeling is now flying around.

Anita
Old 05-27-20, 03:11 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I did not work out early today. That's because I went into the city to run errands. It was in the 60s when I got there and 75 by the time I was returning home. And my face still got red. It's going to be a long summer.

I did my customized upper body routine and the step only (no blasts) premix of Imax 3. It had been years since I'd done that workout and I still managed to pick up the choreography pretty quickly. I guess it's like riding a bike.

Anita, I'm sorry about your toe. Sounds like you can't catch a break. As for my shoulder, I'm not up to normal strength, but pretty close. For the moves I can still do, anyway. It doesn't help that my labrum still pops and grinds a bit. That worries me and keeps me from going heavier on certain exercises. I hope your osprey hatchling is flying around. Especially considering you have eagles in the area. I've never quite gotten over seeing that eagle snatch Spirit out of the nest at Hog Island, although it happened so fast there wasn't really anything to see. I guess it was just the knowing. Spirit was my favorite.

I hope Laura is having a good day and Paula is enjoying her trip.
Old 05-27-20, 05:52 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It turned into a busy day. I didn't get exercise in today because the timeframe in which I was going to do it got taken. I got a message from someone on the tutoring site I'm signed up to work on begging to meet with me today with questions on Excel. So, I set that up during the time I was going to exercise. But, I was happy to help her and we covered a lot of territory. I also took DH to his PT appointment and got much of my video edited while I was waiting for him. Plus, I did things like laundry and figuring out the box I needed to mail something and cleaning up my office some.

Anita - That all makes sense. It's good to have a plan. I'm sorry about your toe! I hope it heals quickly.

Dede - I'm glad your shoulder has improved, even if the doctors didn't think it would. It's good you are being careful with it. I hope the positive trend continues with it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 07:26 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I had a good night's sleep last night - very needed. Luckily Gus didn't need to go outside either overnight.

Today planning on putzing around outside - hopefully weeding out some beds, giving Gus a walk and doing chair yoga. I might grill some more cheeseburgers tonight .

Dede, so do eagles attack osprey? I did see an eagle on the post about 20 feet away from the osprey nest weeks ago, then no one in the nest two days later - wonder if there was an attack...

Laura, so do you get paid for our tutoring skills? I hope so! My toe's a rainbow - the bruise extended into my foot overnight then cleared up in my foot when I got up. Looks like the toe is draining bruise blood pretty well - it's lighter in color now. Walking went a bit better yesterday - still slow, but no cane was used.

Anita
Old 05-28-20, 12:51 PM  
sciencelady

Today is a very sad day - the riots from Minneapolis are now extending into Saint Paul and are now affecting stores about eight blocks away . The sounds of helicopters flying overhead are making me feel nauseous .
Old 05-28-20, 03:12 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Anita, I'm sorry about the riots. So many people are going to get hurt. I understand their outrage, but they aren't helping anything.

Yes, eagles kill osprey. The nest at Hog Island lost two three-week-old chicks the year before Spirit was taken. Spirit was on fledge watch, so she was full-grown. Dad got serious with the eagles and those attacks stopped. Then the next year it was the GHO. The owl struck two years in a row. This year, it is attacking the adults. Because of covid-19, the camps are not open and there's no noise to ward off the owl or the eagle. Both have visited the nest. The adults leave the nest at night and incubate during the day. Obviously, we don't think the eggs will hatch. But that is probably for the best. There is a new female, and she seems young. The owl is probably more than she can handle.

Laura, those little odds and ends chores can take up a lot of time. It sounds as if you were productive.

Today I did Total Body Giant Sets lower body and Strong and Sweaty bonus abs (minus the plank complex). Then I vacuumed. I was a little tired and sweaty after all that. I could never work in the yard all day like Anita.

We've had heavy but quick downpours for the last three days. I'm glad it isn't constant.

Everyone stay safe and well.