Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-20, 08:49 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

It's supposed to be a rainy day here, but so far not much wetness outside - supposedly dry air hitting the rain front is absorbing the rain in the air before it hits the ground much. I was hoping it would rain today as I'm seeding some lawn areas with grass seed yesterday. If it is this dry out there, Gus gets his walk today. I am also doing a chair yoga class this morning - my instructor is adding a Tuesday to her Thursday schedule. The Salvation Army is still closed - conflicts in the open/closed info on the internet... I didn't get to the plant place yet - I see the plastic greenhouses being filled in the parking lots around here, but they aren't open quite yet.

Paula, nice of you to help the food bank! I'm doing OK with the masks, but sweating lots behind them and getting sore backs of ears on the ones that have those loops. My shifts at WRC are the 4 hour wearing periods - I'm fine with half hour grocery runs. Frankly, I don't know how health care workers manage 12 hour shifts! My brother's wife is a mask protestor, which kind of surprises me as she was also a nurse and she took care of my parents for several years. It's hard to relate to her FB posts... . Yeah, we're having nursing homes go through the virus also - I'm keeping a close eye on the places that I've been looking at as independent senior housing for my future.

Dede, I admire your ability to modify the workouts that you have at home to accommodate your joints - I've given up and just walk Gus these days. I do chair yoga but it's for elderly clients - it does help some joints at this level. I like getting service appointments at car dealerships (I have a Subaru also) promptly these days! It was pretty empty when I was in there for an oil change.

Laura, Nice that you're able to walk to your grocery store and pick up some things! I've not done any of the pick up at curb stores - one thing that's against me is not having a portable phone in the car - just my phone at home. Seems everyone needs to call in to register their pickup when they are in line... I should listen in on your date post! I don't use Excel (I use whatever the freebie is these days), but sometimes my date goes fine xx/xx/xx, sometimes it automatically goes to xx/xx/xxxx and I can't edit it back to what I prefer... No luck with the charities so far - one fancier shop is opening this weekend, so hoping to drop off some stuff there!

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 08:27 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was the stretch section of my PT routine followed by Ellen Barrett Pick Your Level Pilates and then Yoga with Adriene /Home/Ground.

DeeDee, congrats on getting an appointment with the Subaru dealership - thorse can be hard to come by. Yes, there are protestors everywhere and I sympathize with wanting to return to normal life. However, I think it's a little ridiculous to carry a sign saying how you want a haircut or to eat at a restaurant. A lot of things are more important in my mind, such as "elective" surgery, or visiting people in nursing homes and being able to visit family - but that's just me. Cool on the hawk sighting.

Laura, I'm proud of you for sticking with the Blog. Yes, people are scared for financial reasons but I get the impression that's not the motivation for these protests or they would be carrying signs to that effect.

Anita, I admire you for wearing a mask for four hours. I can't imagine the medical personnel wearing one for 12 hours.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 07:22 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I had a rough night last night - somehow I had a fever and something in my head went wrong in that I had really bad head spins if I stood up or bent down - fine if I was laying down and rolled from one side to another. This morning I'm feeling better so will go to WRC. I don't think this has anything to do with Covid-19...

Otherwise planning on a normal day - walking Gus, putzing in my yard, putzing elsewhere, picking up groceries... I did pick up some annuals to plant in containers and a ground plot. I still need to pick up some baskets.

Paula, my hip replacement is considered an "elective" surgery. I'll still just hold back for a bit to plan for that.

Anita
Old 05-06-20, 07:39 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I woke up at 3:30 yesterday morning and was in bad shape yesterday afternoon. But, I didn't want to take a nap because then I would have a hard time going to sleep last night. The plan worked because I slept the whole night for the first time in awhile last night and feel pretty good.

The date blog post is going to be a monster. I decided yesterday that I didn't have time to finish it and get it filmed and posted this week, so I wrote a smaller blog post yesterday and I'll try to get it filmed today. I'll finish up the date post next week.

Yesterday was supposed to be cloudy all day with highs in the low 60s. In the afternoon, we went out for a walk and found it was sunny and in the low 70s. Score!

Paula - Yeah, I made that comment about the protesters because here there are the protesters who are protesting because that's what they do, but there are also that segment of people who just seem scared by the economics of what's going on.

Anita - Yeah, sometimes Excel just will not cooperate with dates. It's aggravating. I hope you feel better today! It sounds like a rough night. It would be hard to wear a mask for hours. I'm ready to rip off my mask when I'm leaving the grocery store.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 06:22 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Rough day. Sounds like I'm in good company.

Since my appointment with Subaru was at eleven, I decided to go into the city early to shop. I hadn't been there in six weeks. Trying to avoid the bigger crowds. That worked well at most places, but not Costco. And then I had to come back to town and finish shopping because I couldn't find everything I needed in the city.

The guy at Subaru made me mad, but I was too stupid to realize what he'd done until after I left. I had two coupons, one for $10 and the other for 20%. I couldn't remember how much an oil change was, so I asked him which was the better option. He said the ten-dollar one. Now maybe he's just really bad at math, but the cost of the oil change was $80. Twenty percent off would have been $16. Yeah, I know, it's only $6. But it's the principle of the thing. I miss Kia's customer service. I don't know if the problem is Subaru or just this particular dealership, but I'm not impressed with them. Never have been.

I knew I'd be too tired to work out when I got home, so I did it before leaving. I did my 30-minute customized upper body routine and a Cathe YouTube workout. I was having trouble hearing Cathe and I thought she said, "Let's warm up." But we started out doing jumping jacks. Later, I went back to listen again. What she said was, I assume you have warmed up. Um, no. The workout was only 22 minutes, but it was pretty tough. So I hope I got a sufficient workout because I was right; when I got home, I had a headache and felt like I'd been run over by a truck. I took a two-hour nap. It didn't help that I worked out at seven. I never work out that early!

There was an article in the paper today about how many people are wearing masks. The journalist went out to a few different public places and counted a hundred people in each place. Only 18% of them were wearing masks.

Anita, that fever was odd. I hope it was nothing serious. Sounds like you have a lot planned for today.

Laura, I also envy your ability to walk to the store. Today wouldn't have been the best day, though. We had rain off and on, although I was lucky to miss it. It was always ahead of me or behind me. That was my score for the day.

Paula, are you doing Adriene's Home challenge now or just picking and choosing? I remember you weren't able to do it in January.

Forgive all the grammatical errors. I have no idea what they are, but Grammarly says there are seven of them. Maybe Laura is the only one who will notice.

A tired wave in everyone's direction!
Old 05-06-20, 08:16 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Travis Eliot Yoga Foundations 2 and some stretches on my own. My SIL's dad died today of COVID 19, he was old, frail, and living in a nursing home. He tested positive a few days back and was put into quarentine, things went downhill fast. Family was notified by the faciity that he was going and the family came quickly, they were only able to see him throug a window and talk with him on the phone. I believe he recognized the voices and knew he was loved, I hope so anyway. I'd only met him a few times for short periods, but still...

Anita, frankly that night time fever would scare me, think I'd try to get tested as night fever is typical of COVID 19. Plus you work with bats. If that happens again, I hope you will go. Hope you and Gus had a nice day.

Laura, Yay for a long deep sleep. I have no doubt many people are scared about the economics of the closure, it's killing small business no doubt about that. I don't have the answers. I keep hoping they'll find a middle ground, such as wear masks and/or gloves, limit shoppers etc. The only thing I can't see changing in the forseeable future is dine in restaurants, just don't see how that would work. I think I'll be cutting DH's hair for a while longer. Good luck with your blog post.

Deedee, there are three Subaru dealerships near us and DH will only go to one of them - he dislikes the other two, says they treat customers badly. It's as if they think they don't have to try because there's an endless supply. When companies start to have that attitude a drop in business usually follows. Don't get me started on Apple... People are wearing masks here to shop or order at a drive through restaurant some people wear one just to walk the neighborhood. Here there are stores (most) that have a sign posted you may not enter without one.
Old 05-07-20, 07:41 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

We're planning on having frost warnings tonight and Friday night, so I'll probably be taking my houseplants and orchids back in today and the annuals that I got for the containers. Yesterday went OK, although I did take a nap in the afternoon. I'm feeling fine.

