Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-20, 01:06 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Alison, how long have things been shut down there? I guess we shut down towards the end of March, so it's been nearly two months. Things started opening here this week--restaurants, salons--and some people seem to have practically returned to normal. Just the feeling of not being able to go anywhere causes meltdowns!

Vantreesta, I'm glad you made it home safely. How's your dad? I think when my mom passed, he was OK initially because so many people were around. Over the next few months, he sort of lost his way. But then he came out here last summer and while it may not have helped, it was a good distraction.

I did decide to let DD go to gymnastics. As DH and a friend of mine pointed out, I can't know what it's like unless we go. My kids are pretty in tune with all of this, so I think if it were really bad, she'd let me know she's uncomfortable. And i am definitely going to check out the situation to see how many kids are there at once!

I was thinking, it'll be tough for me to start a new job before about August 1. School would start towards the end of July, so to start that new routine and then a new job would work best then. We have money coming in and money saved up, so we should be fine. Of course, not a lot of hiring going on.

I have got to get my eating under control. I'm exercising regularly but probably not as intensely as I could. Because I also need to get to bed earlier! This is all new though, I need to find my own structure.

The kids' online schooling ends this week, kind of already has actually, so it might be a huge change!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 01:19 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Alison, how long have things been shut down there? I guess we shut down towards the end of March, so it's been nearly two months. Things started opening here this week--restaurants, salons--and some people seem to have practically returned to normal. Just the feeling of not being able to go anywhere causes meltdowns!
Things started to shut down March 13 (the last day I went into work). IIRC, the governor shut down everything shortly after. We live in the most populous part of the state, so things are opening slower here than other parts of VA. We're supposed to go to Disney in August. I have no idea what we'll do if Disney is even open.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-20, 10:29 PM  
Vantreesta

I only did my PT exercises and day 15 of Kassandra's Morning Yoga Movement today. I had planned to run, jump rope and do a CS episode too but I had to get groceries and frankly it left me more tired than it used to! It was also hubby's comp day so he only worked in the morning. I'm much less likely to accomplish things when I can sit and watch TV with him. I actually fell asleep for about half an hour before our second walk.

Pratima, I think he is doing as good as can be expected. He's trying to keep busy. But I think it's been hard on him since I left. He spent time at my brother's over the wknd, so that's good.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-20, 05:34 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Pratima: I saw the picture you posted recently with your medal display. How did you attach the grid to the wall? DH and I are debating how it could be done.

I'm re-doing my workout area--it's a total chaotic mess right now, just like the rest of my house! I want to make it a calm escape, even though it's just part of the rec room.

I signed up for Eoin Finn's online Align Your Yoga, Align Your Life course. I'm not sure what I'm in for, but I'm looking forward to it. It doesn't start until June 10.

They're opening all the county parks for recreational use this weekend. No facilities or playgrounds, but the parking lots will be open for trail users. I'm so looking forward to getting back to the lake runs.
Old 05-20-20, 06:03 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Alison, the grid is from a World Market store that went out of business. It's quite large and heavy! It has brackets that attach to the wall. There's a plate that's screwed into the wall, and an arm that juts out that the grid rests on.

A friend of mine used a towel bar for hers, or maybe it's a curtain rod? With that you could easily put several in a row. Anyway, let me know if you want me to send you some pictures!

Were the actual trails closed? That hasn't been done here, though the regional park put up this big electronic gate that opens at a specific time, and they limit it to 150 cars in the lot at a time. I had to wait that one day and gave up.

Vantreesta, it took my dad a while to feel my mom's absence, I think. Once everyone left and there weren't people around all the time, I know it was strange for him. Fortunately (?) my DH was diagnosed a couple months later and that gave him something else to focus on.

It's so strange being home like this. And even stranger to have NO structure to my days other than what I create. My kids did their last day of online school today. I am going to have them continue to do various things, like Mandarin via Duolingo, and try to come up with little outings. I am SO thankful our neighbors are letting us use their pool--that may be a daily thing come July.

I am really going to try to control my eating and get in shape! I took a picture of myself and could see my muscle tone just isn't the same. Burn Bootcamp reopened but is still streaming, so I'm doing that for weights. My brother added me to his Peloton membership (he bought himself a bike) so I should be able to use that for trainer rides, and I am still able to run, trail run, and hike as long as I go early.

It was unusually cool today so I took the kids to a park that has a little lake in the middle and paths all over. We walked about 2.25 miles. DS was dragging quite a bit the second half but I was glad to be out!

