Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-24-20, 07:35 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies - Never Was So Much Owed By So Many to So Few. May 24

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-20, 07:54 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

The quote is from Winston Churchill, so I meant it for Memorial Day. It's hard to believe that Memorial Day is here. We usually travel to see family, so it seems strange this year.

The last two days have been beautiful and sunny and we've gone on walks. It has been good to get out of the house. Yesterday was my mom's 82nd birthday. Because of Dad's health issues, we postponed the family celebration, but it sounded like they had a nice day on their own. We'll get together in the coming week.

Dede - I saw a report here that said that North Carolina's cases are rising while their neighbors' rates are dropping - including Tennessee. But, it's so hard to know, understand, or believe the numbers recently, so I don't know. I'm sorry people are not cooperating around you.

Paula - You've gotten quite a bit of outside time recently. That's a good thing.

Anita - Here, they are having drive-by pick-up of state fair food. Maybe you'll see a little traffic? It's a strange year.....

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 05-24-20, 08:39 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Thank you for getting us started, Laura! Nice quote for the holiday .

We're having another periodically rainy day - yesterday Gus and I walked in the rain. It was actually kind of nice and peaceful - not a rough downpour, but just a slow drip when we were walking. I've been using my cane for the last two days of walking - not fun to have such a painful hip that I can't walk well, but Gus has been very good accommodating that. I don't wear a mask when walking Gus in the park.

Dede, on top of redness from heat, I'm sure I'll get a mask face sunburn also . I don't wear the mask on my walks with Gus as we're usually very far apart and sparse outside, but I do some work at WRC outside in the sunshine while wearing the mask. No, no neighbors came over asking about cheeseburgers - on one side I have very professional BBQers that could be chefs, on the other side young men that used to be students and now somewhat working if they can these days. The pros would laugh at my flames and smoke . I'm still enjoying these cheeseburgers with a nice cold beer .

Paula, we don't really have a rainy season - it rains pretty much all year (snow in winter) - not like in the West with a rainy season, followed by a dry season. I did notice on FB that Chrys from Utah (used to post in this group) had snow yesterday . Our state has really expanded their testing for Covid-19, so lots more positives showing up, unfortunately daily death rates are the highest now also . We had a lot of PPE for our health care workers coming that our state bought, but the feds took it away . For face masks, I'm using sewn cloth ones donated to the WRC - one is lots hotter than the other, but I appreciate having them! I wash them in my laundry every week.

Laura, we do have some fair vendors selling their foods now from their home driveways or at some small get-togethers. I don't know if the grounds would be open to have a drive by pickup - if they do it on the big street to the fair, I cringe at the traffic issues! Our State Fair is usually at the end of August through Labor Day - saw that the dates have already been changed on the gate to 2021 dates. We have a Renaissance Fair going at the same time - I think that's still on, as far as their current advertising - it was nice to go there during the State Fair as the crowds were a lot less. Frankly, I don't know if I'll go there this year even if I wear a mask...

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-20, 03:12 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Anita, my favorite masks are the ones that are made like surgical masks. For some reason, I can breathe easier in them. But all the ones I have a bit big, so I bought a cap from Sweaty Bands (I may have mentioned this already) with buttons sewn just above the ears, and I wrap the loops around those. That makes them fit a bit better. So, I don't have to worry about a sunburn. You shouldn't need a mask while walking in the park. I know we need to be careful around others, but I can't believe people who wear them while jogging. How can they breathe!

Laura, I checked NC's new case numbers. That is pretty high. Any idea why it's happening? Maybe you are doing more testing? Our numbers rose when we did more tests.

It is hot today. Mercy, I think summer is really here. I guess I need to be gearing up for four months of misery.

Everyone have a great week!
Old 05-24-20, 08:34 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. No formal workout today - we did a fly and picnic day. There's a park near the airport we flew to, so we hiked as well. Beautiful weather. People we pretty good today as far as wearing masks and keeping a distance, only in Long Beach do we encounter people who just don't comply with any of the recommendations.

We are planning to take the boat to Catalina on Tuesday for a couple nights. Just in case there are lots of boat there for Memorical day, we're waiting until many have gone home.

Laura, thanks for getting us started - good theme. Drive by fair food sounds good. I need an apple fritter. Glad you've been able to get outside some. Hope you can see your mother and celebrate her birthday together soon. I keep hearing things will be reopening, with restrictions and protocals, here soon. I am looking forward to seeing what the new normal will be.