Today, I'm planning on moving the plants, putzing, and maybe mowing my yard. I'll also be taking a chair yoga class. Gus walk in there also.

Laura, hope you got a good night's sleep last night!

Dede, I've had to do multiple shopping trips to cover what's on my list also - used to be able to catch everything in one store... I'd say there's quite a few people wearing masks in the stores here - probably more around the 70%. It will get harder to wear the masks when the temps start warming up though.

Paula, sorry for your family's loss . My hairdresser did call me and set up an appointment for May 21st - i'm hoping our governor doesn't extend the closings again. I'm glad my Subaru dealer is good with the service appointments.

Anita
Old 05-07-20, 05:14 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Anita, there are more than 18% wearing masks in stores, although I don't think we're at 70%. The journalist went to some shopping areas, but not food stores. It's going to get cold here as well, but probably not as cold as where you are. I'm glad you're feeling fine.

Paula, I'm sorry about your SIL's dad. It's hitting people in care homes pretty hard. My aunt is in one. I know our governor decided to test everyone in care homes in the state. My aunt has dementia, so she may not understand why they're sticking a swab up her nose. I hope she's okay. No one can visit her right now.

I did another morning workout today. Not as early as yesterday. A 7 a.m. workout is brutal! I did a leg workout. Sometimes I wonder why I do dedicated lower body workouts. They kill my knees. When I was able to do heavy upper body work, I did those workouts several times a week and did little cardio or total body, so I felt like I needed that one lower body workout. But now that I have to baby my upper body as well, I'm doing lots more cardio and at least one total body workout a week. I also do a few kettlebell squats per week (which don't seem to bother my knees as much as regular squats), and every day I do a 2 1/2 minute wall sit and 20 stability ball wall squats. Those don't bother my knees as much either. I think I'm probably getting enough lower body work with all I do. It's just hard for me mentally to decide not to do one lower body routine anymore. But if I don't, I'm afraid my knees will decide for me.

I'm enjoying the sunshine today. I think we have rain in the forecast.

Waves to everyone!
Old 05-07-20, 08:03 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was a combination of my PT routines and Strong Women/Strong Bones. We went to the boat and hung out there, did a walk in the marina too. Beautiful weather today.

Anita, what a bummer - you just got the plants out in the yard and now you must bring them in again. Frost warnings must be depressing. Its sunny and warm here.

DeeDee, We have a mch higher percentage of people wearing masks around me, maybe because we have more cases? Nursing homes can be a breeding ground for the virus. I try to workout from 7 - 8 everyday - just a morning person I guess. I think diving upper and lower body workouuts can be helpful, just do what you like/love - best motivation of exercise that I knoe of.
Old 05-08-20, 07:11 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC today. We'll be having a cold day today with temps in the 40's - I did bring in all my houseplants, orchids and unplanted annuals, except for the giant Bird of Paradise - that I tried covering with a sheet. I had it on and it blew off in about 20 minutes so I tied it on and it still didn't stay on all night... Hope it survives - right now its 34 outside. I'll retry tying it up tonight as its another freeze warning tonight. Gus walk planned for today - actually like the cooler temps for that!

Dede, I never understood early morning workouts either - our gym at work was open at 6 am for people and also directed workouts at that time - never understood that... . I did try some because of circumstances, but never felt I could put the energy into working out at that time compared to noon or evening workouts. In the days I thought of becoming a fitness instructor, I figured I'd get assigned the early morning hours as a newbie and kind of dreaded that...

Paula, Sounds like a lovely day at the marina! So far, I know of about 6 people that are parents or friends of friends that have died from Covid-19 (beyond news broadcasts of famous or celebrity people), but still distant enough not to even try to go to funerals. I've no idea what they are doing for funerals these days - internet video?

Anita