Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-20, 04:44 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hmm, Joni, sounds like you got a receptionist or someone who wasn't really familiar with different yoga styles! Restorative classes can be really yummy because the instructor tends to take a lot of care to make sure you are tucked in and comfortable.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-20, 05:11 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'm a big fan of Yin Yoga too. I usually follow a sequence in Kassandra's book, or do my own thing. I had leg injuries, and physical therapy got me 90% better. Yin Yoga got me to 99%.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 08:57 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Putting on my yoga teacher hat - yin yoga and restorative yoga definitely get confused, but they are actually completely different!
(I'm certified in restorative and currently taking an online yin certification training.)

Yin yoga is designed to provide stretch of the connective tissues. It's usually done cold (no warm-up), because you want to bypass the muscles. Poses are are held a long time so that your body can settle into the stretch. You are not going to your maximum; you are looking for the "just right" stretch by creating a tensile load on the tissues. However, you are also aware that the shape of your bones can cause compression, so yin postures look different on every individual body, and props can be used for access.

In restorative yoga, you do NOT want to stretch! The goal is to be completely supported (props are almost always used, the more the better) so that you can completely relax into the postures. Poses are also held a long time, often even longer than in yin (my restorative YTT teacher recommended 20 minutes each). Although restorative is NOT yin, if you are talking about yin vs yang styles of yoga (passive vs active), restorative would be more yin in style.

I love both!!!
Thanks for the clarification and explanations. There was a time I was only interested in Power Yoga and didn’t pay attention to the different types of Yoga. But with age comes injuries and wisdom.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 09:20 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I'm a big fan of Yin Yoga too. I usually follow a sequence in Kassandra's book, or do my own thing. I had leg injuries, and physical therapy got me 90% better. Yin Yoga got me to 99%.
Thats awesome. I did the Travis practice again this morning. I this one.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 11:18 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Putting on my yoga teacher hat - yin yoga and restorative yoga definitely get confused, but they are actually completely different!
(I'm certified in restorative and currently taking an online yin certification training.)

Yin yoga is designed to provide stretch of the connective tissues. It's usually done cold (no warm-up), because you want to bypass the muscles. Poses are are held a long time so that your body can settle into the stretch. You are not going to your maximum; you are looking for the "just right" stretch by creating a tensile load on the tissues. However, you are also aware that the shape of your bones can cause compression, so yin postures look different on every individual body, and props can be used for access.

In restorative yoga, you do NOT want to stretch! The goal is to be completely supported (props are almost always used, the more the better) so that you can completely relax into the postures. Poses are also held a long time, often even longer than in yin (my restorative YTT teacher recommended 20 minutes each). Although restorative is NOT yin, if you are talking about yin vs yang styles of yoga (passive vs active), restorative would be more yin in style.

I love both!!!
Thank you so much for this insight! This is why I love VF...learn something new all the time!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 11:36 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

My first yin yoga class "cured" for lack of a better word a chronic groin muscle pain I had had from a hiking injury years earlier. That's not why I tried the class, but the next morning I woke up without the pain for the first time in four years. It hasn't come back. I like it for the back and hip stretches.

I have to be very careful with it because there are a few poses that aggravate my back. Bananasana is one, and a seated forward bend with a twist.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 11:36 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

kittybug, when I did my yoga teacher training back in 2015, I actually felt more knowledgeable about yoga in general than many of my fellow students, in part due to learning so much on VF over the years! I also think that using videos has been very helpful in my own progression as a teacher; most of us are exposed to MANY more different types of teachers/styles in videos than we ever could be in live classes.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 05:17 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
My first yin yoga class "cured" for lack of a better word a chronic groin muscle pain I had had from a hiking injury years earlier. That's not why I tried the class, but the next morning I woke up without the pain for the first time in four years. It hasn't come back. I like it for the back and hip stretches.
That's awesome!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 05:21 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:

I love both!!!
I feel like there are a lot of people who think restorative and yin are the same -- perhaps youtube has done this. With a quick glance at the peloton yoga offerings, it seems like they don't quite understand restorative yoga either -- they pretty much call anything that's not power yoga "restorative" -- but maybe I looked to quickly. If someone can tell me I'm wrong about that, I won't mind.
Old 05-25-20, 06:43 PM  
soulflower

Thanks for detailing the differences between yin and restorative yoga - I had no idea they differed. It’s great to learn something new!
soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restorative yoga, types of yoga, yin yoga, yin yoga benefits