Anita, You and Gus, singing in the rain. I don't know why so many Cronies have deserted us. I miss so many of them. My county has broadened it's testing also. I thing both the LA County and Orange County fairs have been cancelled for this summer.

DeeDee, I bought a package of four gaiters on amazon, they were too large and kept sliding off my face so I sewed some elastic in them. Not they are my favorite masks - I can breathe and not steam up my glasses, also they are easy to pull up and slide off as needed.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 08:02 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Another rainy day here... We do get some nice sunny breaks in it though so Gus and I will hopefully get our walk in today. Otherwise planning on putzing around inside and outside.

Dede, there's fewer people wearing masks in parks, but I am seeing it on a lot of elderly people. Right now we're in the mid-70's for highs and might get to 80 this week, but I'd hate to be in the 90's!

Paula, sounds like a lovely day for you! I think I'm thinking cheese curds more than apple fritter as fair food. Glad you were able to get the gaiters to work for you. Skillz with sewing .

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 11:03 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I got my workout done early today. Summer is here, and that bonus room gets hot quickly. I wanted to be done before it hit 80 up there. I did my customized upper body routine, but I also did Strong Body Stacked Sets Upper. I usually do a total-body routine, but this is the one upper body only routine that I have done since the shoulder issue, so I have it in rotation. (I would like to get back to dedicated upper body routines, but I'm afraid they would bother my shoulder.) I might do a Leslie mile to round it out.

When it comes to fairs, I prefer funnel cake. Actually, I don't go to fairs. But I do go to festivals. And I always look for funnel cake. I had to google cheese curds, and the first thing I found was real Wisconsin fried cheese curds. I don't recall ever seeing any. Perhaps it's a regional thing?

Anita, we have rain in the forecast for the whole week, but it's hit or miss. Right now, we have sunshine. I think DH said we'd met 3/4 of our rain quota for the year already.

Paula, how neat that you are planning to take the boat to Catalina. That sounds wonderful. I don't know which part of the island you end up on. If you're near West End or Two Harbors, wave to the eagles.

Everyone have a day!
Old 05-25-20, 06:15 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a nice quiet Memorial Day. I didn't feel very good yesterday - scratch throat, active sinuses, tired, etc. I had a feeling it was allergies and being tired because of not sleeping enough for several nights in a row. But these days you think about what "not feeling well" could mean. I took a Benedryl before going to bed and I woke up feeling much better.

Anita - Rain is in our forecast the rest of the week. It was nice to have a nice weekend between rain all last week and rain the rest of this week. Hopefully, yours will clear up soon. It sounds like a nice walk in the rain you had. So much has had to change this year. I'm sure you won't miss the crowds around the State Fair, but it will still seem strange probably.

Dede - I'm with you. When I get fair food, it's almost always a funnel cake. I love those.

Paula - Smart move to go to Catalina after the weekend. Have a great trip.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 05-25-20, 08:03 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Dede - It occurred to me that I didn't answer your question. NC numbers went up after they massively increased testing. After that, it gets confusing as to whether we are in good shape or bad shape. Different experts have talked about different data points and cited them as either good or bad. We're in the first week of the second phase of reopening with restaurants and hair salons, etc. open. At the last minute, they decided against letting gyms and bars reopen because of the risks. I guess we'll see what happens. This phase is supposed to last until the end of June.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 05-25-20, 08:22 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Yoga With Adriene - Sun Rise. We spent the day getting ready to take the boat to Catalina. We leave tomorrow morning so you won't see me for a couple (or more) days.

Boy I had a lot of typos in last night's posts - maybe too much wine? I guess you knew what I meant even if it wasn't what I wrote.

DeeDee, we are going to Two Harbors which is also called the Isthmus - two names for the same place. I'll wave to the eagles for you. If you view the harbor on the live cam, look for a small power boat on a mooring near the beach, second or third row out, dark blue hull on the west side of the cove, it just might be us. Good job on the upper body workouts.

Anita, when I think cheese curds, I think of cottage cheese - I didn't know there was anything else. Which, IMHAO, is not nearly as appealing as apple fritters or funnel cake.

Laura, quiet Memorial Day here too. Any day you wake up with a scrathy throat is a scary day in the current enviroment, glad you are feeling better. Hair salons, nail salons, and bars are still closed here. Things are reopening slowly.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote