Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-13-20, 11:41 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Anita, our Costco is counting people going in and out as well. I didn't have to wait outside long. (This was last week when I went into the city to get my oil changed.)

The food shortages are getting worse. I don't like to say I told you so, but I called this one. As soon as the brouhaha began, I told my brother I expected food shortages somewhere down the line. He disagreed and said the warehouses were full. But I suggested that food processing plants would have to close because of the virus spreading amongst workers, and that's what has happened in the meatpacking plants. DH put Spam on the list, and there isn't a can of Spam to be found anywhere in this county. I supposed people are hoarding because of the meat shortage. Soup is also still in short supply. I'm not concerned about meat because DS and I don't care for it, but if one type of food is low, everyone will hoard everything else. I'm still having trouble finding some kinds of canned vegetables and rice.

Anita, geese took over the nest of one of the osprey couples I sometimes watch. Their two goslings hatched a couple of days ago, and yesterday they made their leap to the ground. All of us watching were holding our breath. We knew they were going to do it, but most of us had never heard of that until we started watching this nest. Unfortunately, they displaced the osprey pair, who are far off in the distance on another platform. Now we won't be able to watch their chicks grow up.

And we had some excitement at the Bald Eagle West End nest on Catalina. Some guys on a boat started shooting off a rifle. At the sound of the first shot, Thunder shot straight up off the nest and flew off. We saw feathers floating back down to the nest and thought they'd shot her. But the camera found them and we could see they were shooting out towards the water. Then they started shooting towards the island. Some camera watchers called authorities, and the Coast Guard came out to investigate. They took one of the guys with them, the owner of the rifle. We've heard there may be some stiff penalties involved. I don't know what they were thinking. Someone else sent the info to the LA Times hoping they would report on it. I kind of doubt they will.

Paula, I'm sorry about the stains and the work getting them out. I would hate to find my clothes in that condition.

Laura, I hope you enjoyed that cupcake on my behalf.

Monday, I was looking through some old Cathe workouts and trying to pick one to do. But I was looking at the total body ones, many of which are high-rep. I decided my joints probably didn't want to do a 4 1/2 minute static lunge sequence or a 4-minute bicep segment. So I just did PHA2 and Muscle Endurance abs. Yesterday was a Virtual Active spinning DVD and today will be an Imax 4 premix. I still have migrating aches and pains. I'm just dealing the best I can and working around them.

We've had cool temperatures, but it's going to get hot this weekend. Typical May weather. I dread it.

Everyone have a great day.
Old 05-13-20, 06:01 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today, I took DH to his PT appointment. As usual, I stayed outsidse during the appointment and walked some. Other than that, we have just done stuff around the house.

Paula - We can have get-togethers up to 10 people. I haven't heard that you have to wear masks, but I am not familiar with the regulations. DH thinks the answer is probably yes because if you can't stay 6 feet away, you need to wear masks. We are in the first phase of reopening. Not much has reopened beyond stores, state parks and allowing some outdoor activities where people can stay socially distant.

Dede - Why yes I did! (Enjoy the cupcake on your behalf...) It was chocolate/chocolate and very delicious. Yeah, we are getting warm to hot weather coming, too. Today is supposed to be our last cool day. Tomorrow is supposed to hit the average temp. And then, we'll be hot, near 90.

Anita - Yeah, we buy some food at Costco, but not enough. And, we buy some items that when we see it we decide we need it. Yesterday's example was the short step ladder/platform we got for a great price. But, even if we never bought anything else, the glasses and hear aids make it worth the membership fee.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 07:55 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was the Stretches from my PT routine, a one mile walk with Leslie, and Karen Voight's Yoga Stretch.

Productive day, I did three loads of laundry, baked two loaves of banana bread, cleaned the refridgerator shelves, and worked on my lastest quilt. Been beautiful weather all day.

Anita, the same was true of our Costco until recently. I was surprised the other day to see people just walking in rather than standing in line. Things are beginning to lighten up in my county. We are not as hard hit as LA county, they (LA county) just announced they would have to stay in lock down for another three months due to the rising cases and deaths. Which means Catalina Island is going to be locked down for a while longer - BooHoo. enjoy the ducklings.

Deedee, I am so glad someone reported the jerks firing a rifle off and at Catalina Island (glad they didn't hit the eagles). The island is one of my favorite places in the world and that type of irresponsible behavior reflects badly on all boaters. I hope he gets a stiff fine and 30 days in County jail.

Laura, your county is ahead of us. Only "essential" stores are open here with talk of opening more soon. Beaches are open for exercise activities - the surfers are out again. We are Costco members - the glasses alone are worth the membership fee. Since COVID I ordered from them online once because I didn't want to brave the lines. Even at Costco there are a lot of shortages.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 07:47 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I got a lot done yesterday with WRC, shopping, walking Gus and a bunch of yard work. I didn't see the baby rabbit, but I hope its OK - there's been a cat hunting that area also . Today there's another chair yoga class on Zoom. Otherwise i might move some plants that are next to my driveway to try to preserve them when it gets replaced. Another Gus walk planned, of course.

Yesterday our governor declared that small shops can open up again if <10 people in there. Things like restaurants and hair salons must wait till June 1 - I assume circus is in that classification also.

Dede, geese taking over an osprey nest? Weird - I assume the osprey nest is high up on a pole - I'm used to goose nests being on the ground, although we've had some on the flat roof of my old workplace. Glad the bald eagles didn't get shot! We'll be in the 80s next week - way too hot for me!