DD started gymnastics yesterday. They switched her group from T, Th, evenings to T, Th mornings and she still goes Sat. morning. I'm glad she has that, I think she was having a tough time with the reduction in activity and contact with those girls! Hopefully the gym is able to stay open.

Some of the public pools are open too. I'm considering doing lap swim occasionally. As I said, it's a bit cool today (high supposed to be 86) but the pool is heated.

Hope everyone is doing well!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-20, 08:52 PM  
Vantreesta

I listened to the governor's talk today and bars and restaurants can open June 1 for outside dining only and salons, barbershop and tattoo parlors can open, with masks mandatory for employees and customers. I think the said indoor dining and gyms might be in the next phase and they are having a hard time deciding the safest thing for churches. He wants them to open bc he said we really need that but also that singing is one of the worst things we can do when trying to stop the spread.

Yesterday I did PT and day 16 of Kassandra's Morning Yoga Movement (which was fantastic) and then after our first walk I ran 3:1 intervals for 1.57 miles then did day 1 of DoYouYoga Strong & Calm challenge.

Today I did PT and day 17 of Kassandra (another really good one) and after our first walk I ran intervals again for 1.83 miles, did day 4 of the Crossrope 14 Day Beginner's Challenge and then day 2 of Strong & Calm.

I keep meaning to do episodes of CS too but they're on the DVR in the living room and I feel ridiculous doing those if hubby walks in the room!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 05-22-20, 08:28 AM  
Vantreesta

Woke up really dizzy yesterday so I went back to sleep till almost 10. Did feel less dizzy after that but low energy all day, no workouts. Went to the chiropractor in the afternoon and body felt so much better after. He wants me back in a week bc everything is so messed up from not going for several months. Unfortunately I woke up dizzy again today. I did most of my PT exercises but had to skip some bc of the dizziness. So I guess for sure no yoga today and probably no run either.

Old 05-22-20, 03:33 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: I hope the dizziness isn't anything serious! Glad the chiropractor helped.

Pratima: I like the idea of curtain rods too. Or I might just put the medals all in a drawer somewhere. I don't know. I'm still trying to think the whole thing through. I just really need to get one little corner of this house set up to be a calm environment.

The trails in the parks were open, but the parking lots weren't. They encouraged only people who lived walking distance to use them. Not much is walkable anywhere around here. So people lined their cars on the side of a 55 mph road to go to the park. Not me. I think all the lots are open as of today, but park facilities and I think playgrounds are still closed.

This week I kept up on running and backyard bootcamp, although I had to put off today's until tomorrow due to weather. I did PY4H quickie Monday-Thursday mornings and Earth Body Yoga today.
Old 05-26-20, 07:31 AM  
Vantreesta

I wish I could say the dizziness is gone but it's not. I had some degree of it all wknd plus a headache one day. We spent the wknd with my father-in-law and I pretty much slept and crocheted the whole time. I took two naps on Saturday, a long one on Sunday and part of the way home yesterday. The past few months really seem to he catching up with me. Sunday I didn't even get 2000 steps.

The number of asymptomatic people with covid scares me. I worry about being one of those people and passing it unknowingly. We did stay in the house with my father-in-law but we didn't hug at all, which is so hard. It is concerning that some people are just appearing to go back to life as normal when we know this virus is not over yet. We didn't see very many masks this wknd. Surprisingly I saw the most being worn at Walmart.

I had an opportunity to adopt a sweet dog this wknd but had to say no bc Cyric doesn't get along with other dogs. It was so hard to say no but I know it's the best decision for both dogs, plus Cyric is still a lot of work on his own. Turning 3 a couple weeks ago didn't seem to mellow him out yet!

Old 05-30-20, 10:47 AM  
Vantreesta

My only exercise this week has been walking: 3 a day with Cyric, a 5.32 mi one with Sandy on Wednesday and a short one with hubby yesterday. We were up north with my father-in-law last wknd and got home on Monday. Tuesday I had support group over Zoom. Thursday was coffee on my friend's deck but we met at 10 and she had a big cinnamon roll for me that I felt like I had to eat so when I got home at noon I wasn't hungry and didn't eat lunch till 3. So leftovers for supper once I finally got hungry. Yesterday I cleaned the kitchen and bathrooms. I WILL get back to PT and workouts next week!

I had chiro again on Thursday and my neck and SI joint were very sore that night. Icing them helped a lot and they felt fine yesterday. The dizziness is not completely gone but is much better. He wants me back again next week. I really hope that will take care of it all and then I get back to my regular schedule of adjustments. I want to try to do neck and upper back stretches after crocheting too.