Laura, glad you enjoyed your cupcake! And Happy Birthday ! We got some treats brought in to the WRC, but frankly I'm afraid to share a box with others in these conditions. I definitely don't want to see 90s yet!

Paula, are you limited in sailing in that you must return to your own dock at the end of the day or can you travel up or down the coast? The things I miss the most at my grocery store are the service areas - being able to pick up a hot rotisserie chicken, get my cheese cut, or stuff from the bakery area. There's certainly sparsely stocked raw meat supplies.

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 02:35 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It has been a nice day. I slept in some because I was up in the night. I ran to pick up lunch from our favorite restaurant, a Chinese restaurant, and Mom and Dad came over to join us with one of Mom's famous pecan pies. They just left a little while ago. It's the first warm day here in a while and is almost a picture- perfect day. It was really nice eating out on our sun porch and the food just seemed really, really good. I guess when youdon't have something for a while, it tastes better.

Anita - I wouldn't want to share food with a group of people in a work place either.

Paula - I hadn't ordered anything from Costco, but should take a look more seriously given their lower prices. I've ordered from a lot of other places.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 05-14-20, 07:40 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Happy Birthday, Laura! I don't check the birthdays, so I missed it. I depend on Anita to keep me informed.

Anita, yes, the osprey nest is high on a pole. Someone on the chat posted a video of goslings jumping from such a platform so we were prepared. Since the camera is right on the nest, we didn't get to see the descent. But it was nervewracking enough to see them go over the edge. Geese have stopped on the nest before or rattled the osprey. But this year, they beat the osprey to the nest and when the osprey pair tried to oust the geese, it didn't work.

Paula, I like Karen Voight's yoga stretch. It's been a long time since I did it.

Today's workout was brought to you by, YouTube. I did a ten-minute Pop Sugar ab workout and Cathe's One On One cardio leg workout.

I saw a raccoon out back yesterday. I didn't hang the seed feeders because it was supposed to rain. (It didn't. Just got a sprinkle or two.) I wonder if the raccoon would have climbed the pole if the feeders had been out. I didn't see it today. I hope it doesn't come back.
Old 05-14-20, 08:08 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was the stretchs from my PT routine then Pahla B's Chair Cardio/Strength, then DH and I did a walk through the neighborhood. Putzed around the house today, worked on the quilt. Much of the quilt top is finished.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LAURA. Like Deedee, I wait for Anita to inform me of these things. I know you had a cupcake for your b-day but honestly homemade pecan pie is just as good if not better. Love pecan pie.

Anita, hope you're able to dave your plants. We're supposed to hear more today/tomorrow on re-opening. Our county supervisors are meeting with the Governor today to discuss whether some things can reopen. Of course we had a record number of new cases today (around 250), so that doesn't bode well - I am hopeful more retail can reopen soon with restrictions - masks, social distancing, hand sanitizer, and keeping the numbers in the stores low. I think it will be a long time before dine in restaurants re-open. As for boating, we can anchor and spend the night many places, but with everything closed on shore it isn't as much fun. We're planning just to go out on the water for a while tomorrow.

Deedee, I really like the Karen Voight's Yoga Stretch, I've done it many times and still love it. Not sure why but I could do that stretch routine every night. Funny about the geese taking over an osjprey nest, I would never have imagined it. I've seen ospreys, they love to nest and hunt from the top of a mast, and make a mess on the boat deck with fish guts. I still love them.
Old 05-15-20, 07:01 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC, giving Gus his walk and putzing around in my garden. Today is supposed to be a top 10 weather day here .

Laura, Nice day of food! I've been wanting to pick up something from some of my favorite places, but haven't done that yet. Yum on pecan pie!

Dede, I don't usually see the opening page here that has the birthdays listed - Facebook reminds me of birthdays though . We've got those nesting poles in the park I walk Gus in - one had a osprey nest in it, but I haven't seen anyone there for about two weeks now. I'm hoping the fledgeling made it and is now flying, but I hope some eagles didn't come and kill it. Never seen a goose up there though!

Paula, I did hear from the asphalt company that I'll be out about 4 weeks from now, so less of an emergency to move plants, but I'll still do it. When they are this young, they move better. The business openings are going slowly, but unfortunately I'm seeing several closing down because of the extended closings. My friend's pet supply and grooming store will be closing...

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-20, 07:58 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was the stretches from my PT routine followed by Yoga with Adriene for nect and shoulders. As is often the case, I woke up with shoulder pain after sewing for hours yesterday.

Anita, I hope you had a good weather day. I am so sorry to hear your friend must close her business. Retail stores are beginning to open here but for curbside pick up only which is still not a full opening. I worry about the restaurant business the most - how long can they hold on? Still not opening here other than take out. Sign...I so miss my favorite restaurants and I know they miss us - their loyal customers.
Old 05-15-20, 08:21 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today was a weird day. I woke up way to early, so I was in a fog this morning. It got by me. This afternoon, I went to run a couple of errands. I got some lobster ravioli at Costco and want to make an alfredo sauce over the weekend, kinda hard without any milk. So, I picked up a few groceries at Publix.

I finally got back to my blog/videos today. I hope to get some work done over the weekend. This was a week off, which I enjoyed.

Paula - Yeah, I hope that as many restaurants as possible make it. And, hair stylists and nail techs. It's been hard. Did you hear today that JC Penney is shutting down. It has been coming for a long time, but the end seemed to come more quickly than it would have without this time.

Anita - I hope you got outside to enjoy and celebrate the Top 10 day!

Dede - I hope the racoon leaves your space alone. It's a clean sweep. I rely on Anita for birthdays, too.

Laura's Workout Mantras: